Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Vikings doesn't need to be installed with my Win3 package - it works right out of the box, so to say.
Ahem, ..... Original game is a CD game.
Only CD rips that you download doesn't need to be installed.

If he has the original vers (CD) he needs to install it in W3.
Just saying.

[Edit]
Tried and: Downloaded version works indeed fine without install in Fifth's W3.
Just to check and to confirm.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 16-03-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: ppfffrtrttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 16-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

His previous post (and the lack of questions about mounting CD drives) indicates he is using a rip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviking View Post
Dosbox D:\Dosbox
(..)Vikings is located in D:\Dosbox\Vikings

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
Viviking

Alright here is a screenshot of what I see.

http://postimage.org/image/cwdakxjod/

As you see there is no other thing then the program manager and the only way to access the maps is by going to file -> run -> browse.

I have indeed a downloaded version of Vikings, I know there are some problems with them, because you manually need to add some missing files, otherwise the game will crash in certain occassions.

The game will start on vista, but the only problem is alt+tab to see a new screen. Which is really annoying so getting this game to run on dosbox+w3.11 will be neat.
Viviking is offline                         Send a private message to Viviking
Old 16-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
As you see there is no other thing then the program manager and the only way to access the maps is by going to file -> run -> browse.

The archive is supposed to be in the directory you mount as your DOSBox C drive.
Running it from a DOSBox drive letter other than C or from a subdirectory of your C mount will just mess it up (and should have produced several error messages in the process).
Unpack the windows directory again from scratch (confirm overwrite when prompted) and make sure you get your mounts right:

mount c d:\dosbox
c:\
windows

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 17-03-2013 at 12:02 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
Viviking

Ok I downloaded the package again, unpacked it, overwrite all the files and now when I start up windows I see this

http://postimage.org/image/hluv9w4tn/

I do see some maps, but the games map is just the default windows map. When I go to main I can select the files and double click it as you said, but Vikings will simply not start up...

I tried to start Theme Hospital, the demo, and all it does is open a new window and it appears as if it is loading, a few seconds later it jumps out and closes the window again.

I do not know if the vikings is a corrupted file, preventing it from starting or there is some other problem?
Old 17-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
but the games map is just the default windows map.
That's normal. Windows doesn't autodetect games present on the same drive (and there's no reason to expect it to).

Step by step, this is what you are supposed to do:

1. Double-click Main

2. Double-click File Manager

3. Double-click Vikings

4. Double-click vk.exe

At that point, you should get the loading screen: http://imgur.com/rdFkpEM
And the game's main menu should appear shortly after that: http://imgur.com/bpRU7O9

If you get any error messages, take screenshots of those messages and post them here.

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 17-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 17-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Viviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
That's normal. Windows doesn't autodetect games present on the same drive (and there's no reason to expect it to).

Step by step, this is what you are supposed to do:
That is exactly what I do, except when I double click Vk.exe, nothing happens. No loading screen, no error messages, just nothing.....

http://s16.postimage.org/wy86kpdrp/notstarting.jpg

I only get the hourglass for a moment, then it disappears and nothing happened.

I tried to reinstall the game, no difference. I don't know if you can share your vikings folder with me, see if it works then..?
Old 17-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Viviking

Quote:
That is exactly what I do, except when I double click Vk.exe, nothing happens. No loading screen, no error messages, just nothing.....

http://s16.postimage.org/wy86kpdrp/notstarting.jpg

I only get the hourglass for a moment, then it disappears and nothing happened.

I tried to reinstall the game, no difference. I don't know if you can share your vikings folder with me, see if it works then..?
Wait!! I just had inspiration. I had a look at your folder...you had no wings.dll
If I want to start the game on vista it will give me an error message wings.dll is missing! So I added it to the folder, so it would start on vista...I removed the wings.dll from the folder and voila! it works in dosbox+w3!!
Old 17-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Ah, that explains things.
The WinG libraries are composed of several DLLs - if you want to try using them on your Vista system, we're hosting a copy of the original installer files here: http://www.abandonia.com/en/programs#WinG .
Note that they're 16-bit and so will not work on 64-bit Windows versions.

-- Reed Richards