Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-12-2005, 04:56 PM   #1971
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by bahman+Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bahman @ Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bahman@Dec 15 2005, 04:34 PM
Can anyone open the zip file provided in this thread? Or it could post the good file in a post if this file is corrupted! That is a great patch!

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4469
Why nobayd answer this post. THe patch is great. It resovle many problems, including frequent crashes, automodate many things, etc. Please help. [/b][/quote]
Personally I can't open it. So it seems it's an error due to the file itself. I've never had that file (in a good version) so I'm afraid I can't help you with that.
Old 19-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #1972
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Once I downloaded it and it worked fine for me. I just deleted the game directroy plus the zip file for technical reasons but I had problem with the zip file since then. I was wondering if anybody else has a copy of the zip file.
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 20-12-2005, 01:22 AM   #1973
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Tips Tips Tips
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)DON'T use Ligthning
A:Ligthning takes lots of elerium(I think even more than avenger)

2)Natual Selection
A:Um he down-he down, if he won't fail this time-he will fail next one

3)Use weak psies as a cannonfodder!
A:Um - or they die or the half of squad after he get's Mind Controled

4)Save TU
A:Many guys loose guys because they forget to save TU's - they don't
have enough to kill the alien!

5)HE+rookie= :evil:
A:Yep-when rookie down HE go boom and alien... ...well that's one less corpse

6)Kill weak ones
A:We don't need them aren't we

7)NEVER stun or Mind Control civilian
A:They turn evil...

8)Fly away from cryssalis using flying armor
A:Brains no more!

9)Shoot terror enemy's by lasers
A:Best guns of all!

10)Reapers are weak
A:rookie+rifle+auto shot+reaper=owned alien carnivore

11)DON'T double wield :guns:
A:Go play apocalipsys if you wanna duel wield!

12)Blast sectopods from the back
A:If not... :help:

I shall give more! :Titan:
Old 20-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #1974
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bahman+Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bahman @ Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bahman@Dec 15 2005, 04:34 PM
Can anyone open the zip file provided in this thread? Or it could post the good file in a post if this file is corrupted! That is a great patch!

Why nobayd answer this post. THe patch is great. It resovle many problems, including frequent crashes, automodate many things, etc. Please help. [/b][/quote]
The zip file works fine for me. Also I would recommend making a backup of the original UFO exe before putting the patch, since the patch can create bugs of its own (read further down the thread)
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 20-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #1975
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by gufu1992@Dec 20 2005, 02:22 AM
Tips Tips Tips
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)Natual Selection
A:Um he down-he down, if he won't fail this time-he will fail next one

3)Use weak psies as a cannonfodder!
A:Um - or they die or the half of squad after he get's Mind Controled

5)HE+rookie= :evil:
A:Yep-when rookie down HE go boom and alien... ...well that's one less corpse

6)Kill weak ones
A:We don't need them aren't we

Generally speaking, casualties cause morale loss. The safest way to deal with psi-weaklings is to sack them from XCOM. Troopers with armed grenades only mean that unconscious troopers become dead troopers. Short of editting the soldier file, the only way to increase a trooper's resistance to damage is to survive a hit (why it can be worth the wait and salary to retain an injured trooper).

The other reasons for not carrying armed grenades is that the aliens do not always shoot from point blank range and your troopers are not always alone when they go down.

Double wielding of pistols can actually be useful if neither weapon has a lot of shots left, as you do not have to reload. Otherwise, it is better for a heavy weapons trooper to keep a pistol holstered on his belt if a situation arises where the alien is too close for the area effect round.

Characteristics only improve if they get used. TU's go up if the trooper goes out on missions. Accuracy goes up if the trooper hits what he is aiming for. Energy goes up if you run around. Reaction go up if the trooper reacts to an enemy by shooting (this means that slow troopers stay that way, but fast troopers get really fast). Strength goes up if the trooper carries heavy stuff.

About sectopods, I never noticed that they were all that tough, but I tended to stick with laser rifles as my weapon of choice.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 20-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #1976
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by SupSuper+Dec 20 2005, 12:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SupSuper @ Dec 20 2005, 12:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by bahman@Dec 19 2005, 05:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bahman
Quote:
@Dec 15 2005, 04:34 PM

Why nobayd answer this post. THe patch is great. It resovle many problems, including frequent crashes, automodate many things, etc. Please help.
The zip file works fine for me. Also I would recommend making a backup of the original UFO exe before putting the patch, since the patch can create bugs of its own (read further down the thread) [/b][/quote]
Oh good, can you please unzip the file and put the unzip file or zipped one (with other software or just zip it again) somewhere in the forume I can download. You can either e-mail it.
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 20-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #1977
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Dec 20 2005, 03:50 PM
1) The safest way to deal with psi-weaklings is to sack them from XCOM... Short of editting the soldier file, the only way to increase a trooper's resistance to damage is to survive a hit (why it can be worth the wait and salary to retain an injured trooper).

2) The other reasons for not carrying armed grenades is that the aliens do not always shoot from point blank range and your troopers are not always alone when they go down.

3) Double wielding of pistols can actually be useful if neither weapon has a lot of shots left, as you do not have to reload...

4) About sectopods, I never noticed that they were all that tough, but I tended to stick with laser rifles as my weapon of choice.
1) True! I think it's quite unfortunate that you have to send them to training first before you know who's a psi-weakling and who's not (correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember I only saw the psi stats after I gave them psi training). A month can be quite long in UFO...

2) The only times when I would let any soldier carry live grenades is either when there are crysalids around (and I haven't got access to flying suites) - not that this would be enough to kill the creature, but maybe your soldier would die instead of turning into a zombie - or in very limited cases when entering a ufo. But you're absolutely right that it happens very rarely that an alien shoots from point blank range.

3) I'd never opt for double wielding, especially because it decreases your firing accuracy. I either go for laser, or use heavy plasmas and I hardly run out of 35 shots, even if I use a lot of auto shots.

4) Probably because you use laser weapons. Sectopods are heavily armoured but relatively vulnerable to laser.
Old 21-12-2005, 06:26 AM   #1978
laiocfar
NOD Commander

The sectopods are the robots that help the etherals???
If yes, only well done squads can fight them, its a top combination... i only hope don´t found them at cydonia
Old 21-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #1979
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Dec 20 2005, 06:20 PM
1) True! I think it's quite unfortunate that you have to send them to training first before you know who's a psi-weakling and who's not (correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember I only saw the psi stats after I gave them psi training). A month can be quite long in UFO...
Yup that's right. so what you want is your psi lab build a day or two before end of month then you save. and then you get guys into training. then you speed up the time and skipš all missions for one month. then after a month you will see how strong they are in psi. repeat if you have more soldiers.
you can then decide to kick the ones with weak PSI. although i usually didnt' kick them but use them in second base where they helped the rookies start (basically they were like support on attacking smaller vessels). or i used them as the ones that carry light with them. they get out of my ship and then start throwing chemical light arround.
i usually leave them unarmed or put the weapon on their back or waist. they will only use stuff they have in their hands if they get under alien control.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 21-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #1980
*Happy*

Two things:

1. Sectopods are the Ethereal's robots
2. Soldiers under alien control WILL take out a weapon or grenade if unarmed. However, they will not pick up any items from the ground. I'm not sure if they can reload weapons.