Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Uhm. It would be a good chance to make something useful for the site. I apply for it. I hope I can be taken seriously.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 27-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I also apply.

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 27-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I completely agree with Kosta's decision to have this public apeal to the members. If anybody would be asked to become an updater - that would be almost pressuring people into doing the job. It's better if they volenteer.
So far The Void is the one who deffinetly seems like an apropriate candidate - but more then one could join the team (curently consisting of Reup and myself - with occasional help from Tom and Kosta).
I think all who sent in the offer to help have at least shown the willingness to accept the responsibility and makes them potential candidates. I guess the perfect situation would be, to have 7 updaters and each could do an update on a given day of the week... A big team (if it co-operates well) is the best way. So ALL are welcome - if you're really serious about it.

Now just to quickly explain once again what an updater has to do:
Check if the game is abandonware!
In some cases just some simple copy-paste. That's if a review is well written with all the aditional information (publisher, producer, year of publishing...), otherwise search for the missing information (usually you find the information on mobygames - if not, search some more).
Often reviewers need to check for compatibility - so you'd have to have a WinXP system with both VDMSound and DOSBox (the games were created for DOS - so they should basically all have to be DOS compatible).
Then you need to move the game to the right place on the server (double-check the archive and the archive name before doing that) and fill out a form that needs all the information you had to gather.
You sometimes need to resize a picture and make a small picture for the news section. So some picture editing programe comes really handy.
Then you need some creativity (this is the hardest part for me) to introduce the game in the news section - sometimes I've no idea what to say.
And that's mostly it. You need to make a new post on the forum and notify the mailing list.

OK - that's about it - if everything is pre-prepared an update takes no more then 15 minutes. But sometimes things get complicated and things get wrong. Actually the most importaint thing is the part when you check for compatibility - you can see if the game has some bugs or a special (not mentioned in the review) way of getting started - then you need to edit the review slightly. Also some reviews need to be ironed out (I know - the grammer squad is doing an excelent job when it comes down to this), but some people are not even using the spell checker while writing reviews...

Hope that clerifys a bit what's an updater's job - and will help you decide if you wanna do it or not k:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 27-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
Dino
Call me Edmund

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Sep 27 2005, 07:17 PM
So far The Void is the one who deffinetly seems like an apropriate candidate - but more then one could join the team (curently consisting of Reup and myself - with occasional help from Tom and Kosta).
Oooops, I forgot to announce that I applied for position yesterday as well. So I won't find myself insulted.

I would be very much interested to do that job, wouldn't have any problems with doing tasks mentioned in your post.
Old 27-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
Data
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Sep 27 2005, 07:17 PM

So far The Void is the one who deffinetly seems like an apropriate candidate
Didn't know Kosta had an alter ego.
Old 27-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #16
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Didn't know Kosta had an alter ego.
I just wanted to say, that he meets all the criteria (at least in my opinion). I'm not trying to speak for Kosta. Sorry if my post was misunderstood.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 27-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

So how old do you have to be to be taken seriously?
That little "requirement" is a bit insulting actually. k:

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 27-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #18
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Sep 27 2005, 09:30 PM
Well you may find it insoulting, but it makes a lot of sence (at least to me). Older people are more likely to be serious and responsible enough for the job.
Old 27-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #19
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Does the "we know you well enough" thing counter that?
Because although some of us might be young, there's probably many of us you can trust to be reliable.
I mean Danny is around here isn't he?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 27-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #20
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Sep 27 2005, 10:30 PM
So how old do you have to be to be taken seriously?
the requirement consists of two parts, and you seem to be ignoring one: he has to be old enough to be taken seriously. this isn't really about age, but in nature the older a human being is the more sreious it will be (on the average), that said, I've seen people in their mid 20s who are total bums, and in their mid teens (10-19) who were sucssesefuly leading a student self govering council. Now a person who sees an insult in everything he reads deosn't strike one as mature, does he?

P.S. Just so you guys would know, I'll write an aplication to this too.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s