Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #41
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think it's an exercise in futility to try and pin this stuff down; it's something so entirely subjective that you can't compare one person's love to another's. On the other hand, I'm no expert on the matter (if anyone is), so feel free to disregard anything I say (come to think of it, that applies most of the time...)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 19-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #42
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by taikara@Mar 20 2005, 12:37 AM
@Sebatianos: I agree, but I tend to think that "unconditional" love is more like the love that allows you to forgive people even when they hurt you, rather than being a "Romeo and Juliet" moving mountains sort of love.
Interesting point, but I don't think forgiveness is connected with love. You may forgive anyone - without loving them. It's a quality you have, not a quality that someone else can trigger in you. It's often even more difficoult to forgive someone whom you love. You can ignore a mistake or get over it, but it's difficoult to really forgive and not feel resentful.
When you forgive a stranger, you had no image of that person being almost angelicly perfect. When you need to forgive the one you love, you are able to forgive what has happened, but can never rebuild the exact picture of that person being perfect. So you start resenting the fact, that that pesron has destroyed your inllusion. I guess when in love people have too high expectations (from the other person, and from themselves). So without respect (as others have mentioned) love isn't worth that much. If you also respect that person, you might be able to clear away all misunderstandings when that affectenate strong first love fades away.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 20-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #43
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Uhh... I don't know about you, Seb, but I don't really see anyone as "angelically perfect." Not even someone I view in a romantic fashion. :blink:

That would just be absolutely and totally unfair to anyone.

Actually, I tend to appreciate the combination of a person's flaws and strengths together much more than I would appreciate anyone who seemed perfect. Someone who seemed perfect would just scare me. I would tend to wonder what they were hiding

But, to clarify, since I think you misunderstood me, I don't see unconditional love as a romantic thing. I see romantic love as a romantic thing.

Unconditional love is what I try my best to offer anyone, be it my boyfriend, my best friend, or the guy down the street I don't know. It's harder for me to do that when I don't know the person than when I do, actually. Keep in mind, I see love as an action, not a state of being. Forgiveness is an action of love for me, even towards someone I don't know.

Basically, if someone is willing to give me the benefit of the doubt by trying to communicate with me regarding an offense or misunderstanding, stranger, friend, or lover, I do the same for them. I forgive them.

And even if they don't try, I tend to forget about it anyway, and just do my best to empathize without understanding their point of view.

I don't see anyone as perfect, but I sure do prefer to see the best in people...
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 20-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #44
Schabernakel-anbeter

@ taikara

hmm he understands...

she might be predjudiced about insects LOL

he tried to speek to her but she didnt speek insect language

and

love is a flowing band of energy which is in everything...try to imagine

however i think it cant be explained with words really

like an orgasm, feels good but how would you discribe it.... D

Edit: Just want to say yet: A good way to forgive people is, to imagine them as
little children, that they still are, just doing grown up stuff.
Actually they dont know really what they are doing k:

Bye :bye: Bye
Schabernakel-anbeter is offline                         Send a private message to Schabernakel-anbeter
Old 20-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #45
The Levitating Nun
Game Wizzard

Sadly I had to write an essay on this subject for English but in the context of Romeo and Juliet, can't stand it myself but perhaps I'm not mature and romantic (I'm only 16 gimme a break) enough to understand the things they went through.

There's about 4 which I covered

Platonic love: love for friends, the whole "he's my mate and I want the best for him" type of love.
Parental love: pretty much speaks for itself but thats the "I won't let anything happen to my son/daughter/mother/father" kind of love
Romeo and Juliet love: I can't remember what I called it now but that's the "let me compare you to a summer's day" kind of love.
Patriotism: Love for your country, most found during wartime the "dolce et decorum est pro patria mori (It is a sweet and good thing to die for your country)" kind of love.

There might have been more but I can't remember, I agree about the modern view of love, stupid music videos and MTV they'll be the downfall of civilisation.
The Levitating Nun is offline                         Send a private message to The Levitating Nun
Old 20-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #46
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Interesting thread.
I'll try to describe my opinion....

There is no "one love", and there is no-one that is the "only one". I've been in love with two men. I've had strong (really strong) feelings towards others, but didn't feel this love.

Love is when you don't give a damn about the person's flaws, you want ALL the best for the person, and you want to be with her/him all the time. If you've had a crappy day, you should want to meet this person, and just seeing her/him makes it all better, even just hearing the voice. When you would do anything in the world, just making that person feel better. If she/he feels bad, you feel bad. You would fight any army, alone, just to make her/him happy. Being away from that person is aweful.

Lust, on the other hand, is just the desire for the body / sex. You actually can be in a relationship without sex. Believe it or not :eeeeeh:
If you're in love, it doesn't matter. Sex is just a good addition, one could say.
But sadly, I've seen many couples "hanging on", just because of the sex. Maybe they have NOTHING in common anymore, besides the lust and being horny. I find it really sad when it happens...
That's just lust. Or habit.

I hope I make sense...
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 21-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #47
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Well, ain't that funny? Just yesterday I would've told you how love is THE most precious thing in life, how it lifts your spirit higher, how it makes you see the world with different eyes and how it makes you a better overall-person.

Instead today I just can say: F*ck it.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 21-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #48
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I'll just be quick and deep, as usual

Love is something that no-one really knows what is, yet everyone is constantly seeking. Then at the time you are ready to give up, you notice that it has been with you all the time.

Strange thing, love.

*Takes a bow, and leaves the scene*
Old 21-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #49
Danny252
I have a custom title!

you put that message in this thread? I see why Im no longer spamking here..
anyway, you guys are grreeeat at this! *reads*
-edit: oh, guess the previous post was deleted-
Old 21-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #50
Reaper

Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.
Reaper is offline                         Send a private message to Reaper
Closed Thread