Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #11
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Don't listen to Bastin very much, men. He's really friend of mine, but he often tells rubbish, because he only knows one thing. When he connected to Internet, his mission is - GO TO CHAT AND CHAT, CHAT, CHAT! So, because of sitting in chats, he is slowly becoming foolish every day he spoiled in this damn entetainment. I told him many times to stop, but he doesn't listen to me.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 18-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #12
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
So the best thing is to get stronger CPU (with everything else) and both W98 & W2000 and joggle betwen them to get max for each game?
Not really. The best thing is DOSBox, but you need a fairly good CPU to run it well (I always recommend 1000mhz min). However if you have Win98 your compatibility issues should be reduced to near 0 so that's the best platform to play with old games. You will, at most, need a little tweaking.

Here a link which will help you build your autoexec.bat and config.sys files so you can play DOS games. Those files are also loaded when Win98 boot, but are only used when playing games in the infamous "DOS box" (the DOS Windows you see when you start a DOS game under Windows 98, please do not confuse this with DOSBox, which is a program). I used that page myself when I was using Win98 and it is very helpfull and well done.

Windows 2000 is, as far as I know, a totaly piece of **** when it comes to compatibility. I don't know much about this OS tough, so others might want to backup (or destroy) my point.

DOSBox is best used in WinXP because that OS have no compatibility whatsoever with old DOS games. Thus also why you need a fairly good machine to make it run: those who use WinXP usually have a new or good machine to make it run well. You might want to use VDMSound too, but you might encounter speed problems. DOSBox can handle speed problems and have VDMSound built in too.
Old 24-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #13
jfritz3281

I have a very fast cpu 3.0 @ 800 and 1 Gb DDR ram @ 400X2=800ddr and Nvidia fx5600 256mb video.
How do I change the resolution from which seems bad from the old games to 1024x768 ? Is their some line like full resolution=1024x768 and if so , how do I use this ? Please help me to get the better video quality,so I may share it too.
j fritz

jfritz3281@yahoo.com

jfritz3281@comcast.net

Old 24-12-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
Data
retired

uhm dos -based games didn't have very high resolutions.

dosbox can scale the graphics to higher resolutions for you (and even enhance them in the process (at a high power cost)) To activate those tings take a moment to read the dosbox.conf that comes with it
Old 24-12-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
butthead

games such as High Seas Trader has the C:\ incon next to the compatiability categories. Does this mean it can run in MS-DOS if so how? thanks