Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #81
justkc

Very immersive game. The audio logs went a loooooong way to making the game world *real*. Worth trying to get going, just don't be sad when you can't mouse look like you expect these days.

I could never get it running well on DOSBOX, and had to much lag/chop/skip. I was using an older DOSBOX version, so I'm trying again. Because Shodan is the only villain I need to beat multiple times.
justkc is offline                         Send a private message to justkc
Old 13-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #82
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Goes through levels 1-7. Funny puzzle with Master switch of Recreation level and special lock on Reactor level gave me much entertainment. Hardcore!

Then I stuck in level 8 door. Oops. I tried everything. Everything! Where is this key? Or, maybe, reactor activation codes?! Nada.

Well, I gave up and goes to FAQ. Wow! So code must be obtained such way?! VERY hardcore!! I love this game!
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 19-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #83
dont have

i had two problems when playing this cd version, first the "jettison enable master control" wasnt there! instead of the switch there was just blank white wall. so i had to take my non cd version game and play over that point of the game and transfer the save game to this cd version game and voila i was past that place.

but then in the last level when i inserted the Isolinear Chipset into the place where it goes the way to the shodan room didnt open so i had to do the same thing as before so thankfully i was able to finish the game. but really what were these bugs?

and yeah the most awesome game ever! otherwise i wouldnt have bothered to make these workarounds

Old 20-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #84
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I finish CD-version (from my CD-ISO, not from Abandonia) just two days ago. There is bug with radar, but nothing else (and radar bug exist in both versions). It is definitely was something strange with your version.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #85
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsugeki View Post
You can coax System Shock into running at 800x600 or 1024x768. See this patch:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100041

If it's too slow in Dosbox, you can get System Shock running on Windows XP natively with VDMSound (see http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1500200). For those on CRTs, dgVESA (part of dgVoodoo at http://dege.freeweb.hu/) can be used for getting higher refresh rates than 60 or 70 Hz.

When you select the difficulty settings in the beginning, I recommend setting everything to the most difficult except the one setting that adds a time limit (set that one to the second most difficult). It doesn't make the game too difficult (and certainly not frustrating), but makes it a nice challenge (for example the enemies can't be defeated easily with just the lead pipe, the door wiring puzzles aren't cakewalks, and you can't just walk out of the medical suite - you need to figure out / find the code to the door's keypad).

The controls take a while getting used to, but unlike Doom, they're sort of WASD-based. The difficulty is getting used to turning and looking with the keyboard instead of the mouse. The mouse is used for manipulating a cursor. Mouse2 fires the weapon or throws away the currently picked up object (aim with the cursor) and doubleclick mouse1 picks up objects (also from your inventory). R stands up, F crouches and V crawls. Q leans left, W forward and E right. T looks up, G centers, and B looks down. A and D turn. Z and C strafe, and finally, S and X move forward and back.

Leaning is useful for sniping at the tougher enemies around corners to avoid getting shot up (towards the end they can kill you quite quickly).

IIRC caps lock enables autorun, which I recommend, as it also makes you turn faster. One of the buttons on the interface removes all the useless borders for fullscreen mode.

I recommend listening to all the logs and e-mails to really get into the story, which is the best part of the game. Besides, you'll need to if you want to figure out what to do instead of just wandering around the station.

Enjoy one of the best games ever (it's certainly not overrated > ).

PS. don't miss the laser rapier on the third level. It's the most useful weapon.

Im starting SS and this post seems very helpfull. Thanks!
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 18-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #86
skullkan6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Im starting SS and this post seems very helpfull. Thanks!
I really did find the controls annoying. I found myself constantly getting frustrated. The fact that the game won't let you make W moving forward instead makes it S I really,really hated.
skullkan6 is offline                         Send a private message to skullkan6
Old 18-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #87
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullkan6 View Post
The fact that the game won't let you make W moving forward instead makes it S I really,really hated.
Dosbox=>keymapper = oh joy !!!

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #88
Szegedin

When I drag cdshock.exe onto my dosbox shortcut I get system shock running fairly well with sound and music and digital voiceovers. But the audio quality doesn't seem as high as it should be, judging by some of the footage of SysShock's Cd version posted on youtube...

I was trying to tell the game to use different emulated hardware by running the sound setup utility inside its 'INITIAL.EXE' in the game's 'INST' directory, but it doesn't seem to detect any of the hardware I select, even when manually configuring the 'sound cards' to match the parameters listed in dosbox's .conf.

Is this something I should bother with or does the default audio sound as good as it gets....
Szegedin is offline                         Send a private message to Szegedin
Old 18-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #89
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szegedin View Post
I was trying to tell the game to use different emulated hardware by running the sound setup utility inside its 'INITIAL.EXE' in the game's 'INST' directory, but it doesn't seem to detect any of the hardware I select, even when manually configuring the 'sound cards' to match the parameters listed in dosbox's .conf.
Use manual setup. Set it to use Sound Blaster 16, Adress 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

In Dosbox.conf, find all instances of "22050" and replace them with "44100" to increase the mixing rate and slightly improve the sound quality.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #90
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Use manual setup. Set it to use Sound Blaster 16, Adress 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1.

In Dosbox.conf, find all instances of "22050" and replace them with "44100" to increase the mixing rate and slightly improve the sound quality.
Also using "real musical" card for music improve it quality too. I using Roland usually, but I am not sure, if it works in DOSBox out of the box...

Also I heard of cool mode, but not tried it myself:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...ck-m-look-mod/