Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #2581
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try again. Some joker has deleted several of our archives recently, but they should (SHOULD) all be back up now.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #2582

Quote:
Hello,

sorry i couldy read all posts, there just roo many.

i love this game but i always have the problem, that it throws me on the desktop and shut the game down.

i am using win xp sp2. is anyone aware of this problem and knows a solution?

thanks
[/b]
I get his under XP too (using the download from this site), it randomly quits to the desktop every so often. Seems to only happen in ground battles. If you save at the start and every few turns, theres no harm done, given how quick and easy it is to launch the game with a modern PC

The CTD is rare enough for me to be able to keep playing. In fact ive been playing obsessively over the past few days after a 10-year break from this great game Now back to defending my base from the Snakemen...

Old 26-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #2583
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

I insalled it from the CE edition CDRom and the game crashes on me too every now and then. Must be because it was made for DOS originally, or the game is just buggy. I shut down as many background tasks windows will allow and this seems to help a little. I'm running XP with SP1a.

I had a thought, maybe it depends on what chipset your computer has because I was using the Gigabyte K7 Triton Series and the game crashed quite often. Since I changed to the NF3 250 series, the game has been a lot more stable. Mind you this is only a thought.

XCOM RULES
Old 26-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #2584
zepl

I'm having the issue with the mouse scrolling way too fast in the battlescape. I downloaded the windows version from here. I tried using Turbo (set it to 1%) and I adjusted the ingame scroll speed. I adjusted my mouse speed from windows and nothing slows it down even the slightest.

I tried to get the DOS version but.. what file is supposed to run it? I tried running most of them and the closest I got was a black screen with the title bar switching between geoscape.exe and battlescape.exe every few seconds. I was using DOSBox to run it.
zepl is offline                         Send a private message to zepl
Old 27-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #2585

I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, this along with Ultima 8 Pagan, is the best. game. ever! Can't find anything similar nowadays :-( Glad DOSBox is around. Cheers and have fun!

Old 27-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #2586
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temporary @ Oct 27 2006, 07:49 AM) [snapback]263717[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm having the issue with the mouse scrolling way too fast in the battlescape. I downloaded the windows version from here. I tried using Turbo (set it to 1%) and I adjusted the ingame scroll speed. I adjusted my mouse speed from windows and nothing slows it down even the slightest.

I tried to get the DOS version but.. what file is supposed to run it? I tried running most of them and the closest I got was a black screen with the title bar switching between geoscape.exe and battlescape.exe every few seconds. I was using DOSBox to run it.
[/b]

Sounds like you are using the ufo defence.exe. Don't, use the exe that looks like a yellow sun.
Old 27-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #2587
zepl

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hypersniper @ Oct 26 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]263753[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temporary @ Oct 27 2006, 07:49 AM) [snapback]263717[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Sounds like you are using the ufo defence.exe. Don't, use the exe that looks like a yellow sun.
[/b][/quote]

If you're referring to the windows version, neither executable, ufodefence.exe or ufo.exe (Yellow sun) does anything different so far as starting a new game and getting to a battlescape to test scroll speed. Nor is the scroll speed any different.

On the DOS version I have all these choices:
dos4gw.exe; Nothing
intro.exe; Nothing
setup.exe; Nothing
done.com; Displays splash screen of a complete installation exits to DOS instantly
go.com; Black screen; DOSBox title bar switches between geoscape and tactical
noway.com; Displays splash screen of a installation "You need to specify the DRIVE and DIRECTORY [...]"
welcome.com; Displays splash screen of a installation "Please wait. Initialising ...." exits immediatly to DOS
cdsetup.bat; Sound config
full.bat; Black screen; DOSBox title bar switches between geoscape and tactical
install.bat ; Displays splash screen of a complete installation waits for keypress to return to DOS
small.bat; Black screen; DOSBox title bar switches between geoscape and tactical only much, much faster
ufocd.bat; Nothing

install c:\xcom actually does create a folder called xcom with the proper folders but only cdsetup.bat, dos4gw.exe, intro.exe, setup.exe, ufoc.d and ufocd.bat all of which do nothing.
zepl is offline                         Send a private message to zepl
Old 01-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #2588

Hello there!
I have a question. I'm trying to play x-com CE with the bugfix loader (the one that looks like a yellow sun). Everything's fine, except that the screen is tiny. I bet the game's running at a greater resolution than it's designed for. So my question is: is there a way around this?

Technical: Intel Dual Core 3.0 GHz, Radeon X1600 256MB.

Played the game on DOSBox, but the emulator slows my PC just TOO much (even my internet connection times out ). Played the CE from the loader on my older computer, and now that I think of it, it ran well back then.
Older computer: AMD Athlon 1GHz, GeForce MX440 64MB.

Maybe it's a ATI incompatibility issue with the loader?

Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #2589
laiocfar
NOD Commander

i was just replaying the game without use PSI and i found myself without the alien commander to research the attack to Cydonia. During a base defend, i stunned an sectoid leader (first question, leader = commander), since i was using heavy firepower, fusion launchers, to kill the cyberdisks, i carried the stunned alien to inside the base and leave it in the alien contaiment facility guarded by 4 troopers with stunners.
second question, in the debriefing i saw the live alien captured and i am still looking for it to make the research. Where he was gone?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #2590
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

This probably won't help you at all but I once had a version where this was a bug in the research tree, I could capure new kinds/ranks of aliens and not get them in the research selection screen...