Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
No, i will not give up.
I will cont. my efforts to run the game.
But it will be not my main target.

yoga never give up.
I started Clouds of Xeen and Ultima 8 Pagan 7-8 times till passed.

By the way i feel little tired after 40 RPG right now.

Even brave needs little rest....

May i ask You very politely, Tomekk, how are your total passed games, if You do not mind? Mine are about 62 games.
I never kept count + I generally stop playing a game if it stops being fun or worthwhile. Sorry, can't give you an answer there.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 28-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

BUMP

Yoga, I know you're currently busy elsewhere, but I just wanted to let you know that after he wanted so much and tried so hard to make this game run but didn't succeed (the same happened to me), this problem is over thanks to the GOG.com release.

So whenever you finish your current adventure and you're looking for a new game you can go for System Shock 2, I really recommend it, as so many other people do! And this time if you get the GOG release you'll have no problems playing it on any computer.

I'd never actually played it before this, and it's now one of my favorite games. I wouldn't say it's perfect, specially as a shooter: a little like the first System Shock, but not so much, SS2 is quite an enjoyable shooter, only melee is stupid and frustrating, which is a shame because you're supposed to use it a lot or you can benefit from it. And during the first part of the game I didn't like how Dr. Polito was holding my hand all the time, even after I started suspecting the truth about her; but the ending is apotheosis, and the whole game hooked me and left me hugely satisfied, which is rare at my age...

We'll be waiting for the Brave to hack Shodan!
Old 29-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Thank you for short review, Japo. I wasn't able to finish SS2 in time, and then my hardware stopped to support it... Maybe I will give it second chance.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 29-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Tomekk
Master of Orion

As someone who has recently played through half of it, I'd be glad to help you chaps out if need be,

- _r.u.s.s.
Old 29-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

You should play it, its second half is better than the first.

What I meant with "a little like the first System Shock but not so much" is that I found SS1 amazing in many aspects, but most of its gameplay is as a shooter, and as such it's kind of terrible. (I think we already had this discussion.) SS2 is not the best shooter there is, specially in melee, which you're supposed to use quite a lot; but it's good enough. And overall it's an amazing game.
Old 29-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
You should play it, its second half is better than the first.
With a fully kitted out shotgun, assault rifle and grenade launcher, easily.

- _r.u.s.s.
Old 29-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Wasn't there a pretty annoying spot a bit later in the game, where monsters respawned like insane right after you killed them? I played SS2 a few times and enjoyed it, but never got past that terrible point, you just get swarmed with the critters. Maybe I should try it again soon, it's been many years now.
Also, it's probably widely known, but the first Bioshock is inspired by System Shock (2 especially) even if toned down a bit. But still also a great game to recommend.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 30-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
With a fully kitted out shotgun, assault rifle and grenade launcher, easily.
I meant the story's better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Wasn't there a pretty annoying spot a bit later in the game, where monsters respawned like insane right after you killed them? I played SS2 a few times and enjoyed it, but never got past that terrible point, you just get swarmed with the critters. Maybe I should try it again soon, it's been many years now.
In SS2 enemies respawn at many places on every level... like it or not. I must confess that at several times I lowered the difficultly level from normal to easy because I just wanted to play the RPG part and the shooter one was too demanding at times, and as I said, not the best one there is. Anyway ammunition sure is very scarce in the beginning and middle of the game, considering that it doesn't respawn like enemies do.

Quote:
Also, it's probably widely known, but the first Bioshock is inspired by System Shock (2 especially) even if toned down a bit. But still also a great game to recommend.
Yes I've heard many times that Bioshock was the "spiritual successor" to SS2, and I have to try it someday. But I think it's even more of a shooter and less of an RPG? And strange as it may sound, I usually don't like magic in RPGs, and I like it even less when they include magic-like features in sci-fi RPGs, such as psi in SS2 (but that was only one of the alternatives you could choose or not), and I hear Bioshock has a similar thing with mutations or plasmoids or something?

Last edited by Japo; 30-04-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 30-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

You are right about plasmids and shooters.

If you want less shooter and more RPG, I would recommend next game from SS2 creators: Deus Ex. Except several obviously magical but plausible "nano-boosters", it's quite sci-fi, and it's much like SS2 in more open environment by my feelings of it.

Another game with similar feelings for me is Thief... ah, wait, it's Ion Storm too!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 30-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Another game with similar feelings for me is Thief... ah, wait, it's Ion Storm too!
Of course it is, System Shock 2 is based on the Thief Engine after all
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty