off/
sorry
Juanca, are YOU a real yoga, pls?
I am.

yog
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 12-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
nvrmre

Wow... if all you need is a name, location and birthdate to steal someone's identity, then the internet must be a goldmine.

That would mean a phone book is essentially a crime spree waiting to happen...

Seriously, if you don't feel comfortable giving such information, make something up. I don't think that the moderators will be making house calls to double check the accuracy of the info...
nvrmre is offline                         Send a private message to nvrmre
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Just like Russ, Russ isn't actually in Slovakia, he's the bum outside the mall.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Doink
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrmre View Post
Wow... if all you need is a name, location and birthdate to steal someone's identity, then the internet must be a goldmine.
It is a goldmine and ID theft takes place all the time especially these days when banking and shopping can be done on line.

I agree name location and date of birth are not enough to steal somebodys identity but its a start from which more personal information could be found.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

/me checks doink's location oh..south africa, that's why. tell me are you the "20 MILLION DOLLARS TRANSFER" dude who i've been pranking a week ago?

but seriously what do you mean by the internet shopping? how the hell is that related to your birthcountry or identity?

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 12-07-2008 at 09:11 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #16
peace01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Sure, sure... the only people beside Kosta himself who could access that information are the admins.
We don't check it without having a good reason, which pretty much means we barely ever do it at all.

End this paranoia bullshit already, will you?
Name, location and birth date are hardly sufficient for anyone to steal your identity. They'd also need your social ID number (which is called different things in different countries). Not to mention a purpose to use your identity for.

Also. Your birth date is only required when the forum displays user birthdays for current day, but you have to re-enter it in the forum profile for that to work. And there you can choose if you want it displayed to begin with, and if so then how (as in: age only, date only or full age & date).
Ever here of a phone book with name, birthdate, and ext location yu can simple go to a phone book and find thier address. With just that much info you can get a credit card in someone's elses name. that is teh info needed to find someones sociaalsecurity number. And, the main point it isn't nescary for them to collect this information.
Isp will give them location, Age and name is unimportant.

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 12-07-2008 at 09:46 AM.
peace01 is offline                         Send a private message to peace01
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
Zoltan Mihaly

Default Lol

Ah, damn, you are aware of it now. I found out who you are, and broke into your house last night, and was about to steal your identity!!! but then I noticed you typing this post and I realised I have no chance.

:laugh:
Zoltan Mihaly is offline                         Send a private message to Zoltan Mihaly
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace01 View Post
Ever here of a phone book with name, birthdate, and ext location yu can simple go to a phone book and find thier address. With just that much info you can get a credit card in someone's elses name. that is teh info needed to find someones sociaalsecurity number. And, the main point it isn't nescary for them to collect this information.
Isp will give them location, Age and name is unimportant.
peace01, make a list, on that list every one who has that info.
Put on that list every time you ever provided that info, school, biblio, work, whatevers and whatnots, hotels, any time you gladly provided that info to complete strangers.
Don't forget to add the times your parents had to give detailed info about you when you were a small child.

You may have nightmares now.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Ever here of a phone book with name, birthdate, and ext location yu can simple go to a phone book and find thier address.
Yeah, sure. My name is John Reese. Which Sara Connor are you?
Quote:
With just that much info you can get a credit card in someone's elses name. that is teh info needed to find someones sociaalsecurity number.
Perhaps, perhaps not.
Are you trying to accuse the staff of this site of attempting identity theft on anyone?

Quote:
And, the main point it isn't nescary for them to collect this information.
It's not, but this is how the boss set up the registration process. Since the Drupal administrator controls are a chaotic mess, none of us have the slightest idea where the registration settings are dug up in the first place if we wanted to change them (like when there was talk of changing the location box to a text input).

Requiring the user to input name, age and location serves as a major deterrent for bot registration. We had perhaps three bots get in since the site upgrade - before that, it was more like a minimum of three bots a week.

Finally, you had to enter this information when registering... so if you're so freaking paranoid, why the hell did you register here (or anywhere else, for that matter) to begin with?

Quote:
peace01, make a list, on that list every one who has that info.
Put on that list every time you ever provided that info, school, biblio, work, whatevers and whatnots, hotels, any time you gladly provided that info to complete strangers.
Don't forget to add the times your parents had to give detailed info about you when you were a small child.
QFT.
Truth is, anyone can get full detailed information on your person if they put half their mind to it. There are places where you can't avoid providing it to people you don't know jack shit about - ever bought anything on eBay, for example?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 12-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Now now folks, this is newbie bashing.

Everybody take a good, deep breath and get their idea clear for a moment.

Now continue with the newbie bashing. It's entertaining.
Closed Thread