Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #571
Arendil

Sigh...

Creature called 'overspawn' does NOT exist in this game...megaspawn is a creature that destroys the city...

It only happens if you don't destroy a batleship quickly...then it can unleash a megaspawn on the city...sometimes...

Capturing aliens alive is simple...in fact the best weapon in the game is stun grenade...you just have to know how to use it... ...

Old 22-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #572
Desperate kiddo

I have the original version of this game,but I simply cannot get it running-no matter what I do,I just end with a blank screen and when I press any button,I get kicked out.I tried everything I could think of-reinstalling,running with WIN95 compatibility,running with no sound,in Dosbox,with VDMSound,but its still the same.
Any ideas what to do with this?

Old 23-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #573
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's at least odd.

Try copying the contents of your CD to the hard drive and running it from there. VDMSound should do the trick.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #574
Redwyvern

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arendil @ Aug 18 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]249512[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Sigh...

Creature called 'overspawn' does NOT exist in this game...megaspawn is a creature that destroys the city...

It only happens if you don't destroy a batleship quickly...then it can unleash a megaspawn on the city...sometimes...

Capturing aliens alive is simple...in fact the best weapon in the game is stun grenade...you just have to know how to use it... ...
[/b]
Wrong. The megaspawn is the large alien encountered on agent missions whilst the overspawn is the Godzilla-sized one which attacks the cityscape.

Old 27-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #575

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Desperate kiddo @ Aug 22 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]250328[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I have the original version of this game,but I simply cannot get it running-no matter what I do,I just end with a blank screen and when I press any button,I get kicked out.I tried everything I could think of-reinstalling,running with WIN95 compatibility,running with no sound,in Dosbox,with VDMSound,but its still the same.
Any ideas what to do with this?
[/b]

are you using a dual core/hyperthreading system? Have you tried setting processor affinity to a single core

(ctrlaltdel->right click on apoc.exe process->set affinity->uncheck one of the boxes)

Works with System Shock 2 at the least...but I'd bet dual cores force a lot of older programs to have a fit too.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #576
Roadkill
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redwyvern @ Aug 27 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]251274[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arendil @ Aug 18 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]249512[/snapback]
Quote:
Sigh...

[/b]
Wrong. The megaspawn is the large alien encountered on agent missions whilst the overspawn is the Godzilla-sized one which attacks the cityscape.
[/b][/quote]

thank you very much for clearing that up, there is indeed an overspawn and it wasnt just my imagination.

... also (quote) in fact the best weapon in the game is stun grenade...you just have to know how to use it... ...

hows your mind? :blink:
you have to be quite errrm.. ummm .. slow not to catch onto how to use stun grenades by the time you get to the levels where you go up against megaspawnes... and oh yes... OVERSPAWNES. :bleh:
Roadkill is offline                         Send a private message to Roadkill
Old 02-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #577
da_Russia

Hello, folks!
I have been enjoying this game back in 1997-98, and now I want some more action, but I'm facing real problems since I'm using Win XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU, USB mouse and a Creative SB X-FI soundcard.
I downloaded DOSBox and it solved some problems -- now I can at least install the game from my old CD and watch the intro movie (mouse is detected while installing, and sound is perfect as well), but I'm getting kicked back to the command prompt right after the intro ends.
Does anyone have any clue what else I can do to start playing? I will be very grateful!
I'm sorry if a similar issue has already been discussed - I tried, but couldn't find it in this thread.
da_Russia is offline                         Send a private message to da_Russia
Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #578
Gilgamesh[R3]

There is something i need to know about the download of X-com apoc on Abandonia. Maybe some of you eggheads know.

First up, This is the europe version of the game, am i right (The US version has some crappy Green pic on the main menu, the europe version is a Red BG with a large flaming X on it)

Second, does the download come with working music or Intro movie?

Third, is there less bugs and mess ups with this version than the "Limewire" version i got a few years back. (i use VDMSound and win95 Compatability mode, but after a bit either it quits the game with no errors when i go back from a mission to cityscape or i get a load of blue ms-dos text and locks-up my computer)

Kudos to whomever tells me what i need to know.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #579
Roadkill
Forum hobbit

there may be a full version out there on Limewire with music & sound... you will have to search for one with a .ISO filename (a disk image) then copy it to a cd with nero or make a disk image of it. It's well worth the trouble too, dont know how anyone can play this game without the ingame music, thats like eating a christmas dinner without the turkey.

Oh yeah

Da Russia - something simular happened to me in the past, try running the game in dosbox without sound or music (just for a test) if it works past the title screen then I reccomend using VDMSOUND and changing your sound settings to sound blaster 100% compatible... Also download something called Mouse2KV -search for it in google, the mouse wont work properly under VDMsound otherwise. Ive explained how to use them in conjunction a few messages up. Hope it helps.
Roadkill is offline                         Send a private message to Roadkill
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #580
da_Russia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadkill @ Sep 2 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]252446[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Da Russia - something simular happened to me in the past, try running the game in dosbox without sound or music (just for a test) if it works past the title screen then I reccomend using VDMSOUND and changing your sound settings to sound blaster 100% compatible... Also download something called Mouse2KV -search for it in google, the mouse wont work properly under VDMsound otherwise. Ive explained how to use them in conjunction a few messages up. Hope it helps.
[/b]
Thanx m8, used vdmsound and no cd utility -- now the games works fine. Oh, and btw, my mouse is alright even without the program you mentioned. It's just a lil' slower than in XP, but since I have a Logitech G7, I just increase it's resolution to 2K dpi and it's perfect.
da_Russia is offline                         Send a private message to da_Russia