Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Japo
Autonomous human

Your Windows version is most important info. BSOD is indeed normal operation in Win9X, the first normal step would be formatting the Windows partition. BSODs can appear in XP as an anomality caused, I heard, either by hardware failures, or by low-level software such as drivers, firewalls, antivirus etc --not by high-level normal applications which are closed upon malfunction by Windows. I'd suggest that you run Windows without these low-level programs running, or better yet you boot in safe mode, and see if the BSODs still appear, the affirmative case would reinforce the idea that it's caused by hardware, but don't assume the worst right from the start.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
jg007
Super Freak

Win XP SP2 , and i've already ran the re-install everything game.

Zonealarm is occasionaly buggy but I have never had it cause BSOD, I re-installed it anyway.
Problem was happening although a little less frequently before xp re-install about 1 1/2 months ago
Graphics, network card and sound drivers all re-installed. (twice

I may go for another XP re-install , I am just starting to think that it is more likely hardware at present as it is very random and doesn't seem to be caused by any specific driver also the crash analysis is not showing anything usefull, ie: any driver at fault and only mentions ntoskrnl

BSOD does happen in SP2 as said when you set the computer to not reboot, I had never seen it previously at least on my machine but it seems to be ahappening all too frequently now although as it is still only once a day at most and cannot be caused to happen it is a bit difficult to start running in safe mode etc.

ms support :w00t: , what at about £33 a shot!, at least that was about the price last time I saw it .

jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 9 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]303967[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Any thought on helping the thread starter instead of posting random nonsense?
[/b]
what did you just do with your post? go in a corner.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Stop trolling this thread Russ, else I'm going to report you. Moderator flag or not.

jg007: If you have an old model or you moved your computer recently, I'd check if all the cards were all well placed in their slots. Old models had a lot of problem of this kind before they created the new fit slots, but even the new slots are not 100% full proof from big bumps on the road if you moved the tower.

If it's indeed an hardware problem... You'd probably have no other option than find the culprit and replace it. It would be best if you simply take the computer to a computer store for them to check everything, but since you said you don't have a lot of money to waste on the problem right now...
Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
strider2

Hope I can be of help in any way.

Review:
"0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not
catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including
hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some
software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional
information."

A majority of the readout seems to to point at network driver compatibility issues.

Should you have Vista,
lots of users are having issues with Vista incompatibility to older hardware/software drivers.

From what the data reads, it may be having trouble with your network card , "Bad ip" IP fault.

If this is the case, query which software/hardware that you installed in the past caused the computer to crash.

Ntkrnlpa.exe can also be corrupted.
I would go to the windows recovery console using your xp/vista cd and run sfc /scannow to find and replace corrupted system driver.

Can you log into safe mode normally without experiencing crashes?

If so go into that mode, Check device manager for any network card conflicts.

Try disabling the network card drivers one by one (wireless, bridge, mac, local area) until you finally find the culprit of the blue screens.

There may be background services, startup applications creating a conflict with other drivers.
go to Start/ run, msconfig. Then check the services tab, and check the box (hide all microsoft services).

Disable all of the services temporarily, repeat this in the startup tab.
uncheck all running non-microsoft services.

Warning, disabling services in msconfig is not recommended it (unchecking services is like disabling them).
To manually restart,start or stop a service, go to start, run services.msc.

If it allows the system to function properly again, slowly re-enable each service/startup app. until the one causing the trouble is discovered.

This is the last, and usually most unlikely solution for some machines.
Run memtest and check for possible memory/motherboard errors.
Try running memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com/. To see if you get any errors,and you have replaced the ram and or cpu, then the motherboard may be at fault.
strider2 is offline                         Send a private message to strider2
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
jg007
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(strider @ Aug 10 2007, 06:37 AM) [snapback]304018[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hope I can be of help in any way.
[/b]
Thanks,

I did wonder if it might be the network card but I am also not sure if that ip bit is a red herring as it could relate to another type of ' ip ' as the other text doesn't seem to be network pointing but then I'm not to sure at that level!.

one of the bigest problems is that it can be fine for a few days making it a bit impractical to run in safe mode or start disabling things!, also I play a lot with the PC and make so many changes it can be difficult to pinpoint which specific one may have caused this

might try SFC fix , i'm never too sure how this works though when some files in the OS might have been upgrade by service packs / IE 7 etc. I don't tend to have many services running so not sure what is left to disable but I will look again

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 10 2007, 03:04 AM) [snapback]304011[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If you have an old model or you moved your computer recently, I'd check if all the cards were all well placed in their slots.
[/b]
hmm , probably should check that as I did move it again before it got worse so maybe if it was loose I may have unseated it, at the same time I will remove the extra 512MB that I stuck in incase that has made it worse
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007