Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #91
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

cremz, adding a first person view doesn't equal 'crosshair in the middle'. It doesn't even mean combat where character skill falls to the background to player skill.

For me, first person view can add a lot of immersion, making you feel like you are the character, rather then just a result of the character's general awareness and his conscience (The only gripe I'd ever have about the Baldur's Gate series - When saying it's immersive you mean it's a gripping story that grabs a hold of you, that is believable and consistant, however it's never something beyond that, it never draws you in. For that matter, it's like a book, I love books, but I don't really play games for the exact same experience, now do I?). It's you walking through the world, not him and you hitchhiking along, shouting orders into his ear.

Quote:
Oh yeah something additional. In Oblivion, you can have a bow and arrow aimed at a citizens head and only standing an inch away from you (while looking at you)..and you can missed that![/b]
How odd... That's because it functions largely like you described. A (manual) head shot wouldn't fit in there.
Same for Morrowind, when you stand next to the guy, but are inexperienced, you're still likely to miss. Because it works exactly like you said you want it to. Maybe your having trouble with it breaking immersion when the game is in first person, which I could understand, but that's something you wouldn't even have otherwise. It seems a bit protective.

Sartoris, it's sad that Oblivion-like is thought of as Bethesda-type. They can do a lot better, if only they would. And I do want to hope they will again (although their recent games push doesn't seem to indicate it).
Old 18-02-2007, 02:41 AM   #92
silz
Abandonia nerd

Ok putting it in a real life scenario. I am a noobie at archery but as long as I know how to use a bow and arrow, I'll never miss the bull's eye given a distance of a few inch if I have a skill of one. It will be entirely a different story alltogether if you expect me to hit the bull's eye 300 yards away. That's when we need to have a high skill. But that person in Oblivion was at a really close distance, looking at you and obviously not in battle mode so how could you miss it as he doesn't tries to interrupts you? Oblivion is also a game that has sewerage system up to 3 storeys high for stormwater drainage? Well, it looks dirty enough with rats and all for us to think that human waste did pass through it but there are no toilets/kitchen sink to be found in the game.
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz
Old 18-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #93
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Oh please, don't start about that. Look at other RPG's in a like setting and environment and expand your criticism. Such elements do not have a viable worth to cost in almost any scenario.

And again, hits and misses are determined by stats in one game and there are no headshots for huge damage (In Oblivion or any other RPG since the damage done is about stats, not as much player skill), and they decided not to have people walk about with arrows stick out of their forehead. So they move the arrows down.
So by trying to comply to your system they do it wrong. In fact, pretty much any other RPG should suffer the same fate (I've never played one, FPS or otherwise, where firing an arrow standing next to the other guy results in an insta kill - Hell, where swinging a sword and getting a good hit results in an insta-kill against any opponent, or myself).

Looking at you, you should probably play a good FPS rather then an RPG. In those games it's about player skill, hitting where it hurts and, in some, realistic enough that a bullet kills you (like a sword would do). Toilets and sinks are also favourites in those games, you'd like them :P
Old 20-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #94
liamoneal13

To everyone. Download and learn how to use the Windows Compatibility tool from Microsoft. I have been able to use it to run virtually every game I've come across (even some DOS games) under XP.
liamoneal13 is offline                         Send a private message to liamoneal13
Old 20-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #95
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liamoneal13 @ Feb 20 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]280117[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
To everyone. Download and learn how to use the Windows Compatibility tool from Microsoft. I have been able to use it to run virtually every game I've come across (even some DOS games) under XP.
[/b]
isn't that installed as standard for xp? you needed to register a dll under W2K to get compatabilty mode though.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 21-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #96
silz
Abandonia nerd

I run it with Windows 95 compatibility mode and the hard disk error was gone. Ahhh our HDD is so big these days that they can't comprehend how much is it needed. Ahh those were the old days. I still have my riva TNT2 N64 video card. Maybe I should play fallout with it and kick out the old days in full gear. I guess it would helps prevent the blacken screen once in a while but I'm not complaining.
Old 21-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #97
silz
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Feb 18 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]279837[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh please, don't start about that. Look at other RPG's in a like setting and environment and expand your criticism. Such elements do not have a viable worth to cost in almost any scenario.

And again, hits and misses are determined by stats in one game and there are no headshots for huge damage (In Oblivion or any other RPG since the damage done is about stats, not as much player skill), and they decided not to have people walk about with arrows stick out of their forehead. So they move the arrows down.
So by trying to comply to your system they do it wrong. In fact, pretty much any other RPG should suffer the same fate (I've never played one, FPS or otherwise, where firing an arrow standing next to the other guy results in an insta kill - Hell, where swinging a sword and getting a good hit results in an insta-kill against any opponent, or myself).

Looking at you, you should probably play a good FPS rather then an RPG. In those games it's about player skill, hitting where it hurts and, in some, realistic enough that a bullet kills you (like a sword would do). Toilets and sinks are also favourites in those games, you'd like them :P
[/b]
Yeah I guess you are right. It does makes the RPG stats into play. I used to like BEthesda after playing Morrowind (only game). I would chill out in their forums and offer aids to new players. I was quite ok when they announce they will be making Fallout 3. But after Oblivion, my whole opinion changes. I admit its a pretty huge turnaround and I'm stressing up myself right now which is not good. Its not like I'm not stress enough already from work. It would be wisest imo that I just shutup until Bethesda starts to release info about the game to game mags.

Old 23-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #98
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

somebody mentioned fallout in 1st person. there actually is modification for hl , now i dont know if it has story line or its just a multiplayer, but i played old version like half year ago and it was multiplayer only. but it was fun=) (i played the hl1 version, not source). it doesnt have to do anything wtih original story line/ characters but models weapons and stuff like bleedig or alternative firemodes are based fallout..and post apocaliptic maps of course.
http://thewastes.planethalflife.gamespy.co...e/exec/news.php
Old 26-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #99
Efraihm

Fallout1 & 2 was really great games and still are. The cartrunk bug in FO2 was annoying though..
FO3 is probably the most awaited rpg ever, btw is it true that Interplay is planning a Fallout MMORPG?
Efraihm is offline                         Send a private message to Efraihm
Old 02-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #100
mirrorshades
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Efraihm @ Feb 26 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]281075[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
is it true that Interplay is planning a Fallout MMORPG?
[/b]
Yup:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16345

http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFramese...2F2006&pdf=
mirrorshades is offline                         Send a private message to mirrorshades