Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #2261
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Mar 31 2006, 09:26 AM
If there are no objects providing cover where I need it, so that there's a position in my amorphous curtain which is exposed to more than 180 degrees of non-secured territory, I like to use HWPs there.

What if you loose your HWPs, do you have a backup plan.
There was a situation where I was on a mission in the desert. I took 2 HWPs, as I always do on missions with very little cover and one was destroyed from the word go and the other a short time later. Lucky for me my soldiers had hardly moved from the ship, so I got them back on board and aborted as I was not prepared to loose any of them. They all had good stats and previous missions behind them.
Do you think I could have done something in this situation instead of aborting.
Old 31-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #2262
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar+Mar 31 2006, 06:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (laiocfar @ Mar 31 2006, 06:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Open formations are usefull if all the men in the line can fire to an alien spoted just by one of them.[/b]

Yes I like to advance first with my most dispensable soldiers, it's cruel but that way it's them and not the experienced ones who get most exposed. And when I detect an alien I don't fire with the rookie if I don't have to, but with my expert marksmen at the rearguard. They can even try an aimed shot if they haven't moved and it seems advantageous.

<!--QuoteBegin-laiocfar
@Mar 31 2006, 06:05 AM
I secure zones by lefting proximity mines. There is a big difference of playstitles if u rush into building or just blow them. I like to enter[/quote]
We agree on that, I also like to clear buildings so that an alien doesn't go out after I've passed and attacks me from behind. I find difficult to secure open terrain with prox. 'nades, but it seems to me a good idea to leave them at the entrance of a building if you really don't want to enter, it's only that you'll have a hard time entering afterwards if you have to. And I like to clear areas in an orderly way, after all it's not important how much time you spend in ending the mission--except for terror attacks. And in terror attacks you shouldn't leave proxies at the entrance of unexplored buildings, a civ could get out and step on his death!
Old 31-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #2263
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by Hypersniper@Mar 31 2006, 11:20 AM
What if you loose your HWPs, do you have a backup plan.
There was a situation where I was on a mission in the desert. [...]
Do you think I could have done something in this situation instead of aborting.
Well, one's got to work with what one's got at hand. If I lose my HWPs and really want to go on with the mission, maybe some of my soldiers will be more exposed. They should always be kneeled down. But of course you can always abort the mission. You can play either cautious or reckless, but if you were fixed by such heavy enemy fire even before getting out the transport, and you didn't want to lose your experienced soldiers, then I guess you did the right thing.
Old 31-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #2264
s0n!x

i have a problem... my game exits when it is on the ground mission... what shall i do??? :crazy:

Old 31-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #2265
s0nix

and also when i try to save my game there is no data and cause when i load it... back to the beginning. somebody help me!!! and where can i get te dos version? :crazy:

Old 01-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #2266
evan3849

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hypersniper@Mar 31 2006, 10:22 AM

Did you download the game from this web site. If you did use the ufo.exe and not the ufo defence.exe. the ufo.exe is the fix for the speed problem.
If you did not then download it.
Yes, I downloaded the game from this site, and yes, I think its still running a little too fast. Plus, the game isnt maximized right, some top part is cut off. TFTD, on the other hand, has been working perfectly for me. It still plays well like the old days. As for XCOM3, if the mouse isnt so choppy, I might even consider finishing it.
evan3849 is offline                         Send a private message to evan3849
Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #2267
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by evan3849@Mar 31 2006, 02:47 PM
Hi,
I am having some problem playing this game. Its running way too fast, and I cant slow it down. And I cant get it to work with DOSBox, because the game says it doesnt work in DOS mode. So, what do I do?

Please Help! :help:

Evan
Down load the dos version and try that in DOSBox.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #2268
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Apr 1 2006, 02:44 AM
Well, one's got to work with what one's got at hand. If I lose my HWPs and really want to go on with the mission, maybe some of my soldiers will be more exposed. They should always be kneeled down. But of course you can always abort the mission. You can play either cautious or reckless, but if you were fixed by such heavy enemy fire even before getting out the transport, and you didn't want to lose your experienced soldiers, then I guess you did the right thing.
I think I will take a mix of seasoned and unseasoned soldiers for these types of missions. I don't like to play reckless and I don't like to be forced to give up so easily. I can live with loosing tanks and rookies.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #2269
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

I just wanna say that after reading these posts my personal stratergy has so greatly improved that my men now cover each other and on terror missions the highest number of casualtys are never higher than 2.

It just shows that all the advice was excellent :monkey dance:

Tip:when arming my men at bigining of missions i give them all but 1st two of my men in left hands proximity grenades and prime it at the start...
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #2270
Ferretus

UFO is fab. Looking forward to being able to play it again.

One problem though, despite having the original CD rom I cant get dosbox to run it! So I thought OK then I'll do what every other numpty out there does and Download it. Still no joy :-(

It will do one of 2 things. Either lock up, or start with scrambled graphics and then lock up. Suggestions?