Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #331
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Apr 27 2006, 12:31 AM
If you control 1/3 of the galaxy or less the fight is over and lucky when you got 2/3 it ends.
It all depends on what systems you let the AI control.

My current game for example. 7 species

I control 63 planets and 29 systems

The remaining 6 species control 3 planets each (18 planets) and actually control a total of 10 systems. There are I think 2 uncontroled systems left with tiny husk planets nobody has colonized.

I control far over the 1/3 limit of the galaxy

ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 28-04-2006, 02:47 AM   #332
laiocfar
NOD Commander

The AI only is a threat to small empires. When you get enought planets, they are walking deads.
Old 29-04-2006, 04:48 AM   #333
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Yeah too bad the AI wasnt better If it was smarter and gameplay had a few little tweaks here and there "Ascendancy" could have been one of the best of the 4x space strategy games of its era, perhaps of all time.

The AI species are much tougher with the Antag patch but mainly because it allows the AI to cheat and gives it bonuses in Industry, Research ETC..

I have to give "Galactic Civilization II" a try, I heard its AI is hard to beat on higher levels and they claim it doesn't cheat at all.

BTW on the game I mentioned in the above post I got the Extinction ending :Titan: I managed to kill every species in a single turn (which wasnt that hard since they had only 3 colonies each). It gave me the Title "Interstellar Death-Dealer" at the ending screen.

Much more fun then the 1/3 ending
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 29-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #334
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Interstellar Death-Dealer? wow, i never dreamed something like that, the problem with most of the space civilization games is that they were made to internet multyplay mode so they become very repetitive and the ai is just a lastminute add to the game.
Old 29-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #335
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Yeah making a hard to beat A.I in strategy games of this type is no easy task either (well unless you let them cheat). There are just so many variables to have the AI deal with. It takes Super computers to be able to make A.Is that can beat the best players in the world at Chess and Im pretty sure the variables in chess though massive pale when compared to every possible variable in a game like Ascendancy.

Thats one thing that has me interested in this new game GC II, Because they never created any multiplayer for the game and sank alot of time into the A.I.
Old 30-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #336
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX@Apr 29 2006, 07:20 PM
Thats one thing that has me interested in this new game GC II, Because they never created any multiplayer for the game and sank alot of time into the A.I.
All the more shame they gave up the contract to make Master of Magic II. But really, MoM2 would probably have had too many variables for them to handle--so perhaps they were wise to abandon it.

Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #337
help needed

my mouse is *meep*in slow...

Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #338
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Are you running the game in DosBOX?

I never had any problems with mouse speed in Dosbox though I do have to speed the game up with Ctrl-F12 to make it run smooth.
Old 21-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #339
Abbu

:bye:

well, I love the game, found it yesterday and researched with my Orfas already the whole tree.. getting annoyed by the micromanagement and the fact that I can demolish all my researching planets.. but so what..
but, I still have one problem: in order to win, what do I have to accomplish? destroy all the other races :eeeeeh: or what?

:help:

Old 22-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #340
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Well theres a couple of ways to win.

The 1/3 win- The easiest and the one most people get is what is known as 1/3 win. When you control 1/3 of the galaxy (it has to be connected) you win the game you expanded so far no other race can stop you. If you leave choice worlds in alien hands that break up your empire you can control much more then 1/3

The Peace ending- you get this one when you have a alliance with all living races in the galaxy and usher in a era of peace.

The Extinction ending- this happens when you completly wipe out all alien races.

There is also a ending when you take over all the other races home systems, though I can't remember what that ending is called.

Thats all the ways to win I have found in the game.