Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
mathias603
Lurker

Hi everyone, I'm new to these boards after just finding the site. I've downloaded and installed Fantasy General and while I've gotten it to run using DOSBOX there is no sound. While I understand that there will be no music since it's not the CD version, there is not any sound effects at all.

I've tried running the game using VDMSound and it wouldn't even open the game successfully. In reading the review I noted the following was mentioned:

"I could only get the sound to work with VDMSound initialised; running DOSBox normally doesn’t seem to get it to work. The music is very good and atmospheric, although personally I prefer playing with some of my own in the background."

So is there a way to run the VDMSound driver AND run DOSBOX?

Also I've tried working with the game's SOUND bat file, which brings up the sound config program for FG, and have tried a number of different configurations therein but to no avail (matching the IRQ address to that of the DOSBOX config, etc). I've tried doing so even with the DOSBOX FG game running to see if it recognizes the emulated driver, but it doesn't. And the FG sound config program doesn't seem to retain settings if if doesn't "find" a sound device to match them (and it never does), so it's always back to square one.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. =)
mathias603 is offline                         Send a private message to mathias603
Old 18-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

There is no beneficial use of both programs at the same time. You should use one or the other, not both.

You could, however, use VDMSound along with a CPU killer.