Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Kuisoon11

Angry Svchost.exe/iexplore.exe mass memory problem!

Okay, heres the deal. My once perfectly fine computer seems to be running into the ground performance wise :\ My processes are filled with random junk it never used to have. I have at all times 9 Svchost.exe's running and one of which uses over 140K of memory yes that much, and thats just one of them! and to add to my fun I constantly have two iexplore.exe's running both of which take up more than 60k each, and when i terminate them they. Just. Come. Back. I don't even use internet explore! This is really starting to get on my nerves and I really want to know whats wrong :\ I've ran multiple malware/spyware/virus scans, cleaned what was on it but these problems still won't go away.

Any suggestions?
Kuisoon11 is offline                         Send a private message to Kuisoon11
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

It's normal to have several instances of svchost.exe running. Those are services--though not all services run in instances of svchost.exe, anyway you can see what services are installed and what ones running by typing "services.msc" into "start > run".

There must be something wrong if you aren't using Internet Explorer. However it's also normal that the latest versions of IE use two instances of iexplore.exe. You are sure it's iexplore.exe and not explorer.exe?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Post a hijackthis log.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
+
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

dosraider beat me to it

just check out the process explorer and which services inside svchost are useless junk you will get rid of
Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Wicky
the little viking

It's unavoidable that windows becomes slower after a long time. Sometimes you just have to reinstall it fresh.
You might even get one of those programs which can save an image of the harddisc bit for bit. Then, when you need it, you can restore a backup of your perfectly configured windows in like 5 minutes, update the drivers and voilá.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Kuisoon11

Unhappy

What exactly is Hijack this, I've seen alot about it but I'm not a techy person and I don't understand it at all (same with the command prompt diagnoses thing) the internet explore thing still bugs me, and yes I'm positive its iexplore not explore. But I will post reports if you can explain me alittle how to use them ^^; (n00b)

New stuffs been happenin to my computer now, I'm afraid I'm being attacked by a virus I'll get those windows error report messages like 5 times while I'm on the computer and sometimes they get rid of my explore.exe and my tool bar disappears but now its got rid of my windows xp theme and now I'm stuck with only the classical version, I haven't done a restart yet, i'm sure it will fix it but i don't know whats wrong. Malbytes anti-Malware won't open, even after I uninstall and re-install, so I can't run on that so I've ran Ccleaner and spybot, got rid of the stuff it found but somethings still wrong. Spybot is constantly finding affected files and I would like to know if theres a better protection program I can get :\ sorry lots of text I'm just kinda flabbergasted at the moment My computers never gone this rotten before...
Kuisoon11 is offline                         Send a private message to Kuisoon11
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

It might be the so-called "Prefetch" virus. Look for an ini file in your windows prefetch folder. If the whole mess stops slowing your computer down when you delete the contents of that folder, then you know. Sometimes associated with the Ravmon flash-drive malware. Search your computer for Ravmon or ravmonlog. Do a simple search for this name and see what pops up. Any svchost or whatever that's IN CAPS is likely to be a part of this problem. Try using Malware Bites. And do a deep external scan (preferably from a web scanner) to ensure you don't have any underlying viruses. Then please install Avast and/or Microsoft Security Essentials. A friend recommended it to me because MSE doesn't have a database that needs constant updating, so it's far better than Nortons in recognising threats, and it's free. I'm gonna put it on my home puter asap. And let us know if you have to reinstall Windows or not. Also, make sure all the stuff you've deleted isn't hiding in your last system save state thingy, only to be put back in place the next time you boot up.

We're having endless problems with the autorun.ini virus, Fichiers.exe, and ravmonlog on our flash drives over the past few years, because there haven't ever been antivirus programmes on our editing suites. Multiple use of flash drives in our offices has buggered up a lot of our pc's as a consequence. Matthew doesn't believe there's such a thing as ravmon or autorun malware - but at least Wesley does. They still don't see the need to put antivirus on the Avid and Liquid machines, because they don't have an internet connection. If any of you read about Mysterious Poisoning of South African IT Department With Strychnine, you'll be able to blackmail me :P

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuisoon11 View Post
What exactly is Hijack this, I've seen alot about it but I'm not a techy person and I don't understand it at all (same with the command prompt diagnoses thing) the internet explore thing still bugs me, and yes I'm positive its iexplore not explore. But I will post reports if you can explain me alittle how to use them ^^; (n00b)
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
Just get it, install it, run it and post here the log it generated.

Quote:
New stuffs been happenin to my computer now, I'm afraid I'm being attacked by a virus I'll get those windows error report messages like 5 times while I'm on the computer and sometimes they get rid of my explore.exe and my tool bar disappears but now its got rid of my windows xp theme and now I'm stuck with only the classical version, I haven't done a restart yet, i'm sure it will fix it but i don't know whats wrong. Malbytes anti-Malware won't open, even after I uninstall and re-install, so I can't run on that so I've ran Ccleaner and spybot, got rid of the stuff it found but somethings still wrong. Spybot is constantly finding affected files and I would like to know if theres a better protection program I can get :\ sorry lots of text I'm just kinda flabbergasted at the moment My computers never gone this rotten before...
Some files can only be gotten rid of in Safe Mode. Boot into Safe Mode, then run the antivirus programs.
Also, CCleaner is a not an anti-malware application.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuisoon11 View Post
What exactly is Hijack this, I've seen alot about it but I'm not a techy person and I don't understand it at all (same with the command prompt diagnoses thing) the internet explore thing still bugs me, and yes I'm positive its iexp bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla