Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #41
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by MahwahDenizen@Mar 24 2005, 03:40 AM
I have a question about dueling.* I have a * class sword and * class armor.* But I still cannot seem to get the hang of dueling.* Does anyone have a good strategy for dueling?
First of all, it depends on your character. Some are good at swordplay, others will take quite some time to improve. Not much to be done about that, except to "train" against weaker captains, like those of trade convoys, etc.

Secondly, some weapons have a preferred way of attacking (for example: Shiva's sword deals a lot more damage used in 1 particular way, though I don't know which one from the top of my head).

My usual way of attacking (of course this should be changed when using a weapon that's no good for striking!):
1) strike
2) parry (in most cases this will block your opponent's attack)
3) strike
4) Usually I'll dodge here. I've got the impression their striking always deals most damage, so it's not that bad risking a different attack getting through, rather than taking your chances at receiving a strike
5) Sometimes a third strike will work, but this seems to be mostly when your opponent wounded you in step 4. If he didn't, I'd opt for a different attack, as I've noticed they'll usually dodge in this step. Maybe a built-in rule to expect a third identical attack after you've attacked twice in a row using the same attacking method?

Then I'd start the same cycle all over again.
There's a New Horizons FAQ at several websites, where you'll find a list of some of the special weapons' preferred attacking modus. If you don't find it immediately, I'll see if I've still got it somewhere.

Oh, and if you try this method, please let me know if it works for you or not
Old 24-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #42
mahwahdenizen

Great, thanks for the advice. I will be sure to try it out tonight.

As far as the FAQ is concerned, here is one link. This same FAQ can be found at a lot of places in different versions but this version seems fine:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/...horizons_a.txt

This faq does not give too much advice for dueling or ship to ship combat though.
mahwahdenizen is offline                         Send a private message to mahwahdenizen
Old 24-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #43
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

That's indeed the FAQ I meant. The direct link to it won't work, but just search for "new horizons", then choose the PC-version and click the link to the largest FAQ (304 KB).

For ship-to-ship combat: my advice would be to focus as much as possible on the opposing commander's ship (indicated by number 0). Once you sink it, the whole battle is over.
If you feel sure of yourself, use a fleet of 9 ships instead of 10. If you win, you get to fill up empty spaces in your fleet with captured enemy ships, provided you have enough mates for yet another one.
Either stack your ships with crew, so that you outnumber the enemy crew, or try to focus on attacking with cannon shots.
In order to start a duel with the enemy commander, your ship's crew has to outnumber his!
Also, before a battle, assign more crew to combat. I usually pick some 60% for this. After combat, reassign more crew members to navigation, to make sure you can get away even after suffering heavy losses. Also remember to transfer crew if some of your ships have nearly no crew left, otherwise you'll be stuck.
Old 25-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #44
lethe
Game freak

Any idea what to do when there's a haunting storm and no church in the port I am?
I hate these old *random* systems really aren't that random...

Been busting my behind the last 2 days to make a few million from scratch so I could sail away to India, and right on first big travel I'm stuck in Bissau, since the storm is always there, no matter if wait 1 day or 1 month. And it seems like my venetian galeasses aren't that resistant when it comes to storms...
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 26-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #45
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

You need to stock some balm (which can be bought in the item shops of a few ports, for example in Marseille). I usually buy 12-15 balms whenever I have the chance. When you get a storm warning, use the balm to calm it.
It's important to keep one of those ports as an ally so you can go buy some balm whenever you need.
Also, buy yourself a cat and you'll never have trouble with rats anymore.

To free yourself from your current situation, you could try sailing back to Europe (Marseille -> balm, though there are a few other ports selling it as well). In order to do so, sail from Bissau after repairing all your ships; when you get a storm warning, go ashore. "Hop" like this until you reach the next port, repair your ships, etc.

Also, it's always a good idea to keep a few older saved games. If something goes horribly wrong, you can always return from a previous point.
Good luck!
Old 26-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #46
lethe
Game freak

Yeah... After reading the faq I noticed that balms would be much needed in these occasions... Unfortunately, the storm warning doesn't give me any time, and it's right the first thing that happens when I leave Bissau.
I started all over again :w00t:
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 14-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #47
XCOM_Squaddie

Uncharted Waters 2 is a great game. But after seeing these screen shots for the PC version, I'd have to say the one for SNES is a lot nicer to look at. But either way, it's awesome! k:
XCOM_Squaddie is offline                         Send a private message to XCOM_Squaddie
Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #48
ole
Thumbs up

i try edit money by hex editor. but i can't find where ? please help.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #49
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by My-Q@Mar 9 2005, 09:32 AM
Hey, i've got the byte to edit.. it's right next to Joao Franco (or whatever you name him), about 8 blocks between his name and a string of '64' (or 100 in decimal).

Try editing the first 4 bytes after the string of '64' to FF FF FF FF, and you'll end up with 16,777,215 gold which you can use to buy whatever you want
See the quoted post above: to be sure of which blocks to edit, write down how much money you have at the moment you save.
Convert that to hexadecimal (the standard calculator in windows can do this: type the figure, then click "HEX"). Then you'll know which sequence to look for in your hexeditor, at the spot the other forum member indicated.

Hope it works...
Old 30-05-2005, 03:38 AM   #50
RPGSwallow

The hex address for money i think 6A1 if i'm not wrong. Forgot the last time i edit it, if not 6A1 then maybe 6A4. That's the address i remember for about 6 years, 'cos i like this game very much :P. Btw, anyone have the uncharted water 3 and 4? I'm dying to play it but haven't got any luck finding it. If anyone have uncharted water 3 or 4 malaysian version plz tell me