Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #231
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Nov 1 2006, 12:36 AM) [snapback]264704[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I downloaded "Beast and the Harlot" by Avenged Sevenfold and I love the riff at the beginning...but the vocals make me lose respect for that band entirely. Rule number one of metal: you do NOT put in soft vocals at innapropriate times.
[/b]

I liked Avenged Sevenfold when they played metalcore, but I hate their newest album (the one with Beast and the Harlot on it). The musicianship is good and there's some great riffs, but the vocals are absolutely terrible. And the band completely changed their style of music from metalcore with prog elements, to basically something that sounds like a rip off of Guns 'n' Roses (who were awful to start with).

I don't mind bands changing their style a bit from time to time, in fact I like it generally, but in Sevenfold's case they changed their style to a more mainstream sound upon signing to a major record label (which just screams 'sell-out'), and in the process they completely alienated most of their original fanbase (you might notice most fans of the old stuff hate the new stuff, and vice versa).

I'm also getting sick of seeing them trying to look tough in their videos and in photos in magazines all the time. To me they have become a band that is very much 'style over substance'.

But if you want to hear something good by the band, listen to 'I Won't See You Tonight' parts 1 and 2, from the 'Waking the Fallen' album. Part 1 is softer, with lots of piano and soft vocals (his singing was never very good, but he did used to be a bit better than he is now), and part 2 is harder with lots of screaming. It's a great song.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 03-11-2006, 03:05 AM   #232
Iowa
Game Wizzard

*Sigh* Whatever happened to style and substance?

...Ah well, at least we've got those few left with the courage not to sell out (Rammstein, Slayer).
Old 03-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #233
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

There's a lot of bands that still haven't sold out, Ramenstein is not even metal first off, close but no cigar.

The tops being Iron Maiden which has both style and substance still to this very day and they are still going strong 80 mil albums and counting, then you can add bands like Dream Theater, Megadeth, Kamelot, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Symphony X, Nevermore, Strapping Young Lad, Queensryche, Kreator, and many more. Most of these bands finally getting the exposure they deserve but it's not because of changing their music to fit a more mainstream audience it's just building up a fanbase through the years.

Whereas bands like Trivium, Mastadoon and others are in a way selling out, for the hits.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 03-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #234
chainsoar
Master Debater

Post-grunge? Seether? No way! Have you been imbibing hallucinogenic substances of some kind or what? Translation - Are you on crack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 03-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #235
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Nov 3 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]265163[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Post-grunge? Seether? No way! Have you been imbibing hallucinogenic substances of some kind or what? Translation - Are you on crack?
[/b]
What? They ARE post-grunge, I don't see how you can argue with that. Have you ever heard the band?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #236
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeathDude @ Nov 2 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]265087[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
There's a lot of bands that still haven't sold out, Ramenstein is not even metal first off, close but no cigar.

The tops being Iron Maiden which has both style and substance still to this very day and they are still going strong 80 mil albums and counting, then you can add bands like Dream Theater, Megadeth, Kamelot, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Symphony X, Nevermore, Strapping Young Lad, Queensryche, Kreator, and many more. Most of these bands finally getting the exposure they deserve but it's not because of changing their music to fit a more mainstream audience it's just building up a fanbase through the years.

Whereas bands like Trivium, Mastadoon and others are in a way selling out, for the hits.
[/b]
Mastodon selling out? Isn't Blood Mountain their newest album? Because if so, then from what i've heard of it, it's sure no Lost and Found (hence "The Wolf Is Loose").
Old 03-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #237
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Whoops Mastadoon LOL my bad ignore what I said, they aren't close to selling out, mental lapse think I had, anyways my point was that there is a lot of bands who haven't come close to selling out.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 03-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #238
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Yeah, I know...but it seems like it sometimes...
Old 04-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #239
Cerebro-Megalomane

I love Metal, especially Black, Doom, Prog-Sympho; and naturally Heavy.

My favourite bands are :

Iron Maiden ; My Dying Bride ; Blind Guardian ; Immortal ; Satyricon ; Supuration (A French Doom Metal band, very cool) ; Megadeth ; Dream Theater ; Black Sabbath (just with Ozzy) ; Anathema ; Paradise Lost ; Rhapsody (of fire)...

And so many more...
Cerebro-Megalomane is offline                         Send a private message to Cerebro-Megalomane
Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #240
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konnar le Barbant @ Nov 4 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]265327[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I love Metal, especially Black, Doom, Prog-Sympho; and naturally Heavy.

My favourite bands are :

Iron Maiden ; My Dying Bride ; Blind Guardian ; Immortal ; Satyricon ; Supuration (A French Doom Metal band, very cool) ; Megadeth ; Dream Theater ; Black Sabbath (just with Ozzy) ; Anathema ; Paradise Lost ; Rhapsody (of fire)...

And so many more...
[/b]
All good bands

I saw Paradise Lost last night, supporting Opeth. It was awesome two of my favourite bands on one night