Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #91

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 23 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]288033[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
In Dosbox I just wrote fg, and i have tried barena.exe too. When I wrote barena.exe the game crashed completely and dissapeared and when I wrote fg it just froze when the map of the planet came.[/b]
[/b]
i had same problem with it crashing on the planet after first island was complete. I had my original disk in so i could hear the music and when i removed the cd it stopped crashing - but also took away the sound. hope that helps this is a great game and i am looking forward to playing it through again

Old 23-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #92
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

do you guys have saves before the planet map appears? maybe we can try to look if we can do something then (i havnt played the game and didnt get to that part so..)
Old 19-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #93
Zwischy

Some random clarifications and extra insight into the game:

Dreggo is so effective against flyers because he has all three attack types - Missile, Skirmish, and Melee. A unit which has any or all of these attacks always uses them in that order: missile rating, then skirmish rating, then melee. Effectively what Dreggo does is 'suck in' the flyers into attacking him by shooting them first...don't try him against Shadow Dragons on the final continent, though, that's asking to get him very dead very quickly, even at 5 shields of experience and with any magical weapon, be it axe or bow.

This is a great way to give other units a serious advantage in combat - give them a new attack type to add to their Melee ratings! I love to give magical bows and crossbows to my cavalry, as that gives them the exact same advantage as Dreggo - they can now initiate attack on flyers, and cavalry can absolutely decimate them with the +8 they get on plains hexes.

Consider giving skirmish weapons (or, yes, missile weapons) to your infantry, especially light infantry. It will greatly enhance their combat abilities, because the missile or skirmish attack which they initially launch allows them to score 'disruptions' on the enemy, which are hits you don't actually see in the battle report - you only see wounds and deaths. These disruption hits can greatly increase the damage your unit does. I especially like to do this with light infantry; they tend to need the help later in the game. Also a great way to defeat cavalry charges even if you already have Negate Cavalry Charge on, say, a Pikemen unit.

You might guess that Archers and Siege Engines don't really gain any benefit from missile or skirmish weapons - their melee/armor scores are too low to avoid a lot of damage anyway. On the other hand, I like to give archers a Staff of Fireball (which has a 3 hex range) or a wand of some sort if that's what I get - they can sidle up next to a unit, use their magical item, then allow your cav and infantry to surround them as they push back the unit you just hit with the archers' magical item. Storm Staff and Staff of Whirlwinds are excellent for archers and especially light cavalry, who can rush in from a fair distance off to screw up a sky hunter's morale before you attack them directly with your own air power.

Siege engines should attack enemy archers first when possible. Don't sacrifice road movement to do it, though. Stay on the road. :P And yes, of course, siege engines are a great aid to your fliers in attacking enemy fliers.

Archers should attack skirmishers - they'll usually do more damage than hitting infantry, plus skirmishers can't hit back. Of course archers get most of their experience from defensive fire, but some attacking does them good.

Skirmishers truly are nasty against units slower than they. They should always attack after siege engines and bombardiers do their thing.

Light cavalry will trade a lot of morale to reduce their wounds and deaths, so make sure your light cav always have retreat hexes available.

Malric the Dragon Rider is one of the best units in the game, at least for the first three or four continents. He can often single-handedly destroy a fresh full-strength unit within two turns, and has the mobility to get there.
Zwischy is offline                         Send a private message to Zwischy
Old 23-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #94

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 18 2005, 06:19 AM) [snapback]190113[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi,
so there's a lot of talking about how good the music of FG is. I do agree, because a long time ago I had a chance to play it and now I managed to download three songs from the soundtrack.
Please, who has the original age and is willing and able to rip the music, please let me know, post it somewhere, send me it to my mail, I'll then upload it to rapidshare.de .

Thanks,
Alexandr
[BEEEP]
[/b]
Would someone (admin?) please edit this post so my mail as "[BEEEP]" not that original format? Thanks.

Old 24-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #95
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 24 2007, 01:57 AM) [snapback]291093[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Would someone (admin?) please edit this post so my mail as xxxxxxxxxxxxx not that original format? Thanks.
[/b]
I'm not an admin or mod, but please don't post email adresses in the forum. It's really for your own good, with all this snooping around.

Reported
Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #96

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rummtata @ Sep 4 2005, 11:04 PM) [snapback]151434[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
:help:
Fantay General itself is great but I can't move my cursor properly ingame, it's far too slow. It makes playing the game a mess -_- I use a standard Logitech optical mouse with the default WinXP drivers. The problem occurs both when I start the game with DosBox and without.
Do you have the same problem? Any ideas how to solve it?
[/b]
i've got the same problem, but i couldn't get fantasy general running in dosbox yet so raising mouse sensitivity there is no option... and even if i raise mouse sensitivity in windows to maximum the ingame-mouse is slllloooooooww... does anyone know a way to fix this?? thx!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #97
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Increase the sensitivity in Dosbox.conf.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #98
old timer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 23 2007, 02:30 AM) [snapback]288034[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 23 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]288033[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
In Dosbox I just wrote fg, and i have tried barena.exe too. When I wrote barena.exe the game crashed completely and dissapeared and when I wrote fg it just froze when the map of the planet came.[/b]
[/b]
i had same problem with it crashing on the planet after first island was complete. I had my original disk in so i could hear the music and when i removed the cd it stopped crashing - but also took away the sound. hope that helps this is a great game and i am looking forward to playing it through again
[/b][/quote]

I have the same difficulty with the game crashing after the first continent. Unfortunately I do not have the original disk anymore. Is there anything about the downloadable program that can be changed to fix the problem (or a Dosbox fix)? I've configured the game correctly, and I have a brand new system, so it's not a sound or memory problem. It would be great if I can get it to work, I played the game a lot in my younger days (if only SSI still existed).

Old 22-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #99

Hi there, sorry to ask this, but I just cant get this game to work. I've tried everything! I really want to play it again. I used have the CD many many many years ago, when I was still living back home (another continent).... and I am so greatful that I have found it again but I JUST CANT SEEM TO GET IT WORKING *CRIES*

I've tried DOSBox, not working - unless ive done something wrong - but I followed the instructions to the T.
I have also tried VDMSound thingy.

What happens is that as soon as I run any of the files (exe. etc) it tries to start up, but gets stuck at a blank screen... I then need to restart my computer each time...

Help. Please. Ure my last hope of sanity!

love love love,
-R

Old 22-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #100
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

DOSBox works just fine.

Here's what I did and got the game to run:

1. Downloaded and unzipped the game.
2. Moved the FG folder I got into DOSGAMES folder on my E: drive (E:\dosgames\fg)
3. Started DOSBox and put in the following commands (press enter after each command line):
mount c e:\dosgames\
c:
CD FG
FG

If you don't have a DOSGAMES folder I strongly recomend you make one and keep all the games you want to run with DOSBox in there.
If the DOSGAMES folder is on any other disk then E (you might have it on any hard-disk or partition with any possible letter) please change the letter E in the mount command.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos