Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
catchaserguns
Games Master

Default Uninstall loop

I'd just got this Dell computer and I tried to uninstall xp. Now I'm in some sort of loop in which i cant uninstall and the uninstall process keeps on repeating itself. At the end of the install it says setup cannot create the folder \America Online 6.0\download\FlyerForMarch2. Setup cannot continue until this folder is created. I press enter and nothing happens. When I press F3 to exit setup it restarts the computer and the uninstall process starts all over again. I can't even install another OS because its stuck in that loop. I even put in the xp install disc and it continues in the loop so I can' t delete the partition. Any help will do. Thanks
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 26-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

You will need a bootable partition tool, erase the old XP partirion and probably a hidden boot/system/recovery/whatever partition.
Some of them:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php (my personal fav)
http://easeus-partition-master.nl.softonic.com/
Etcetera ... any bootable partition tool will do.

Notice: If you never worked with them things a warning, you can screw up things pretty badly .... just saying.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't understand the concept of asking an OS to uninstall itself; and why would you use an AOL/OEM mongrel setup utility? Never mind it. Just wipe the hard disk. Then you can always install another OS.

The first step, as Dosraider says--but it needn't be complicated--is to boot from a different disk than your hard disk. You can do that with any kind of bootable CD or USB, including many OS installation disks which are most times bootable. To boot from another drive than the hard disk, you'll have to press a certain key during BIOS boot as instructed on screen, or at most temporarily reconfigure the boot sequence in the BIOS.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
catchaserguns
Games Master

Good News. I had my friend wipe the HD and was able to put on Windows 98. I ended up downloading the drivers last night. The video driver was easy but it took me a few hours to find the correct Sound Blaster Live Drivers. Now its working fine.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns