Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #31
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerwilco View Post
and if this is so darn Booorning, why are you reading and responding???

Huh???????
Because you're so booooooring it's almost funny.

'Almost'....

And hit the "quote" button when you want to quote someone.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #32
SlowCoder
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Because you're so booooooring it's almost funny.

'Almost'....
So you're saying it's like watching Teletubbies, eh? (I know you know what I'm talking about, since you have grandkids ) The show's so under you, but as much as you try to avert your eyes, you find yourself mesmerized and watching the entire length of the show! I'm way too guilty of that.

And as to .COM files, I do remember .COM files. But I don't remember a batch file that could become a .COM file simply by executing it.
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 23-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #33
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if my grandkids watched teletubbies, i'd put them in orphanage
Old 23-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #34
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCoder View Post
And as to .COM files, I do remember .COM files. But I don't remember a batch file that could become a .COM file simply by executing it.
Where you read that?
Smoking mushrooms lately, ain't you?

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #35
SlowCoder
Game freak

Quote:
Where you read that?
Smoking mushrooms lately, ain't you?
I do like my mushrooms, but on my spaghetti, or between a hamburger bun with a big chunk of meat.

Check post #21, if you're interested, where he RogerWilco mentions exactly that.
SlowCoder is offline                         Send a private message to SlowCoder
Old 23-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #36
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerwilco View Post
you wrote it out as something like:

...if I recall....to convert it...lessee....it was, I *think* a consol command....remember those?

COPY CON THIS.TXT
This is a test <enter>

then CTRL-Z to put an EOF mark
<enter>

and you had yourself a text file

Anyway, when you ran the code it turned into a .COM file....
You meant this? Post 24 that is, post 21 is -or was- RW's postcount ... LMAO.
Yep, that's a case of weird writing I guess, though there exist conversion progs that compiles batch files into executables ones.
You still can find them around TeH InTrAhNeT.

And this whole topic is still booooooooring.
It looks more and more as a talky between some ol'men on a bench ... *do you remember, when we were young and beautiful, ....* ....LMAO.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 24-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #37
SlowCoder
Game freak

Quote:
And this whole topic is still booooooooring.
It looks more and more as a talky between some ol'men on a bench ... *do you remember, when we were young and beautiful, ....* ....LMAO.
Fair enough ... But methinks you are doing a little reminiscing yourself, as you are still participating in the thread. And that's great with me! Actually, for someone your age (if it's your real age) to be a member of this site, means:
1. You're probably a very cool grandparent, who likes to share is past game experiences with his grandchildren.
2. You're very likely being nostalgic about the games here. Someone else might think a conversation between you and another on a different forum about classic games, is boring.

The reason I am conversing with RW about all this is because we seem to share a few similar interests and experiences. For me, I was a kid when I started using DOS, and had an almost obsessive interest in computers, programming and games. This stuff brings back good memories for me.

As for being young and beautiful, I was (and still consider myself) young, but never considered myself beautiful. I would have fit in well with the characters from "Revenge of the Nerds", including the calculator I kept in my jacket pocket and the tight, above the ankle, pants.
Old 24-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #38
Rogerwilco
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Fair enough ... But methinks you are doing a little reminiscing yourself, as you are still participating in the thread. And that's great with me! Actually, for someone your age (if it's your real age) to be a member of this site, means:
1. You're probably a very cool grandparent, who likes to share is past game experiences with his grandchildren.
2. You're very likely being nostalgic about the games here. Someone else might think a conversation between you and another on a different forum about classic games, is boring.

The reason I am conversing with RW about all this is because we seem to share a few similar interests and experiences. For me, I was a kid when I started using DOS, and had an almost obsessive interest in computers, programming and games. This stuff brings back good memories for me.

As for being young and beautiful, I was (and still consider myself) young, but never considered myself beautiful. I would have fit in well with the characters from "Revenge of the Nerds", including the calculator I kept in my jacket pocket and the tight, above the ankle, pants.
Hey all......

Thanks to the Midol Man - Dosraiderette - I now done learned of tis Quote stuff...

Moment of clarity and remembance:

Back in the 80's you could pick up from the BBS's or computer magazines code that you convert, via a BAT file into a COM file. Usually little utilities....

