Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-11-2008, 12:02 AM   #21
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulac View Post
Yeah, but those elections are important for the whole world, since every decision made in USA affects the whole world. Just look at the present economic crisis, it started in the USA as a result of their policy, and it affected the whole world.
[rant]

Which, to be honest, is a little stupid. I'll admit, I live in a country full of sheep (in more than one way), and so anything that happens in the US affects us directly - rap music (:notrust, economic slowdowns that only happened because people thought we were in an economic slowdown, whatever. I think it is silly that a country that was formed as we know it only 400 years ago can have so much more influence than countries that have existed for millenia. The only reason they have so much power is because they stabilized a strong economy very quickly. Seeing as economics have no bearing to real life, they are simply something invented by a group of people that wanted to capitalize off everyone else, I think my cynicism over not only the standing of America but the entire economic situation of the world is warranted.

[/rant]

I'm glad our new Prime Minister is getting stuck in to actually putting his election promises into action - and doing so despite criticism from supporters of the previously elected party. They would complain, because he's fixing all of their mistakes. :bleh:

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 16-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #22
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

50 million US Americans elect a president out of two candidates, and the world (6.7 billion people) has to live with him.
Old 16-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Oh well...

Every economical, political, religious system has always fallen apart sooner or later, only to be replaced by something else...I think this one now is just a step or two away from a complete colapse.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #24
dosraider
Dismembered.

Shame that when it's gonna collapse it will be on our heads, and I don't know if I will like the alternatives, China ruling the world or even worst .....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 17-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #25
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Deutschland, Deutschland etc. :trumpet:

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #26
Freyja
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
50 million US Americans elect a president out of two candidates, and the world (6.7 billion people) has to live with him.
Exactly.
The USA is a very powerful country, and the choice of president really affects the whole world. The previous elections also had attention worldwide - but this time I noticed how people agreed on who would be the best man.

I haven't looked into this much personally, but from what I've seen I think I agree with the majority of the voters this time I just hope he stands up to the expectations.
Freyja is offline                         Send a private message to Freyja
Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #27
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Perhaps the majority of the world that must concede to "living" with the president should research the role of the executive branch rather than idiotically assume that the president himself represents anything beyond another check and balance in the rappelling snake of US government - only then will you truly elevate yourselves above the ignorant state of many uneducated Americans.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #28
Freyja
Forum hobbit

But the fact that there are other influential individuals does not change the fact that the most influential of them all must be a fair and preferably a smart one. He's the face of the USA, it's image, and having a stupid president (or any powerful person, in any country, no matter of it's size or powers) is in general considered a very bad thing.

Don't you agree, piglet?

Freyja is NOT a terrorist
Freyja is offline                         Send a private message to Freyja
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #29
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
Perhaps the majority of the world that must concede to "living" with the president should research the role of the executive branch rather than idiotically assume that the president himself represents anything beyond another check and balance in the rappelling snake of US government - only then will you truly elevate yourselves above the ignorant state of many uneducated Americans.

true the power is not only in the hands of the president, however due to the nature of th eelection system in USA the party of the president is also all too often reflected in other branches of executive power.

Too often happens that when president is elected his party also has majority in congress and senate. as a result he is in the same position as PM in parliamentary systems. which is quite powerful. in fact it is th emost powerful position appart from referendum, which doesn't happen often on a national scale in USA. reason for that might be in federalist constitution.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
Obviously, how one views the presidency depends on which side of the US borders one lives. The US president has little effect within the US, as the president only enacts and enforces the laws, often indirectly throw appointments of judges and attorney-general, but has a lot of clout in foreign relations. The president could be described as having maius imperium in barbaricum. Although he needs congressional approval to actually declare war and enter treaties, there is much latitude about other actions. Bush could send elements of the USN along the east coast of Africa with orders to sink all suspected pirates purely through his authority as CinC. Congress has to approve trade deals, but the president sets the tone and pace of negotiations. The US president often looks for foreign relations to score points domestically, as that is what he is most effectively able to do. Of course foreigners care who is president, as (to us) he is the only US political office holder that matters.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell