Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

We are already talking about our favorite film composers, but what about OUTSIDE of film composers, but staying modern?

Probably one of my number one, is Eric Whitacre. I believe this man to be one of the most outstanding composers of our time. What makes it even more amazing, is that he is only twenty seven or something like that. His use of cluster chords and his instrumentation. Damn, some of his pieces make me want to cry they are so beautiful. I've performed several of his pieces, both Choral and Wind Ensemble. Choral: When David Heard, Lux Aurumque, Waternight, Cloud Burst, Sleep (Stopping by woods on a snowy evening), and Leonardo Dreams of his Flying Machine. All of those choral pieces are absolutely amazing, and if you have the opportunity download them if you can. If they are done by a good group, they have the power to make you cry. Go to Eric Whitacres website and you can hear clips of his songs (some of them he has the whole song available for download.) I think my favorite of the Choral I've performed is probably When David Heard. It's haunting, and filled with so much anguish. It is probably one of the hardest songs I have ever sung too, because it is near impossible to stay in tune for fifteen minutes of accapella singing, with sections of silence that last between five to twenty seconds.

Wind Ensemble pieces I have performed: Equus, October, Sleep, Cloud Burst, and the three movements of Ghost Train. October is the most beautiful of those pieces, while Equus is probably the most grand and amazing...listening to Equus makes me laugh and smile because the arrangments are so great.

Basically, I am a huge fan of the four members of BMC International (Whitacre, Bonney, Bryant, Newman.) I played Bonney's Chaos Theory guitar concerto, which was soooo fun, and very very cool. Two years ago I performed October on the stage of Carnegie Hall (one of the most amazing experiences of my life)

I like Frank Tichelli as well. I played Blue Shades, an extremely fun piece that is just so...awesome :bleh: Tichelli also has an amazing arrangement of Shanendoah...beautifully orchestrated.

The same year I performed at Carnegie Hall in competition, we also performed David Holsinger's To Tame the Perilous Skies. It is probably one of the hardest pieces I have performed with a wind ensemble. I swear, there was every possible time signature in the world in there (every combination of */4 and *8)

I like Jack Stamp too, but not as much as the ones above. Although Past Time is pretty cool.

My two cents. Anyone else please?
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