Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #211
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Sep 14 2005, 09:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Sep 14 2005, 09:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ugabugakid@Sep 14 2005, 04:11 PM
I've sent a PM to people (Kosta, Phantasma) but still got no answer.
I'm wanting to translate into brazilian portuguese. Anyone else?
There are a couple of people working on a Portuguese translation in fact: Shrek, SupSuper, Otaku Dash and little fish. I'm sure they'll be delighted if you join them. [/b][/quote]
Although we're working on a "native portuguese" (from Portugal) translation, while he wants to work on a "brazilian portuguese" translation. They're not very different from each other, but they're still different :P
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 14-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #212
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

I don' t think that there is such thing as "Brazilian Portuguese". I belive there is only Portuguese; and Brazilian is just (i don' t know if there are any other portuguese who will agree with this) ... Portuguese with a very strong "accent". it' s almost like "English" and "American English" and i don' t see anyone translating the site to "American English"....

Any way, i don' t know if i speak for the rest of the team members, but if you wish to translate to Portuguese with us, i welcome you. since you don' t have acess to the translators forum maybe i can make a small breefing (this is a copy of what we have in that forum):

Total number of game reviews translated to Portuguese: 70 from a total of 610
Translated reviews from downloadble games: 46
Translated reviews from not-downloadble games: 24

Number of game reviews currently being translated to Portuguese: 26

So as you can see, we still have 80 more reviews to translate to put the Portuguese version online, and around 500 to catch the main site
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 14-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #213
ugabugakid
Forum hobbit

Quote:

2. Once you have decided that you REALLY want to do it, *you should notify Kosta about it. He will create an admin account using which you will be able to **translate the interface into your language. After that is done, you can start working on reviews.

3. For each language in which Abandonia appears, there is a separate administration page. This means you will be able to add translations and post news by yourself, without mine or anyone else's help. However, ***in order for me to open up the admin account for you, you will have to supply 150 reviews prior to that. This is needed because I want to see that you are really determined to do this.

4. Once the 150 reviews have been done, you're on your own. Send me a PM and I'll make it all happen! Consistency is the main thing when updating your language-specific page. Try and make at least one translation every few days and add the games consistently through time. Basically keep the site alive
Okay,
*So should I wait for Kosta to answer?
**Didn't someone already do that? Do I need to do it again?
***So should I just make the 150 translations/reviews and save them on a *.txt file? Because if I don't have this adm. account, I'll not know what reviews have already been translated - so it's kind certain that some reviews will be repeated.
Should I contact the people already working in brazilian portuguese translation and let them know that I'm wanting to join them?

Sorry for asking too much questions.
See ya.

[PS: (I'm the only one who thinks this smilie looks like Ryu, from Street Fighter, making a Hadouken?)]
ugabugakid is offline                         Send a private message to ugabugakid
Old 14-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #214
ugabugakid
Forum hobbit

Cool

Quote:

I don' t think that there is such thing as "Brazilian Portuguese". I belive there is only Portuguese; and Brazilian is just (i don' t know if there are any other portuguese who will agree with this) ... Portuguese with a very strong "accent". it' s almost like "English" and "American English" and i don' t see anyone translating the site to "American English"....
Quote:

Although we're working on a "native portuguese" (from Portugal) translation, while he wants to work on a "brazilian portuguese" translation. They're not very different from each other, but they're still different.
I do agree with you guys when referring to reading. It doesn't make too much difference when reading native portuguese or brazilian portuguese, specially in a site like this. But brazilian portuguese is more complex, because lots of words came from the natives (the most famous native language is the tupi-guarani), other* words from the black slaves that were exploited until the end of the XIX century, other from french, other from spanish, english, etc. And also, there're lots of regional differences, as the black influence in vocabulary is bigger in the north-east, and the native-european influence in south-east.
In south of Brazil, most of people use the original form of 2nd person, that's "tu". But in south-east (where I live) it's more common to use the personal pronoum "voce", that conjugates like 3rd person, but works like 2nd person.
Yet, these are not important HERE. We should use formal language, not complicated words.

I've said I'd like to do translation in brazilian portuguese because there's brazilian portuguese in this topic I thought it would be best if there were these two categories, to translated into brazilian portuguese, because that's my native language, not portuguese from Portugal.

Shrek, can you send me a list of reviews that were already translated and are being translated, so I don't do it again?

See ya.
ugabugakid is offline                         Send a private message to ugabugakid
Old 14-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #215
ugabugakid
Forum hobbit

This is off-topic.
When I use "other", do I agree with number?
For example:
Other nation or others nation?

Now that I'm looking into it, it seems that "other" and "others" do not mean the same thing. Maybe the first is the same as "another" and the second is "something that belongs to other people". Maybe?
Old 15-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #216
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrek@Sep 14 2005, 10:51 PM

Any way, i don' t know if i speak for the rest of the team members, but if you wish to translate to Portuguese with us, i welcome you. since you don' t have acess to the translators forum maybe i can make a small breefing (this is a copy of what we have in that forum):

Total number of game reviews translated to Portuguese: 70 from a total of 610
Translated reviews from downloadble games: 46
Translated reviews from not-downloadble games: 24

Number of game reviews currently being translated to Portuguese: 26

So as you can see, we still have 80 more reviews to translate to put the Portuguese version online, and around 500 to catch the main site
i agree with shrek , the portuguese, is only one language in affric, some country´s speak portuguese with a mix off is natural language but it calls portuguese language, and a congratulated a new freind here, and most important , one more to help us....I think?
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno
Old 15-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #217
ugabugakid
Forum hobbit

Cool

If I'm allowed to help I'll.
I'll help little 'til november. My efforts will mostly start in December and January, and will be concentrated in February and March, because - I hope - I'll have no class in Feb. and March, because now I'm in High School, last year, and if I'm not too sloppy, I'll pass the exams to enter the University.

What I think about portuguese, is that we can't say that all portuguese is the same, but we can say that it doesn't matter if this work here is going to be done in Portugal's portuguese or Brazil's portuguese or Angola's portuguese or East Timor's portuguese, because Abandonia is mostly informal. We're not here to study grammar - actually I don't really like grammar... anyway.

Plz. Someone send me a list of already reviewed and in review games, so I don't do it again.
Old 15-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #218
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you can't access the translators' forum at the moment, why don't you PM another admin about it, then? Braindead or Tom should be able to add you as well. That would be easier for you than having to discuss everything in this thread...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 15-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #219
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Sep 15 2005, 09:17 AM
If you can't access the translators' forum at the moment, why don't you PM another admin about it, then? Braindead or Tom should be able to add you as well. That would be easier for you than having to discuss everything in this thread...
Done. k:
Old 15-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #220
gorkur
Abandonia nerd

Translators forum?? :blink:

Translating into Icelandic. It's really dependant on my shift schedule at work but I'm trying to have at least one review uploaded a day k:
gorkur is offline                         Send a private message to gorkur