Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-04-2007, 04:11 AM   #81
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 29 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]288794[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
BTW. If you have Windows 95/98 instead of XP, then you can run it withouth DosBox.
[/b]
Are you sure? I seem to remember the Ultima games have an issue with EMM. There could be a difference here between the "ordinary" Ultimas and the Underworlds, but if EMM is an issue, how to turn it off in Win? In DOS that's not a problem, but I never figured out how to turn it off in Win.

EDIT: When you start a new character/game, you come to a point when your character gets random attribute points. Thing is this is far from random. Take note of the points, complete the creation, scrap the character and restart the creation. Take note etc etc etc.
Now, for some strange reason, if you exit the game completly and restart it, the _very same_ sequence you noted down will re-appear. Find one set of attribute points you're happy with on the list you made earlier, and keep scrapping your characters until that set shows up. Then it's off for some adventure.
Old 18-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #82
arlesya
world wanderer

Wink

Oh, this game brings back memories... I hope some of you don't mind the long love letter I'll write to my beloved Ultima Underworld. As my dear norwegian friend Mighty Midget once stated, this was also the game that hooked me up with the Ultima series. To be honest, I didn't even know the series existed before it. Hosanas, hosanas... In addition, it was the search for this game that drove me to Abandonia!! And there was much rejoicing!

It all started when we had an old PC and my stepdaddy got a CD full of games as a present from some coworker. One of them was this one, but it didn't seen to work as I never got it to open correctly and so the CD was driven into the shadows of forgetfullness. Some years passed and the nerdier I became the more I started fooling around with computers. When we got a better PC, we were cleaning and trowing away old floppy disks and CDs when I found this one and thought: "and if I tried to run it now?". I was 15, the game was already at least 5 years old, maybe this time. And it worked!! Boy, was I happy! I just couldn't stop playing it. I was doing pretty good even without any walkthroughs (we didn't have internet conection yet). And when I was getting into the depths of the Stygian Abyss, when glory was just before me... the PC crashed... <_< I lost most of the game I was playing :wallbash: being left just with some archives I made a backup of. But, alas, when the PC was finally fixed, the game didn't seen to want to run anymore. And so it went again into shadows of forgetfullness... *obscure sentimental background music*

Since it didn't run anymore, I tried other games of the Ultima series, specially the one made for Sega Master System, a console which I surprisely owned so could rent the game. I have to say that all of them made me addicted, but I still wanted to play the Stygian Abyss again. After some time, the CD also disappeared. I forgot all about it when on April at a bar some friends started talking about the series and I decided to look for it again and found this lovely website.

Playing it again made me realise I still love it! It's a great game really! Thank you so much FreeFreddy for uploading it.

There's, of course, much to be said about my love for this marvelous series. However I'll do it from time to time one love letter at a time
Old 13-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #83
Bersaelor

I use Debian Linux and Dosbox, all worked fine, UU is definitily an RPG worth playing.
The Problem is, that everytime i sleep the game freezes.
I could sleep several times, until the Ghost showed up twice, but now it doesn't work anymore.

I saw someone posted the same Problem, does someone know an answer?

Old 14-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #84
Sander

One of the best cheats for the game is to delete the shades.dat file. If you do so. You don't have to carry the torch/lamp and many oil-cans. It is always lit everywhere. As I can remember. I had problems in on Level 6. The level where you cannot cast spells. To create food. And you had never enough oil the relight the torch or lamp.

An other cheat is to copy some of the 'save'-files into another save-files which is at start of the game for example. This way, you have al the power and goodies direct at the beginning. This works also for UW2.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #85
narses

I remember playing this game as a kid, and man I did not know what I was doing, but I had fun doing it! I didn't know anything about mantras, or even how to wear armor, but somehow I got to lv 5 iirc.

Old 29-09-2007, 06:27 PM   #86
T-Man

I've discovered that in Ultima Underworld, the human fist is far tougher than iron or steel.

It is possible to bash down doors with your fist, and while mere maces and swords tend to get damaged very quickly when used for bashing, your fist takes no damage at all. Which means most of the time you don't have to bother looking for stupid keys - just bash the damn door down with a series of blows from your mighty punch!

Admittedly I was lazy and finished the game unarmed in easy mode, perhaps in standard mode when you use your fist you take damage to your health or something...

Old 30-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #87
Steeltemplar

I loved this game and I have a friend who I think would rank it as one of the best of all time. Sadly, I could not get very far because this one - like pretty much all older 3d games - made me feel sick when I played. It is a testament to how good it was that I played for as long as I did.

I wish someone would think of remaking this with modern generation graphics.
Steeltemplar is offline                         Send a private message to Steeltemplar
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #88
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

there is a remake project (google it), but i belive they are not finished yet.

if you liked this one maybe you should try Arx Fatalis - much better graphics, kind of similar story (but different). it's a tribute to Ultima and using certain cheats it also changes the screen so it looks like you are playinig UW Stygian Abiss.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #89
svpearson

I have a copy of the CD versions of both Underworld 1 and 2 and the versions of the files are both more recent than the version you have here and the patch available on the net. I would be happy to provide it to you if you want to upload it so people dont have to worry about using an older version from here.
svpearson is offline                         Send a private message to svpearson
Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #90
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yeah that would be awesome, can you host it somewhere?