Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #91
xonic64

Descent 3 was also great.
xonic64 is offline                         Send a private message to xonic64
Old 31-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #92
AndyX

Hey

Descent is still around. There´s a large German community, visit www.descentforum.de
There´s also the DescentBB, with people from the whole world, visit www.descentbb.net and www.descentbb.com

For D1 the Project D1X-Rebirth was started, with the goal to enhance the original Descent and make it run under Windows.
For D2 there is D2X-Rebirth (same as D1X-R, for Descent2), and D2X-XL, a large project for Windows, Linux and MacOS, with a lot of graphical and gameplay improvements and bug fixes.

www.dxx-rebirth.de
www.descent2.de

Descent3 is played by most players, on over 50 onlinegame-servers.
The tool Vortex makes it especially easy to join a game (with one or two clicks!).

oh, Descent1 and Descent2 can also be played online easily.

Descent rulez! k:

Old 02-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #93
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

Hah, There are 3 games I grew up playing over the modem: Descent, Rise of the Triad, and Doom. I have to say, seeing that Descent intro really brought back memories. It truly was a wonderful game, and I really liked that Descent 2 incorporated early 3Dfx features.

What are some other opinions on Descent 3 here? I didn't like it, but I could never figure out why. It seemed like it did what D1 and D2 did, but better, but I just could not get into it. I used a joystick with the same controls I used for the old games, but something about it seemed hollow to me. I dont know what it is, but I've tried about 4 times to get into Descent 3 but it just never worked. Anyone else experience this?
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #94
AndyX

Most people who grew up with D1 and D2 (including me) say D3 doesn´t have the dark claustrophobic feeling like D1. D1 always used to scare the holy daylight out of me, it never got boring, but D3 gets really boring after a time.. There are several differences between D1: The "mines" are way to big, the robots look just neat and nice.. The weapons seem to have no effect (in D1 the weapons always make a loud explosion) and the robots are a too small so you cant hit them..

Old 17-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #95
Sartoris

I'm not sure whether Freespace 1/2 are part of this series, but personally I think they're much better than the early descent games...
Sartoris is offline                         Send a private message to Sartoris
Old 14-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #96
darknight

well thats part of the descent cult - no newcomer will enjoy an old game like those who did when it came out and was revolutionary - it was for its time but you wont understand that.

it was a cool game because it was challenging to the mind -
if you complain about that then what can I possibly say to insult you more than you just did yourself.

And I blame people like you for sequels that totally suck -

All the challenging elements made the first game feel like you are left to your own devices to succeed
reading the map - and while trying to figure this out you get the shock of your life when something comes at you from nowhere and starts shooting or slashing at you..

getting lost - trying to get out in time and many times make it on the last second (or not at all)
all provoke emotions and an imersive gaming experience.

Only games of requiring (at least) this mental caliber made me feel immersed and is why I say its one of the best games ive ever played.

What possible fun can you have if you judge a game by how it looks and how "easy" it is to play

Rather judge by how it makes you think and feel

Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #97
WillyP

I enjoyed D1 and D3, for different reasons. True, D3 did not have the dark scary feeling that D1 did, but it holds it's own in other ways.

To play Descent 1 and Descent 2 on todays machines, use D2X-XL.

Visit www.prepare4descent.net

Old 20-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #98

Anyone else use to play this with World of Warcraft on Kahn or Kali?

Old 20-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #99
XArgon

A very nice and really inovative game. The sequels are even better. Descent 2 was some kind of an "extension", and Descent 3 is a real masterpiece of the series, with new Windows engine and graphics, and inovative gameplay and storyline...
The first part is also very good however.

PS: Speaking about the review - Screenshot #4 there is from Descent-2...

Old 21-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #100
Scatty
Treasure hunter

No it isn't. It's just with a fullscreen view without the cockpit, and if you look again you'll see that the red robot is from the first Descent too.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty