Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Lord_Scather
Forum hobbit

Hi! I'm a (beginning) german Fantasy and Sci-Fi author...

Actally I am working on three (different) novels, and would like to ask if someone feels capable of translating german to english or (the smaller task) would like to scan my own translations and suggest changes in structure/word-uses/typos.

If I get positive responses, I would go to work at once and try translating some single chapters and post them here (In a new thread, for example) for reviewing/teasing.

For offerings on full translations to english plz send a message.

Works in progress:

Goblins! - Humourus fantasy about the little orc-servants (NOT inspired by Gobliins games)

Alpha Wing - Sci-Fi about a Pilot-Squadron inspired by the Wing Commander, Elite, Freespace Games and, of course, the X-Wing series by M. Stackpole and A. Alliston

Legend of Imuriel
- Classic Fantasy inspired by old AD&D games and Conan-Stories (regular Blood/Sword/Magic Tale)

Some short-stories are planned and already in mental work

Plz post which ones you may be particulary interested in
THX

(I am aware that this post might be a bit off-topic, if not wholly on the wrong forum, but since all my Stories have some base in Computer Games, I thought it is worth a try with great Abandonia! so sorry for that)

Addition: I almost forgot. I have a finished parody on Star Wars (needs a few finishing touches and probly a better ending) This one was already read by some friends of mine, and I told 'em to be serious about the critics. They all found the Novel funny as hell. Probly I am going to translate bits of it and post them soon.

(What we really need is a Calvin & Hobbes game)
Lord_Scather is offline                         Send a private message to Lord_Scather
Old 24-05-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

It's enough on-topic to stay here. Unfortunately, my German isn't good enough to make me a good translator.

TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 24-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Lord_Scather
Forum hobbit

Here's a few lines from Goblins!...

<...>
Scrawl and the other three goblins were facing the only surviving human. Apparently, it was a woman, and she was holding a cloth-wrapped bundle in her arm. In her right hand she held a longsword, and they saw that she had trouble wielding it. With a grim yet calm face she awaited her attackers. Scrawl hesitated for a moment, because he felt something like respect for their victim. Then the woman laid aside the bundle, and grasping the sword with both hands, she let out a battlecry and attacked the goblins. The spell broke, Scrawl drew a knife from his belt and shot it at the human. The Woman sank to the floor, the knife between her eyes. The goblin-leader prodded her with a foot, whilst Torgh, the biggest goblin of the squad, walked over to the bundle, looking at it. He drew a face and said: "A human baby. Pretty ugly, this."
Then his expression lightened up and he put forth the idea: "Hey, we could roast it!"
Grima, the goblin huntress, snorted and whacked him on the head with her fist. Then she picked up the bundle and said: "Idiot! You're no better than an orc! It cannot defend itself! Touch it and I'll eat you!"
With that she went down the wooden stairs. Scrawl and Thorg exchanged a look, and Scrawl shrugged. "Women. Do we have to understand that?"
Both greenlings laughed and went down, too.
<...>
As they were ready to leave the Farm, Scrawl noticed that Grima was still holding the little human. "You're not going to take it with you, do you?" he asked, bewildered.
"Of course not", she answered, "but I'm not going to leave it back there to die. I'm going to lay it on the path, so that the farmers will find it."
Thorg mumbled: "Too bad, it would've tasted good for sure."
Grima let out a good assortion of goblin swearings, all aimed at the clumsy soldier.
Scrawl shook his head and headed off to the plains, the nine goblins trailing after him.
<...>

(So, plz tell me what you think. Plz note that I translated on-the-fly, and that my grammar is a little rusty. Suggestions/opinions welcome!)

Lord_Scather is offline                         Send a private message to Lord_Scather
Old 24-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

The best i could do for you is an english to italian translation... so i can't help you!

Anyway i'm a "writer" too, and i can tell you wath i think about the things you posted/will post.

I find that Goblins! is a nice idea! But the piece you posted suonds a bit "dry": for wath you are writing? A book or for something to put in the web? In the second case that could be favourable, but not for a book...
This is only my opinion, and you can don't mind about it...
Old 24-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Lord_Scather
Forum hobbit

THX for the reply. To answer your questions: Goblins! becomes a full-scale (and hopefully printed) novel, it is actually past chapter nine. And yes, that wasn't the best bit from a particulary good scene, but as i mentioned, I posted it without having my actual work in front of me (I'm surfing at my parents pc, for I cannot pay a good internet-Connection in my home) and I certainly couldn't translate the correct text i wrote. did it from memory.

but ur opinion got noticed and will be considered. ty again. if I get more of this, I will probably put it on the net. (IF someone volunteers for scanning the texts and wipes out the worst spelling/wording errors, that is. if not, it probably stays german....)