The text went something like this:

Something.bat

FF 00 2D FF OC
(then more code stuff)

>Whatever.com

the ">" I assume you know what that does

And you run the BATch file, and end up with a program, Command file.....

Hope that clarifies it.........

Okay, enough of that...let's bore Dosraiderette some more...Heh....

Hay slowcoder, remember BATCHMAN?

put out by PC Magazine in the...late 80's?

a front end program that enhanced your batch files....

as I recall, it went something like this:

batchman color 15,1
batchman box, 22,11,22,11
batchman locate 25,12,
batchman print Hello out there

ect. etc.

CGA graphics with that hidious purple ....eeew........

Heh...... and the realization you could rename COM & EXE files to make them easier to type..

like batchman.com to b.com.....simple, simple.....

You could do0 some wild stuff with Batch files, in reality a programming language, and it was a challange, considering the limit of commands..

there was a goto, and an if then.....

Hmmm......trying to jog the memory here.....oh yea......

if you wanted blank lines, instead of:

echo.
echo.

you could type echo (CTRL C) I *think* I know it was CTRL something, and you didn't see this:

Heh....remember...push & pop? (If I've got that right)

Assembly, I *think*. Never got into it that much....

int 12,22,19
push 12,22,19
pop 12,22,18

something like that

ANSI code used those little side arrows - extended ascii - that I couldn't figure out how to generate in a txt file

Copy & paste, copy & paste, copy & paste.......

Remember when DOS 5 came out...... wow, what an innovation! Heh...

The old days....

And as far as "young and beautiful", I was a stud back then....yup....

Last edited by Rogerwilco; 24-11-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Rogerwilco is offline                         Send a private message to Rogerwilco
Old 25-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #39
SlowCoder
Game freak

No, I never saw batchman, or push/pop. Batchman looks like I would have liked it, though.

When I say I was almost obsessive about the computer, I mean it. I didn't get good grades in school. School was boring. I knew the work, but couldn't be bothered to do it.

My parents thought it would be a good idea to remove my computer privileges until I got my grades up. They tried a few things, none of which worked, and one of which included locking the keyboard lock. I just fashioned a new key for it and continued on my way. Eventually, when my grades didn't improve, they gave up and gave me the computer. I removed the lock and installed a variable resistor to control the volume of the very loud internal speaker.
Old 25-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #40
Rogerwilco
Forum hobbit

Quote:
No, I never saw batchman, or push/pop. Batchman looks like I would have liked it, though.

When I say I was almost obsessive about the computer, I mean it. I didn't get good grades in school. School was boring. I knew the work, but couldn't be bothered to do it.

My parents thought it would be a good idea to remove my computer privileges until I got my grades up. They tried a few things, none of which worked, and one of which included locking the keyboard lock. I just fashioned a new key for it and continued on my way. Eventually, when my grades didn't improve, they gave up and gave me the computer. I removed the lock and installed a variable resistor to control the volume of the very loud internal speaker.
Heh...Bad Boy!
Like I said before, I was 30 in 79 when i got my first one, so I guess I can't blame computers for my lousy grades in school . . ..

Oh yea....on our friend dosraiderette:
He reminds me of either a politition or one of those so called "activests": Just waits around for someone or something to knock or criticize but doesn't have the b*lls/too scared to contribute...that would be taking a risk at turning the tables....

I feel sorry for those people, actually. Must be tough going through life afraid of your shadow....

Batchman is still around, btw, just google it....

Oh yea, wait a sec....

These'll bring back memories....

http://www.bbsmates.com/default.aspx (Look up all active BBS's)

http://archives.thebbs.org/

This one is way cool....all the old software, available for downloading....

Including....Door Games! Remember those?

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_I...tem__BBS_/?b=0

Buncha BBS stuff.....

Stupid question: (I did do some research on this, couldn't find anything)

To connect to a BBS using a terminal program, but having a cable modem/internet access....

is it possible? I know you can by a phone service that uses cable internet connections, my Step son has one, but I just wondering if it were possiable to "dial up" a BBS using the above.....

Anyways, you take care

rogerwilco and out
Rogerwilco is offline                         Send a private message to Rogerwilco