Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #41
Mickey Bitsko

I'd never been a big fan of strategy games until Ages of Empires came along, particularly after the Conquerors expansion. You know the reviewer's cliche "Get this game and you'll lose your job, your girlfriend, etc?" For my part, with this game the cliche becomes almost to real! How can you not like a game wherein your carefully armed and trained elite troops can suddenly and without warning get eaten by a pride of lions?
Mickey Bitsko is offline                         Send a private message to Mickey Bitsko
Old 15-11-2004, 09:37 AM   #42
Wonder Duck

Hi girls and guys, I am new here, and also I like Liberace. :bye:

Ok anyway, to me, the greatest strategy game is Panzer General. I love WW2, and this game was so far ahead of the rest, it boggled my mind. It is not perfectly accurate by any means, but is so damn fun. I have the PC, Macintosh, PSX, and 3DO versions.

I have played the damn game thru so many times, i sometimes walk to work thinking about how to break thru the KV's in early scenarios.
I am happy that hundreds of modded scenarios and campaigns have been produced. I've installed and played them too.

Hey did I tell you I love Panzer General? :whistle:
Anyway I love the site and forum, and am happy to be here.
Wonder Duck is offline                         Send a private message to Wonder Duck
Old 15-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #43
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Bitsko@Nov 9 2004, 12:13 PM
I'd never been a big fan of strategy games until Ages of Empires came along, particularly after the Conquerors expansion. You know the reviewer's cliche "Get this game and you'll lose your job, your girlfriend, etc?" For my part, with this game the cliche becomes almost to real! How can you not like a game wherein your carefully armed and trained elite troops can suddenly and without warning get eaten by a pride of lions?
For me strategy started with Civilization, X-Com and Colonization, and all of them turns to be a turn based.

But I do enjoy a RTS from it's beginning with Dune2, C & C, AOE and similar. I would say that real time strategy is often more closed to Sims, where you are more observers, while in turn based strategy everything depends on your planning and actions.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 17-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #44
evilded
Super Freak

MOO, what more do i have to say?

Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing!
evilded is offline                         Send a private message to evilded
Old 17-11-2004, 06:51 AM   #45
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Anybody knows Allied General?
Not the best TBS, but a nice enough game - has a multiplayer option too!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #46
Mad_Dog

Yup i love strategy games but my favorite must be spcamo's spmbt and spww2.Both are based on the steel panthers engine (came out in 1996 i think)but have been updated and revised right upto a couple of months ago.The games are DOS based but run quite happily in winXP with vdmsound and Mousectl.The only system they dont run in is windows 2000 and for those with mx440 cards which dont have vesa support.
when i say that the games have been revised up till tthe present time i mean that the spcamo team have done wonders with the engine.There are now 15 levels or more of terrain(instead of 3 as in original SP and spwaw) many many new icons and weapons systems and terrain details as well as a brand new tile set of houses.They truely are great games and are and always will be free.In the spring of 2005 the team will be bringing out a windows version of their spmbt to the delight of all.You can find the download link below and by typing spcamo in google you will find the team's main site(which seems to be down atm so i cant link u to them)

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/index.htm
l
Mad_Dog is offline                         Send a private message to Mad_Dog
Old 17-11-2004, 07:17 AM   #47
Mad_Dog

Yes i have panzer general and allied general both of which i thought were superb in their day and still very good now though i have to admit that i havent played them in a while.I see that u can get hold of pacific general on HOTU.I only found this abondonware site the other day and have to admit that i think its the best site i have been to in regards of quality of games /download speeds and compatability with my XP system.I would like to thank the team and please keep up the good work k: .regards Mad_Dog
Mad_Dog is offline                         Send a private message to Mad_Dog
Old 17-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #48
Morrin
Underground

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Bitsko@Nov 9 2004, 05:13 PM
Age Of Empires 2 is still the one and the best LAN strategy game ever!
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 17-11-2004, 08:06 AM   #49
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Sorry, but it can't beat Starcraft (the original, without expantion) unpatched.
Old 17-11-2004, 08:54 AM   #50
Morrin
Underground

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Nov 17 2004, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but it can't beat Starcraft (the original, without expantion) unpatched.
It can. I didn't like starcraft. Actually it was very boring and repeating. Nothing new to warcraft.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin