Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #2051
IHateSeph
Forum hobbit

After scoping through this thread, it seems only the guests have bug problems. Maybe an Abandonia account would fix the problem. :P
IHateSeph is offline                         Send a private message to IHateSeph
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #2052
blue123
Abandonia nerd

The first few times you play it, it will crash quite a bit. it happened to me. But now I've been playing for ages, and there's hardly any crashes.

And for people who have just started playing, you're going to be killed in September if you haven't got any armour. or lasers.
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #2053
Oldblue153

yup its incredibly buggy...BUT despite that its STILL got a massive following and is still played by people more than 10 years after it was created...whats that tell you about the game?

Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #2054
Oldblue153

Quote:
Originally posted by blue123@Jan 2 2006, 12:35 PM
I've noticed that you don't get attacked if you'vre only got one base.
Nuh - Uh Grasshopper.

They will attack even with 1 base...ive been attacked in the very first month.

Ive even lost my only base to an attack cause all my soldiers were on the Skyranger returning from a successful mission when they attacked my base...GAME OVER

Old 12-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #2055
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Jan 11 2006, 07:23 PM
3) Build base defenses: 1 gravity shield (by the way, is the effect of gravity shields cumulative?) and 1 of all defense types. Later in the game, replace 1 missile defense (too weak to be effective once you've got more potent weapons) by a second fusion defense.
This combination costs a LOT, but it keeps your base safe from ethereals and other vermin. Maybe they still have up to 10% of getting through, but I doubt it's even that high.
I believe grav-shields are cumulative in effect, however in effective to construct one grav-shield, also initially you shouldn't require missile defences, it is a waste of money and space, a missile defence barely scratches an enemy, fusion defences are the best and only defences you need and mind-shields are pretty useless but make good insurance for your Research/Manufacturing bases.

Two Fusion defences and a gravshield is all you really need, to show why no more gravshields are required il give you an example.

Example 1: Base has 1 Fusion Defence and 1 Gravshield, effectivly 2 fusion defences, convert that fusion defence to a gravshield and you get no defence silly.
Example 2: Base has 3 Fusion Defences and 1 Gravshield, effectivly 6 fusion defences, convert a fusion to a gravshield and you get 2 fusion defences, effectivly 6 still though just with higher maintanence and cost.
Example 3: Base has 2 Fusion Defences and 1 Gravshield, effectivly 4 fusion defences, build another gravshield and get effectivly 6 fusion defences, however simply build another fusion defence for cheaper instead and get 6 effectivly with one grav-shield.

Now this shows how it can be effective

Example 4: Base has 3 fusion and a grav, effectivly 6, build another fusion instead, 4 fusion effectivly 8 defence, build another grav instead and get 3 fusion defences effectivly 9.

Example 4 show how multiple gravshields are effective, however when you have 3 fusion defences and a gravshield, you really don't need anymore defences, so in conclusion, only one gravshield is needed per base as well as 2 or 3 fusion defences for an optimum defence depending on price and reliability respectivly(for 2 or 3 defences that is).

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #2056
*Happy*

Grav-shields are not cumulative - just tried it. Otherwise, I agree 2 or 3 fusion defences are more than enough. It's not worth building any defences weaker than plasma.

You CAN get attacked if you have 1 base and it CAN happen in the first month of the game. I remeber I once captured a Sectoid Commander in the first month that way!

P.S. Are Battleships the only ships that can attack your base? In X-com 2 I've been attacked by both Dreadnoughts and Battleship (in X-com 2 the battleship is equivalent to the terror ship from x-com 1).

Old 12-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #2057
phyxius
Lurker

Hi. I just found this site. UFO: Enemy Unknown was the first game I ever bought for my computer. I played it for months till finally the floppy discs it was loaded on became corrupt. I was really looking forward to playing it again but everytime I click to start a mission the game quits to the desktop. Also I cannot seem to save my game. The save game window comes up like normal but when I try to load a saved game, it is not there. I have read through a lot of the pages in the forum looking for an answer but there are a bunch of posts. If someone could save me a lot of time and just reply to this post I would be much obliged. AdThanksvance.

-phyxius
phyxius is offline                         Send a private message to phyxius
Old 13-01-2006, 02:36 AM   #2058
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Yes, ius true that is too buggy but still is a top rated game, cuz its different game, there aren´t many more like this.
The Motion scanners are very usefull in base defence but unluckly i don´t got a single of it in the last base that i lost to ethereals and sectopods. I was asking about do or die attack or ambush in bases defence and i found that u reposnd me that i shoul got 3 fusion def and the grav shield. I DON´T GET THEM AND THEY ARE ALREADY INSIDE. Anyway, the base is lost.

Phyxius, i don´t know why your game doesn´t work but check the version of this site. Its good to me. About why it doesn´t save correctly, i got the same problem long ago and i fopund that the files were protected by win. U know, when u right click the file, u find that it is only read mode active. :bleh:
Old 13-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #2059

Ahh! I really really want to play this game, but I can't even start it up!
I extract the files to the folder, and there are 2 files there: UFO,
and UFO - Defense. (Along with all the other files that are in the zip folder)
I click on either of them, and it goes into a DOS screen like it's about to play the game, but then just automatically exits.

I'm running Windows 98. Is that a problem?

And is everyone using DOSbox to run this game? Because DOSBox was a little complicated for me to set up..no, thats not true, I'm just lazy.
Would using DOSbox to run it help at all?

Sorry guys, my first post on your magnificent forums, and its a beg for help.

Old 13-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #2060
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Defense is generally just a waste of money and building space. If the aliens start attacking, they keep coming until they eventually get through. It's much more effective to just fight them and get $3,000,000 in equipment instead of having to watch your defenses fire off every other day.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach