Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

I think I'm too young to appreciate this game.

k: for history and nostalgia
:not_ok: for it being boring and repetitive
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 17-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

How the hell can you claim it to be boring? It's grrreeeeeat.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 17-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #13
xoopx
Hero Gamer

come on guys, lets do our research!

the game was in the arcades in 1978

this p.c version cant possibly from 1978 because THE P.C DIDNT EXIST UNTIL 1981.

xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 17-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Strobe@Jul 17 2005, 05:02 PM
whooops - so actually we've got a game from 1977? shame upon me* :angel:
*goes and edit the news*

c'mon, eagle, the rating is not only to court great grafix and sound in games,
but also - in this case - to give consideration to a special status. and SI definitely
has a special status!
Sorry to correct you one more time Strobe, but I belive Tetris is the smalest game archive we have (only 14kb - not the huge 40kb of Space invaders).

About the age of this game:
Well I can't see any date within the game, but I remember some other sites claiming this game to be made in 1978 (if that's the arcade version or this one - I don't know)...

BTW: how do I move? I can only shoot (shift), but can't move neither left nor right.

And about the quality of the game... Personally I still extremely enjoy Methamorphoses II: Creator's Revenge - a C64 clone of Space invaders (you can only move left and right - and you can shoot (well if you allow a nuke to fall on a city you have to shoot the mutants and then you can move in all directions).
Simply said - I love this game!!!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #15
moogle
Abandonia Homie

LOL, whats with this "2" rating thing, no body cares if its borring and repetitive, its "the game" you automatically give it five...because its just..."the game" just like pong, and tetris.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 18-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #16
paulypoos
Abandonia nerd

Ahhhhhh...Space Invaders. Im sure though, like many others, the ORIGINAL Space Invaders wasnt the first taste I had of this game. No not at all, I came across it in a rather more pitiful version on the old ATARI 2600 which had even bigger chunkier graphics. It wasnt until I started getting some retro compilations for the PS1/PS2 that I did play the ORIGINAL Space Invaders and its successors and boy was that an eye opener, MUCH better then the old WOODY console version. Anyone who has also compared the WOODY version of PACMAN with the arcade game will concur, there are so many different versions out there of these classic games.

I am sorry to see that some folk on here have been knocking the game, whilst Im all for constructive criticism I feel all you youngsters doing so are missing the point. This site is all about CELEBRATING the old games we know and love and you HAVE to play them in their historical context, we all know that compared to their modern day counterparts they look and play very basic but hey...before games like this we had NOTHING in the way of computer gaming, we compared them to TIDDLYWINKS, SNAKES AND LADDERS and NOT PS2s (cue annoyed responses from TIDDLYWINK fanatics).

For some Im sure it will be such a blessed relief just to be able to jump straight into a game and play, learning it in seconds....Ive still got a huge pile of PS2 games to play cos I aint got the time to read the instructions, watch all the intro movies etc etc etc...oh the blessed relief of just loading and playing STRAIGHT AWAY.

Oh those sounds and sideways moving little beggers bring back SOOOO many memories..... k:
paulypoos is offline                         Send a private message to paulypoos
Old 18-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by paulypoos@Jul 18 2005, 08:20 AM
This site is all about CELEBRATING the old games we know and love...
Well said! k:
Unfortunately most people confuse it with a site where they can get games for free :angry:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #18
Sanguinor

I see this wondeful gold mine of old games as my home away from home, though, I'm only 18 I remember a good deal of these games from playing them on various Atari's, arcade machines and (God curse my evil hands) Amiga's...

Space Invaders is deffinately the Great-Gran-Daddy of the modern computer game, come on, without this who'd of thought of what young 'uns see as the classic games of today, where would it all have started?

You can't give this game such a low rating as '2' just because it's repitive with poor graphics, and lets face it crumby sounds, but thats all in comparrison with todays standards. Take yourself back to when it first came out, that was to the old and bald ones what Half Life 2, MOHPA (Excuse me if I'm behind on the times, I work for a living, not go to college or play games whilst sponging of my parents)

I could rant and rave at you children all day and night for the better part of the next millenia but I doubt you'd ever get the picture due to tunnel vision and having your expectations of games set by todays high standards. So quit your whinging, give it a five then go and talk to your grandads about what they used to play when they were kids, and for once listen to his waffeling, just use an umbrella

And I agree, we young 'uns of today are about of worthy of judging such classics as Space Invaders and Pong, as our elders were of judging H.G Wells Time Machine way back when.

Jimbob

Old 19-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Oh well, I guess I'm the only one to realise how boring this game is... Even when I was playing it on my Atari (or was it Coleco Vision?) when I was 5-6 I never played this game for long.

By your way of thinking, I guess we should create a new rating of 6. Any "classic" should get it automatically... But then I guess half of the games on this site would get that "special" rating automatically. Go figure...

It's not the first time I argue about what I personnaly think are "stupid" ratings. Ascendancy is a perfect example.
Old 19-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #20
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jul 19 2005, 07:22 PM
Oh well, I guess I'm the only one to realise how boring this game is... Even when I was playing it on my Atari (or was it Coleco Vision?) when I was 5-6 I never played this game for long.

By your way of thinking, I guess we should create a new rating of 6. Any "classic" should get it automatically... But then I guess half of the games on this site would get that "special" rating automatically. Go figure...

It's not the first time I argue about what I personnaly think are "stupid" ratings. Ascendancy is a perfect example.
im one of the oldest at abandonia, and i remember the magic of seeing the space invaders cabinets in a darkened arcade as a little kid.

i still think its a crap game.

its just a very important and cool bit of history as well.

so yeah "6" for historical respect and leetness

about a "2" with regards to what i think of it as something to play.

if the ratings are meant to be a guide for wether a user should bother using up bandwidth to download it, 2 is probably the one i should put.

(just remember some great games have a low rating, so dont take other people's opinion too seriously)
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx