Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #571
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 3 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]297784[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You do a few things about that:
1. Open Dosbox.conf and set core to dynamic
2. Change starting cycles to 10000 and the cycleup/cycledown values to 1000.
3. Change output to ddraw or overlay (surface is the slowest one there is)

Now in DOSBox experiment with frameskip and increasing/decreasing cycles until it runs at a satisfactory speed.
CTRL+F7 / F8 increase and decrease frameskip, CTRL+F11 / F12 increase/decrease cycles. I don't recommend setting frameskip too high - 1 or 2 should be more than enough.

Remember to use DOSBox v0.70 for that, BTW, since it's a fair bit faster than the previous versions (and more stable with dynamic core).
[/b]
uh oh...
norton commander will no longer auto run.
riostyx is offline                         Send a private message to riostyx
Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #572
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riostyx @ Jul 3 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]297787[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 3 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]297784[/snapback]
Quote:
You do a few things about that:
1. Open Dosbox.conf and set core to dynamic
2. Change starting cycles to 10000 and the cycleup/cycledown values to 1000.
3. Change output to ddraw or overlay (surface is the slowest one there is)

Now in DOSBox experiment with frameskip and increasing/decreasing cycles until it runs at a satisfactory speed.
CTRL+F7 / F8 increase and decrease frameskip, CTRL+F11 / F12 increase/decrease cycles. I don't recommend setting frameskip too high - 1 or 2 should be more than enough.

Remember to use DOSBox v0.70 for that, BTW, since it's a fair bit faster than the previous versions (and more stable with dynamic core).
[/b]
uh oh...
norton commander will no longer auto run.
[/b][/quote]
I fixed nc.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #573
riostyx

I fixed everything and all I need to do is tweak the cycles and frames until it runs perfectly. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #574

ok this is an ABANDONWARE site so if a game is esa protected or u have to buy it u should take it off the games list...instead of dashing peoples hopes you guys arent to bright and this site is crappy

Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #575
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 7 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]298284[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
ok this is an ABANDONWARE site so if a game is esa protected or u have to buy it u should take it off the games list...instead of dashing peoples hopes you guys arent to bright and this site is crappy
[/b]
Your insight is much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #576
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

we are sorry to disappoint you to have a review on our site o_O
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #577
Bob the Dinosuar

This morning I saw this on Steam. You can now get X-Com for $5. Probably one of the more reliable ways to get a game this old, so I thought I'd point it out incase anyone is looking for it.
Edit: Just realized someone pointed this out, oh well.

@'Guest': X-Com dosen't have a download on this site, nor is this site crappy, what are you talking about? Sorry if you were looking for a warez site friend.
Bob the Dinosuar is offline                         Send a private message to Bob the Dinosuar
Old 10-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #578
Bahut

A relatively easy method of obtaining alien alloy & elerium 115...

Build a base next to an alien one and take out all the supply ships that arrive.

One question... is there a way to make the window larger while running TFTD with dosbox ?
Bahut is offline                         Send a private message to Bahut
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #579
laiocfar
NOD Commander

alt + enter?
Old 16-07-2007, 06:04 AM   #580
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I was replaying and finally discovered something interesting about promotions. Many ppl belives that its based on the personal score of the soldier (kills + missions), i always belived that it was linked to skills but never known about the "hidden" skills as the ones related to molecular control.

It was the first mission a terror zone on a port, the mission started with many aliens next to the triton exit so i didnt move a single trooper out. A few kills(4) and one of the best skilled troops get shooted by friendly fire. A letal wound without medical aid availble, i decided to scrap the mission. Back, at the base, the 20 soldiers gives 4 promotions(to officiers, no to able seamen). 2 of the troops with a kill got really good skills and get promoted. Anotherone with a kill got decent skills, no good as others who didnt get promoted. The last trooper promoted didnt got a kill and got good skills like the first 2 and better than the third one. Also a fifth marine who managed to kill an alien during that first mission didnt get promoted. Their skills are under the average of my actual personel and he get promoted to Able seamen.

So, basic promotion (seaman to able seaman/rookie to squaddie in UFO) is given with the first kill or with many missions. Promotions to officier are given according to skills (even hidden*) of the trooper.

Its true that many skills are traineable (Ex: carry many equipment to improve strenght), so a trooper veteran of many skirmish and some major battles has a big chance of being promoted while an earlier ensing transfered to do guard duties in a distant base will get no improvement and has a low chance of getting more ranks.

*This can give you hints about your troops MC strenght, soldiers with good MC skills will be promoted when having less experience and skills than other troopers... or troopers with many kills and better basic skills who didnt get promoted are weak to MC.