Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
plutonick

Both my firefox and klipfolio are up to date..
This is driving me mad. What could I be doing wrong?

I enter 'http://www.abandonia.com/en/rss.xml' in my address bar in firefox
then i press go and choose subscribe to this feed using 'live bookmarks'
and then i click the 'subscribe now'

The related bookmark that is named 'abandonia -' is always empty.
plutonick is offline                         Send a private message to plutonick
Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

In Firefox I had tried to click on the feed link, I hadn't tried to create the live bookmark. Today I did and it's empty; I'll check tomorrow too. But the content you see at the same time that the subscribe button proves that the content is there and Firefox can read it. If the live bookmark isn't updated, it's Firefox's fault as far as I know.

Can you subscribe to other feeds from other websites, and are the live bookmarks updated all right? If so, which standard do they use? (RSS 1, 2, Atom...)

Just a guess but are inbound connections firewalled for Firefox?

BTW I can confirm again that it works in IE and Opera all the way.

PS: I think I had this same problem back when I used FF.

Last edited by Japo; 12-03-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 12-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
plutonick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
In Firefox I had tried to click on the feed link, I hadn't tried to create the live bookmark. Today I did and it's empty; I'll check tomorrow too. But the content you see at the same time that the subscribe button proves that the content is there and Firefox can read it. If the live bookmark isn't updated, it's Firefox's fault as far as I know.

Can you subscribe to other feeds from other websites, and are the live bookmarks updated all right? If so, which standard do they use? (RSS 1, 2, Atom...)

Just a guess but are inbound connections firewalled for Firefox?

BTW I can confirm again that it works in IE and Opera all the way.

PS: I think I had this same problem back when I used FF.
I am using live bookmarks for my other feeds, so i can confirm that I can subscribe to other feeds.
ANd yes, you are right. When I subscribe I see the content, but it isn't updating/i am not notified when new content is updated.

I am not sure I understand what the 'are inbound connections firewalled for Firefox?' means tho. How can I check this?
plutonick is offline                         Send a private message to plutonick
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonick View Post
When I subscribe I see the content, but it isn't updating/i am not notified when new content is updated.
Dunno, maybe AB's feeds don't adhere to standards well, or FF's support for the version of the standard AB uses isn't perfect, or robust enough... Dunno.

Quote:
I am not sure I understand what the 'are inbound connections firewalled for Firefox?' means tho. How can I check this?
I wouldn't bother if feeds from other sites work fine, it was a blind shot. Most browsers work with outbound connections only (requested by the browser from your local machine with a remote server), but I know for a fact that Firefox likes to "listen" for inbound connections (started by any remote "client" machine, your local machine acts as server), don't know why. I thought that maybe FF's live bookmarks were one of the things that need to do that.

For example if you're using the Windows Firewall, you'd go to "control panel > windows firewall", the "exceptions" tab, and unless Firefox was present in the list, and checked, its attempts to listen would be blocked. With admin rights you can add programs to the exclusions. If you were using another third party firewall, you'd probably know where to look.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #15
plutonick

perhaps these recommendations might help solve the problem?

http://www.feedvalidator.org/check.c...2Fen%2Frss.xml

Perhaps the fact that 'title' is always blank, makes it that no new entries appear on live bookmarks.
Old 13-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Japo
Autonomous human

Possibly. That's what I meant with robustness in this context, that is the ability to parse correctly even if there's some unexpected oddity.

I don't know if it's the cause, but yes I'd like the feeds to have titles too, for the sake of it. It could be corrected some day, but sorry it won't be today nor tomorrow. We're taking the necessary steps though.