Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #31
IamGoddess

Wow, sounds like I missed a lot when I was in my romantic novel phase :P. Yeah, I used to read those all of the time. They were good though. Especially Bertrice Small, who's historical romance novels included a lot of historic information.
Anywho, the last book I read was Robinson Crusoe. I was surprised at how much I liked it, quite good. My brother has taken a lot of literary classes and had kept a lot of the books he read, so, I have recently been raiding his stash.
Other than that, I don't really have time to read anything but my texts for class. Since I'm going into nursing, this includes a lot of psychology books right now. It's pretty interesting, though. I'd love to take a class in literature to read more classics (and get credit for it ) but my nursing program doesn't allow me to .
"Necroscope"...hm, that sounds good *writing that one down along with a list of others*. I also wanted to read "Dracula" and I downloaded it from some site a while ago but I never got to it. Plus, don't you just hate reading a long story on the computer? Either you print it out and it would take up a whole lot of ink and paper, or you sit in front of the computer to read it and your neck becomes paralyzed in that position for the next few weeks :P.
Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" is also on my list. A friend of mine is supposed to lend it to me once she's done with it for a class she's taking. Grr, she didn't even read it. Since they were going to discuss it in class, she watched the movie because it took less time. I would love to see her grade, hehe.
IamGoddess is offline                         Send a private message to IamGoddess
Old 21-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #32
Kearnsy
Games Master

Read Dracula!!!
Also the last albatros by Ian Irvine.
Good stuff.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 21-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #33
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

After being confronted with yet another Robert Jordan book that succeeds in not bringing the conclusion of Wheel of Time any nearer, I've decided to leave fantasy for what it is for a while and focus on other genres :tai: (Tai, I love your smilie!)

Last read: "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. This I'd recommend to anyone. It's a great read, funny and believable and I'm still doubting wether or not the story is true k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 21-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #34
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Apr 21 2005, 03:45 PM
yet another Robert Jordan book that succeeds in not bringing the conclusion of Wheel of Time any nearer
The prequel one about Moiraine meeting Lan? That was really naff. Made me just want to go GET ON WITH IT!! The last one in the main series was nearly as bad.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 21-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #35
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Apr 21 2005, 01:44 PM
So you did like at least one Danish novel. Btw, I think the movie won an oscar, when it came out. Did you watch that?

Another suggestion for your class would be Frydenholm, by Hans Scherfig. It's set in Denmark during the occupation. It's not as famous as some of his other books, but it is definitely good. One of his best, if not the best.
I saw the movie, but I haven't heard about that Oscar!! Interesting!

I'll check that Scherfig book out! The only one I've read by him is Det Forsömte For?r. I didn't really like it when reading it, but afterwards it is actually good!!
I have an exam on it next Thursday
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 21-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #36
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't have time to read books, that's why I listen them. LOL

Almost done with Swords of the Truth - Stone of the Tears by Terry Goodkind. I've already read the book, but it's still very interesting and entertaining.

24 tapes :blink: are great to listen while driving to school or to work.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 21-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #37
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Apr 21 2005, 03:45 PM
After being confronted with yet another Robert Jordan book that succeeds in not bringing the conclusion of Wheel of Time any nearer, I've decided to leave fantasy for what it is for a while and focus on other genres :tai: (Tai, I love your smilie!)
I totally agree! I love Robert Jordan, but I think he's taking the bounds of consumerism a bit too far! He should just FINISH the series already, instead of trying to stretch it out as long as possible without ending it!!! :tai:

I love it too, thanks

As for Tolkien... I'm sure this is going to be a rather unpopular opinion, but I'll throw it out anyway...

I think one of the only reasons Tolkien is revered is because he was the first real fantasy author, imho. He's primarily an historian and a linguist, and it really shows in his writing. It's so dry, and well, in many cases, boring. Many of the characters are flat, they don't really develop as characters at all, and are seen from the perspective of a person who studies history... in the sense that all you really see is their actions as one piece of a whole, which is cool and all, but they're still really boring. In the case of some characters, he shows growth, but in comparison to what could have been possible, I just find myself somewhat unimpressed.

To his credit, the depth of the world he created is what really makes him stand out as an author. But really, I just don't feel he's "all that." LOTR was awesome, but... I've just read a whole lot better.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 21-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #38
UnHoly
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Apr 21 2005, 07:54 PM
I don't have time to read books, that's why I listen them. LOL

Almost done with Swords of the Truth - Stone of the Tears by Terry Goodkind. I've already read the book, but it's still very interesting and entertaining.

24 tapes :blink: are great to listen while driving to school or to work.
For me books on tapes are very stupid idea. It takes much more time to read (listen to it), it's harder for me to imagine when someone is reading tahn i read by myself, and i get bored with that listening thing very fast. Not for me!
UnHoly is offline                         Send a private message to UnHoly
Old 21-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #39
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Plus you don't get to imagine characters' voices yourself - witness Tony Robinson reading the Discworld books.

I agree with Tai on Tolkien too - very overrated as a writer, but interesting as an historian and a linguist, and as the father of modern fantasy writing.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 21-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #40
Spookyfish
Game freak

I'll have to jump in on Tai's little train of opinions. Tolkien IS overrated. If there's one thing he did well, it was setting, but his setting becomes too much with too many words... And whenever a character is introduced, we get to hear of the rest of their family as well. As for his fight-scenes; .

But, no Tolkien, no fantasy, and I have to admit that his imagination and love for his world was great. He wanted to make a mythology for Britian, and it really shows in the first 100 pages of Silmarillion. Jeez. So many names :blink:.
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish