Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #31
skaven510
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranjoHello View Post
China is the most powerful nation in the world and no demonstrations are going to change that, because their goverment won't take any crap from no one.

Olympics are all about being at top of the world, show that you realy want the gold, and believe you can get it...not this politics shit.
Olympics and politics go hand in hand, my friend. If they didn't, do you think that China would spend $22 billion on it? If you don't think that then just read a couple of these articles about how China is using the event as a huge intelligence gathering operation. The US has warned anyone going there to leave all sensitive material at home and that there is no reasonable expectations to privacy in public or private places. Foreign owned hotels are put between a rock and a hard place. They're being forced to install software that will monitor the computers in rooms. Emails, Keystrokes everything. So to counter this the hotels are sending pop up messages to their customers computers saying that they are being monitored.

I always wondered why China was trying so hard to look good for the international community. Now I know why. It's an intelligence gathering gold mine.

http://beijingolympic2008.wordpress....-spying-games/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4304656.shtml

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4449148.ece

In an Ideal world the Olympics would just be about the athletes and the sports but unfortunatly this isn't an ideal world, especially in China where you are monitored and banned from even bringing religious symbols there. Bibles and other religous symbols are being banned. Who knew that Prayer beads would be such a terrorist threat to them:confused:

Banning Religion: http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/264115.aspx

Last edited by skaven510; 09-08-2008 at 04:38 AM.
skaven510 is offline                         Send a private message to skaven510
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #32
Miles
Forum hobbit

Send a message via AIM to Miles Send a message via MSN to Miles Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Send a message via Skype™ to Miles

Let's unleash Jack Bauer on China.
Miles is offline                         Send a private message to Miles
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #33
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

I recommend: South Park, Season 11, The Snuke.

"The following takes place between Recess and Geography Class."

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #34
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Swiss got first Bronze for Cancellara in Rad. Yay :nuts:

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #35
powdernsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaven510 View Post
Olympics and politics go hand in hand, my friend. If they didn't, do you think that China would spend $22 billion on it? If you don't think that then just read a couple of these articles about how China is using the event as a huge intelligence gathering operation. The US has warned anyone going there to leave all sensitive material at home and that there is no reasonable expectations to privacy in public or private places. Foreign owned hotels are put between a rock and a hard place. They're being forced to install software that will monitor the computers in rooms. Emails, Keystrokes everything. So to counter this the hotels are sending pop up messages to their customers computers saying that they are being monitored.

I always wondered why China was trying so hard to look good for the international community. Now I know why. It's an intelligence gathering gold mine.

http://beijingolympic2008.wordpress....-spying-games/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4304656.shtml

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle4449148.ece

In an Ideal world the Olympics would just be about the athletes and the sports but unfortunatly this isn't an ideal world, especially in China where you are monitored and banned from even bringing religious symbols there. Bibles and other religous symbols are being banned. Who knew that Prayer beads would be such a terrorist threat to them:confused:

Banning Religion: http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/264115.aspx

I'm pretty sure that the only reason why security is so tight in China, is because of the fact that the Olympics have been sabotaged before- and that the fact is present that there were reported rumours of an attack against them. I think that they are only trying to secure as much safety around the event as possible. People are not as "tame" as they used to be, ironically, and what with the events taking place in the Middle-East, I am almost positive that China is in the right position. I personally don't believe that there is a major conspiracy against the other nations. I do believe, however, that some people are simply paranoid. Logically thinking, no single regular person from the US or any other country would have anything worth China's "effort to spy". - -;

If you look back on the world's 'Not-so-distant History', people have claimed to have performed acts of violence in the name of their own respectful religion. In my own opinion, people are kind of taking the situation to an extreme that does not necessarily have to be. If nothing goes wrong during the Olympics in Beijing, will that not mean that they had the right idea? Because I for one, would like to enjoy the Olympics for what they are: A place in which any single individual person can share some fun, and compete in a friendly and safe environment.

That said, go teams, go! :laugh:

Ugh. I cringed when I saw Japan's male gymnast stumble after he made his landing. I was like, "Oh noes!" xD
powdernsky is offline                         Send a private message to powdernsky
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #36
zafo999
I get HYPE

Send a message via AIM to zafo999

Just once I'd like to have a conversation with somebody about the Olympics that doesn't turn into a tirade about how terrible China is. Actually, I'd even like to have a conversation about China that doesn't turn into a tirade about how terrible China is.

I don't remember this happening when the games were in Athens.

Also, the US is taking the Basketball gold and I'll fight anyone who claims otherwise.
zafo999 is offline                         Send a private message to zafo999
Old 17-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

China is beating some American asses on the medal scoreboard...nice. :amused:

Also it is pretty much clear where is USA in athletics now that doping control is harsh, and waht did they achieve with 10+ years of constant doping, nothing, all medals gone, all records erased.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 17-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #38
Tulac
Union Leader

Now they're doing it in swimming.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 18-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #39
Maz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranjoHello View Post
Also it is pretty much clear where is USA in athletics now that doping control is harsh, and waht did they achieve with 10+ years of constant doping, nothing, all medals gone, all records erased.
I hope you honestly didn't just say that, anyways....
A. USA is currently first in total medal count, albeit China has many more golds. Also one has to keep in mind many of the events in which the US is strongest (volleyball, basketball) have not yet concluded.
B. Going by your logic many of the US athletes should be currently off of the team, and the team itself failing in general due to "only winning because of doping", they're not.
C. Not to sound extremely nationalistic or anything, but if there is a doping problem going on, it's not "exclusive" to the USA, it only receives more press coverage, in all honesty people are going to care WAY more if an athlete from one of the larger teams in the competition has a cheater in it's midst than say some random guy from some smaller nation nobody has ever heard of.
D. More controversy in general has been raised towards china, not only for "China is bad" / tibet protests but possible cheating (underage gymnasts) as well as the opening ceremony (lip syncing / digital fireworks).
E. Michael Phelps > China
Maz2 is offline                         Send a private message to Maz2
Old 18-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #40
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

I was hoping some fool like Maz2 would have shameful courage to say something about USA honesty...take a look at this... :notrust:

http://www.001ofasecond.com/

...if you can say something to this, whell...you're an American you can do whatever you want, and still get away with that...at least for a while!

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello