Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Dmaner

Default An old RPG. With Minotaurs!

Hello, I've looking for this game for years and no one has been able to help me.

8-10 years ago, I had a collection of shareware games that came bundled together in a cd. The compilation was made by a local company here that went broke a long time ago.

Anyway, I remember one of those games in particular, it was a sort of RPG, where you had to travel through labyrinths. I remember that each level of the dungeon was placed on a grid, of for example 20x20, where each square had a room and one or more exits, north, south, east or west. I also remember that you could get out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to several towns where you could buy stuff. I remember one of those towns was a ghost town. I also remember the game had several different races to choose from, but I only remember Minotaurs.

The version I had was a short demo, since the game was shareware.

I'm sorry about the lack of details, but if anyone has any idea, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
Dmaner is offline                         Send a private message to Dmaner
Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
Dmaner

Exclamation An old RPG. With Minotaurs!

This one has been driving me crazy for years.

Some 8-10 years ago I had a compilation of shareware games that came all together on a cd. That compilation was made by a small local company which has disappeared a long time ago. I remember one game in particular, an RPG/Adventure type of game, where you would choose a name, a race, and a couple of other things, and then appeared in a dungeon. I remember the dungeon had many levels, and that each level was a grid of, for example, 20x20, where each square was a room with exits north south east or west. I also remember that you could come out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to different towns where you could buy stuff. I remember Minotaurs were one of the races, and also that one of the monsters you could encounter was a mimic that looked like a chest.

The game I played was a short demo.

Since the game came in a shareware package, I have no idea when it was published. I'm sure that it has to be pre-2000. The graphics were all very simple.

If it rings a bell to anyone, please tell me!

Thanks.
Dmaner is offline                         Send a private message to Dmaner
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Merged the two threads together since it's about the same game, and both have been posted today.

As for the game I have no idea what it could be...but it sounds interesting.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaner View Post
If it rings a bell to anyone, please tell me!

Thanks.
To be honnest, it rings a lot of bells, a complete carillon of them bells.
Meaning: your description covers approx 75-90% of the RPGs I ever played.
If you can't give some specific details for the game you're looking for it's gonna be a hard one to find.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Well, I am doubt about 90% of RPGs. Not all RPGs have "room differentiation", and not all RPGs have chest mimics. And definitely not all of them starts in dungeon and have many towns. Actually, roguelikes would be prime suspected, but I cannot remember any RL with squared locations, except one, text-based, here on AB, but it is haven't cities.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
wardencz
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to wardencz

He said that there is possibility to play as a minotaur, that might give a clue to some1.
In my case I have no idea.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
wardencz
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to wardencz

Now, I found a page about minotaur race being in AD&D first edition, furthermore, they are mentioned as Minotaurs of Krynn so I would assume that it might have been one of the games of the AD&D saga from Krynn.
Just a thought.
EDIT:
Champions of Krynn
The dark queen of Krynn
Death knights of Krynn

Last edited by wardencz; 01-12-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: AD
wardencz is offline                         Send a private message to wardencz
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You should write something about graphics, the view etc.

Considering the 20x20 levels in dungeons, it surely reminds of rouge-likes. Check these rogue-clones and comment graphics, presentation, anything that may come to mind.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaner View Post
Anyway, I remember one of those games in particular, it was a sort of RPG, where you had to travel through labyrinths. I remember that each level of the dungeon was placed on a grid, of for example 20x20, where each square had a room and one or more exits, north, south, east or west. I also remember that you could get out of the dungeon and travel, using a map overview, to several towns where you could buy stuff. I remember one of those towns was a ghost town. I also remember the game had several different races to choose from, but I only remember Minotaurs.
It hits me yesterday: could it be one of Might and Magic? It have square dungeons, minotaurs (but I forgot, whether they could be playable or not) and definitely ghost city!

Another suspect is Mordor but it definitely haven't any cities except the first.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
It hits me yesterday: could it be one of Might and Magic? It have square dungeons, minotaurs (but I forgot, whether they could be playable or not) and definitely ghost city!
There is Humans, Dwarfs, Elven, Gnoms, Orks, but no Minotaurs at last in the first 5 Parts of the Series. Dont remember if there is playable Minotaurs in the latter Parts of the Series (MM 6-9).

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco