Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-03-2006, 04:11 AM   #2251
Japo
Autonomous human

That's what I said, psi defence (strength) cannot be trained. :bannana: That's why I create a team with the psi-strongest for missions against Sectoids and Ethereals.

My strategy is not a line formation, I said "curtain". Rigid formations are of no use in modern warfare, so the same happens in this game. What I do is advance the first soldier towards a safe position (actually I start with the HWPs); then advance the second towards a second position, etc. Each soldier's position is decided independently of the others' positions, BUT in a way that no alien is able to trespass the flexible curtain unnoticed and appear in the secured zone.

When there are buildings on the city or countryside or rooms, lifts, etc. in an alien base no problem. I dispatch a small taskforce of two or more soldiers to explore the building; and the whole combing goes on outside and inside.

The distribution of soldiers never resembles a line even remotely, and in a city it will be very different from the one in the desert.

Saludos amigo
Old 30-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #2252
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Mar 30 2006, 04:11 PM

What I do is advance the first soldier towards a safe position (actually I start with the HWPs); then advance the second towards a second position, etc.
I,m not sure if there is a safe position. Troops are always in the line of fire from one direction or another. What I do is also move move my HWP(s) out first (actually I've got no choice) and scan as much of the area as I can for a couple of turns. If it spots an alien I will throw a smoke grenade out at the base of the ramp.Then I will slowly move my troops out in pairs. I keep them in pairs to cover each others backs (but not placed to close together, don't want an alien getting lucky). My HWP is always first to move each turn so I can asses the layout of the land then I will move my troops as per the situation. I have no formation as a whole for my troops, I move them as I see fit. I throw smoke granades into any buildings as this is the last place I will search for the aliens. My next objective is to find the entrance of the UFO, if I have'nt found it already. Then I will use one of my paired team which have got the best reactions of them all to cover the door from a reasonable distance. When I am happy there is no more aliens on the outside I will bring my attention to the ship and clear it out. If the mission deos not end after that, then there is only the buildings left. I do not take this for granted though in case some aliens have moved outside in the meantime. This is where I use the heavy cannon the most and fire some HE through the entrance and windows then i will go in if I really have to.
Old 30-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #2253
simple player

Hi,
I have been searching the forum, but got no answer about the UFO exiting to windows when I send a party to intercept a crashed UFO, I have tried it in 98 (on a different computer) and under another computer with a win2k OS, still I get exited to windows everytime I go to a crashed UFO site. Im guessing its a soundcard problem, and not a "some programs running in the background" theory.

Old 30-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #2254
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's a bug in the Windows version of the game, IIRC.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #2255
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by Hypersniper@Mar 30 2006, 11:21 AM
I,m not sure if there is a safe position. [...] What I do is also move my HWP(s) out first (actually I've got no choice) [...]
Of course, no position is really safe, but I'm sure you also try to expose your soldiers as little as possible. For instance, if I'm going to cross a street but my soldier doesn't have enough TUs that turn to get to the next corner, the I wait until the next turn. I'm not going to leave a soldier in the middle of the street.

I also position HWPs in the vanguard, I already mentioned it, and this is favoured by the fact that they have plenty of TUs. (It's true that at the beginning you've got no choice, because they're always at the entrance of the transport ship, but I'm sure that the game is designed that way on purpose, for convenience.) And when I need a unit at a very exposed position, especially in the countryside, then I use HWPs; they're sturdier than soldiers, and a new one costs money, but you don't loose skills trained throughout years.

I think both our strategies are somewhat similar, we both move our units as we "see fit" without using a specific formation, but there are some differences. I'm not so cautious, although that's because I'm not so patient. Besides, I like to comb the area as I've explained. This way I know that there's a secured area from where I'm not going to be shot, and so my soldiers are looking the other way and can detect the enemy and get opportunity shots with better lkelihood and in greater amount. If there are no objects providing cover where I need it, so that there's a position in my amorphous curtain which is exposed to more than 180 degrees of non-secured territory, I like to use HWPs there.

But of course, strategies are very personal, and you seem quite seasoned at playing this... k:
Old 31-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #2256
evan3849

Question

Hi,
I am having some problem playing this game. Its running way too fast, and I cant slow it down. And I cant get it to work with DOSBox, because the game says it doesnt work in DOS mode. So, what do I do?

Please Help! :help:

Evan
evan3849 is offline                         Send a private message to evan3849
Old 31-03-2006, 06:05 AM   #2257
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Take it easy , is turn based i finished the game twice before i could know the real spped of the game.

HWPs and flying HWPs can end a mission alone. Open formations are usefull if all the mens in the line can fire to an alien spoted just by one of them. I dont like to deploy all my people if is not a line as above, so never used the "curtain", i secure zones by lefting proximity mines. There is a big difference of playstitles if u rush into building or just blow them. I like to enter, sometimes using grenades but do little damage in city warfare. Its stupid cuz the civilians always end dead, if i am on a rinforest, i lauch as many explosives as i can and use HE ammo; but in a city i check building by building and only if i see two or more of them in a house y torch it. I dont know why. And when going out of skyranger, always use smoke and set a secure are near to the sky. After that i start moving.
Old 31-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #2258
evan3849

You have mis-understood my problem...
I know its a turn-based game, because I have played it before. But I said its too fast now, its because the timer now runs like crazy even at the lowest speed (5 secs). :eeeeeh: And the Globe over-spin whenever I tried to click on the buttons. :ranting: The TFTD runs fine under DOS, with DOSBox set at 10000 cycles, and I cant see why XCOM1 has to run under Windows, or... where do I get the DOS version?

Help, please?

Evan
evan3849 is offline                         Send a private message to evan3849
Old 31-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #2259
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Mar 31 2006, 06:05 AM
HWPs and flying HWPs can end a mission alone.
I doubt that, you couldn't enter most ufos and rooms within ufos with HWPs.
Of course you can crack them open with blaster bombs, but it's far from ideal...
Old 31-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #2260
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by evan3849@Mar 31 2006, 06:53 PM
You have mis-understood my problem...
I know its a turn-based game, because I have played it before. But I said its too fast now, its because the timer now runs like crazy even at the lowest speed (5 secs). :eeeeeh: And the Globe over-spin whenever I tried to click on the buttons. :ranting: The TFTD runs fine under DOS, with DOSBox set at 10000 cycles, and I cant see why XCOM1 has to run under Windows, or... where do I get the DOS version?

Help, please?

Evan
Did you download the game from this web site. If you did use the ufo.exe and not the ufo defence.exe. the ufo.exe is the fix for the speed problem.
If you did not then download it.