Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
DiabloArcade

Default Janes AH-64 Longbow (Memory Error)

I decided to take up the time to look for and try to get this running . The installation was pain free , but when i attempt to run it i keep getting it to run i get an error that says " not enough memory to allocate file structures". Im at a loss of what to do , help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
DiabloArcade is offline                         Send a private message to DiabloArcade
Old 16-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

First thing that come to mind is that you would rather have too much memory rather than not enough. Some old games can't handle the incredible amount of memory we have nowaday since game designers and even computer designers could not fathom at the time we would get there so fast.

I have found this thread on DosBox Forums and I am linking it here for you for future reference. It might be useful for you.

For your current problem, try editing your DOSBox configuration file and go change it for mem size=256 and see if it does the trick for ya.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
DiabloArcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
First thing that come to mind is that you would rather have too much memory rather than not enough. Some old games can't handle the incredible amount of memory we have nowaday since game designers and even computer designers could not fathom at the time we would get there so fast.

I have found this thread on DosBox Forums and I am linking it here for you for future reference. It might be useful for you.

For your current problem, try editing your DOSBox configuration file and go change it for mem size=256 and see if it does the trick for ya.
I'll try it out .Thanks for the help - I thought i would be able to play this again after my disc broke (this was an ISO image i got off my buddy)
DiabloArcade is offline                         Send a private message to DiabloArcade
Old 16-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
DiabloArcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloArcade View Post
I'll try it out .Thanks for the help - I thought i would be able to play this again after my disc broke (this was an ISO image i got off my buddy)
Extremely n00b question but - were can i find the mem size portaion. I have the .conf file open - but where exactly do i look.
'
EDIT: Found it - change it to 256 , and it still is giving me the error.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you look at the thread I have linked, is there anything related to memory which could be different from what you have right now?

You can find easily what you need by pressing CTRL-F.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
DiabloArcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
If you look at the thread I have linked, is there anything related to memory which could be different from what you have right now?

You can find easily what you need by pressing CTRL-F.
There was 2 posts on that thread: first one says
conf
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1024x768
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.50

frameskip=1
aspect=false
scaler=none

core=normal [all others skippy]
cycles=26000

If anybody has any tips, I am listening.

Also, I've used DIAG to lock my refresh rate at 85.

second one says:
Mein conf revisited:

mem size=256

ems and xms = false
gus and pc speaker = false

blocksize=3072
prebuffer=64

But I did check it out after doing your method - but im not really able to make a lot of sence out of it. I changed the conf file to what they have -but it still keeps giving me the error. I was thinking of using an older PC i may have or Virtual PC Running win95/98. You think it might work?
Old 16-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

You can leave the default "memsize=16" or experiment intermediate values. The game's pretty modern so it should be able to find high values. By the way it's "memsize" together, lose all the spaces (including before and after the "=" just in case).

Also try every combination of "true" and "false" for "xms" and "ems".

First of all, if you don't have the latest DOSBox version, install it, and in the start menu click on the "reset options" shortcut in the DOSBox folder. Try the game with that, and only then try changing the configuration if it doesn't work.

Last edited by Japo; 16-06-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 16-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

YOu could see if using loadfix helps.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

Sure, although the game is from 1996
Old 17-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
DiabloArcade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Sure, although the game is from 1996
"It seems to be working .. i think . I ran it with the loadfix command (loadfix -lb) and it seems to be running but it displays this:

AH-64 Longbow v1.07F
Copyright 1996 Origin Systems, Inc.
Copyright 1996 Jane's Information Group Limited

VESA 2.0 support detected!

Running under MSDOS

You do not seem to have a disc catching utillity sucj as SMARTDRV loaded!
For maximum performance, we suggest you use a disk catching utility
Please consult the install guide for more information

Hit Y to load SMARTDRV, SPACE to continue , or ESC to abort "

so I guess its working but it also says i need a CD , so i guess find a Crack or a Disc Catching utlility - or both.