Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #101
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 2 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]289044[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You can buy Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete for 10 Euros
[/b]
That's a good price, well worth it.
Old 24-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #102
velik_m
Game Wizzard

I just notice the boxscans here are for HOMM2 not HOMM1.
Old 24-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #103
Sathanas

Love this game, had lots of fun with it years ago :3
Sathanas is offline                         Send a private message to Sathanas
Old 27-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #104
arlesya
world wanderer

I absolutely love the HMM series. It reminds me of my eraly teens. I'd go to a friends place to play the HMM2 he had bought. We would spend hours playing the hot seat multiplayer games. I was terrible at it... One day he lended me the game when he went in vacations. I played it so much that, when he was back, I actually won most of the times we played together. He was really angry to have lended it to me I think he didn't like losing to a girl.

I bought the HMM3 complete years later in New York for a very cheap price. I guess it was less than 10 euros. By far, it's still my favorite of the series.

Btw, I liked a lot to play this HMM as for the classic it is. But I missed the necromancer and wizard a lot...
Old 27-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #105
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Homm2 has more balanced troops, but i like the spell system of homm1 more. In homm2 all you cast is lightning.
Old 27-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #106
arlesya
world wanderer

ah, not really. there are many other fighting spells

but the metod of "expert earth magic" etc. from the hmm3 is the coolest to me
Old 06-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #107

Well, I first got this from a friend of a friend, who in fact got it for my kid sister, when it first came out, and then we burned a copy and had this. What I loved the most about this were the funny ways that everything looked. Purple dragons used to make me laugh every time I saw them. There was something majestic about it all. The fact that your knowledge determined how many spells you had, and you had to keep going from castle to castle to get spells was really fantastic.

Okay, admittedly when I played it I sucked at heroes. But it was the perfect game for the beginner. I could play The Claw (the easiest map), turn off all other heroes, except for one who I made Dunce, and the difficulty was 5%. I could then restart until I got a Warlock, which was by far the best creature, and bingo I've made it ultra easy.

I want this game again so that I can go back through and NOT play the Warlock.

HOMM 2 was much harder, but also more balanced, as Sorceress became more powerful, and Wizard and Necromancer also became closer to equal with the Warlock (of course, having 3 types of Dragons still gave Warlock an advantage). There still existed the problem with the 2 "might" sides, that got no magic. HOMM 2 I can remember the lowest difficulty rating was 30%, and that was much harder than the 5% I was used to. But it taught you to be good.

When HOMM 3 came out I actually didn't get it for ages, as I thought that surely they couldn't improve on HOMM 2. But HOMM 3 was by far the best game. The balance was exact, as all creature types were exactly equal, yet still there was strategy. Nobody could suggest that any type was better than the other. Okay so Necromancer was better if you took the time to fight everything and make 3 million skeletons. And Knight was better because of Archangels. But then there were factors - like Archangels had less hitpoints than some other mobs, and hence spells could seriously hurt them. Black Dragons were still immune to magic, hence you could cast Armageddon with them. But Archangels I liked to use with Regeneration. Also, the addition of "mass" spells as "Expert" spells was awesome. In HOMM 2 mass spells existed as separate spells. Good but not great.

But what was even more awesome about HOMM 3 was the expansion packs. I bought HOMM 3 Complete, the best ever possible rendition of Heroes, of any series. On top of that, you can get Wake of the Gods, but after a while I uninstalled that as most of it doesn't work properly.

Then came HOMM 4.

After the first 3 were so incredibly awesome, I bought HOMM 4 with so much anticipation. Heroes that fought! Wow! Amazing.

And it was a total waste of time. It was a disaster. I soon found myself going back to HOMM 3, and then getting nostalgic for HOMM 2 or even HOMM 1.

And when HOMM 5 came out, well, sadly it was too good for my computer, and while I bought it brand new I haven't played it yet as I need a new computer, or massive upgrades. So I can't say.

So now I want to go back to HOMM 1. Back to the first of the 3 awesome games.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #108
droma
Forum hobbit

I remember waaay back when I got HOMM 1. I had a demo for it in some game magazine that let you play for a month? or so. (game time, not rl months). I cant begin to imagine the amount of time my friends and I played it hot seat. Then came HOMM 2. Holy crap. Compared to the first one it was the greatest game of the century (not that the first HOMM wasnt awesome). The monster models were awesome, upgradeable monsters!??!! Cool! Opera singing when you go to the towns! I still can remember the sorceress operatic song/music, beautiful. For every hour I played as any of the other castles I played 3 hours of Knight and 5 hours of Sorceress. Then came HOMM 3. While the monster models were better graphically I still prefered the more hand-drawn look of HOMM 2. HOMM 3 with its expansions supplied so many hours of hot seat goodness they should have charged 200 bucks a copy. Then came HOMM 4. Now I'll be the first to say its definately the worst in the series but its not too bad. Its still playable...kinda. As far as HOMM 5 goes...eh. It was a real let-down. The city views are cool, but the city views from 2 are still better...that opera music really trumps it all . The 3d adventure maps take alot of time getting used to and I think I never really got used to it completely. Combat is pretty good, but, well, theres just something about HOMM 5 that makes me rather not play it. Yes.
droma is offline                         Send a private message to droma
Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #109
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I played 4 and 5 part of HOMM!
4 is my favorite, and I dislike 5 because it's not Heroes(it's bloody Etherlords 3 :angry: )!

I downloaded this recently and I can't stop playing it!
Is't soooooo good!

k:

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #110
tlalynet
Lurker

I want to say it, HMM5 has BAD graphics. Sophisticated? Yes. Viewable? Mostly no.

The underground is a nightmare especailly, but theres just something about the hivity pivoty wonkity wronkity of it that takes the focus off the feild in most options. HMM is about tactical combat, its like Chess, you need the full feild veiw of the feild availible to you at all times.
Admitedly they are esthetically beautifull and they undoubtedly did a lot of hard work on them, but between the underworld shadeing and the rotation it becomes cumbersome, I prefer to look at HMM2 or 3. If they fixed the camera and layed things out well and brighened a few things up and got the damned stalacties out of the way it would be great....

Mechanically the new company did an excelent job, I would say 5 is worthy of 2 and 3 in that respect just by going through all the new statiscics and formulas, its a little more complex and proabalby needs a few tweaks but thats not a bad thing. If i could stomach the graphics I would progbably play 5, but as it sits Ill stick with 3 as my main game and 2 as a very fun alternete. 1 is a great game, i have it in the milenum collection, but I dont play it much as its resource system is a bit cumbersome and two and three are just beter.

4 is that cousin no one wants to talk about, its not for no reason the studio died after releasing that...

And yes, Opera trumps all
tlalynet is offline                         Send a private message to tlalynet