Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-12-2005, 04:03 PM   #61
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Your absolutely right heh, you get into more situations than you could think possible. Graphics would actually HINDER the game. First time I died, I felt lucky and put on a ring. I ended up wearing a ring of polymorph, turned into a fly creature, and got crushed under my weight. Second time I wore too much, and fell down the stairs and died, Third time, I managed to get my hands on a scroll of genocide. Well, I wanted to gnocide those damned dwaves, but it ended up being a "cursed" scroll of genocide, and I ended up summoning 6-7 dwarved right in front of me.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 13-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #62
omg
Games Master

what drove me a little crazy last night, had finally managed to level up my healer to the point where he could do stone to flesh. thougt brilliant no more starving.. found a pile of rocks, but buy the time i had found the rocks i was fainting from hunger and couldent cast the spell.... and that was after walking down a corridoor hearin someone saying "off with there heads" got to a room filled with some rather large nastys , luckily i was only pursued by a couple of them that i managed to scalpel up good, but starved anyway...
who would have thought i would get hooked to a game in which i starve to death all the time ...
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 13-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #63
Greymouse

Hey, thanks for the Vulture's eye tip - It runs better then Falcon's Eye, and hasn't crashed my system yet

Mouse
Greymouse is offline                         Send a private message to Greymouse
Old 13-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #64
omg
Games Master

if you see a were rat run.. (or if you are a mage shoot the s.o.B) although once u turn into a were rat you can summon a horde of rats that will muller evrything in your path, but when u change u will have to drop evrything, and eating kind of becomes impossible.

damn im hooked on this game ...
Old 13-12-2005, 11:43 PM   #65

Remember prayer. The gods have filled my starving adventurers' stomachs more than everything else they're capable of. Other useful things are healing (usually only when you're almost dead) and, curse removal and curing of lycanthropy.

Wererats have always been a minor pain to me. The werejackals are far more annoying, and if you're infected by a werewolf you can just forget trying to salvage your cloak or armor.

Old 14-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #66
Greymouse

I really haven't had an issue with lycanthropy, but more often then not, potions and such get me killed. Anyone know a good way to get stuff identified fairly easy, besides getting lucky and finding identify scrolls?

Mouse
Greymouse is offline                         Send a private message to Greymouse
Old 14-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #67

Throwing a ring into a sink gives some indication of what it is, but it generally loses the ring, too. ("The sink looks nothing like a faucet," for instance, would mean a ring of protection from shape changers.)

Potions are trickier, but you can throw one at an enemy and observe the effects.

Scrolls you pretty much have to read and hope, but you can get some idea by dropping them in a shop and seeing what offer you get. Identify scrolls aren't quite the cheapest out there, but they're close.

Zap wands at random enemies. You might help them, or turn them into something well-nigh-impossible, but you're far more likely to blast them.

There are a couple classes of item with few enough individual types that you can figure out what they are on your own. If you use a whistle and produce a high-pitched sound, name that kind of whistle tin and any that aren't listed as 'called tin' will be magic whistles that teleport your pet or other tame allies to your side. If you find a bag, it's either a sack (useless), an oilskin sack (also useless, as near as I can tell), a bag of tricks or a bag of holding. If a monster pops out when you use it, it's the bag of tricks-useful for sacrificing a lot of corpses to your god, if you find a shrine. If not, put something heavy in. If your carry weight doesn't go down, call it a sack and pitch it.

Finally, you can tell whether something is cursed by whether or not your pet doesn't want to walk over it or by dropping it on an altar. There are plenty of scrolls and potions that are dangerous even if blessed, the lodestone has a curse that activates as soon as you pick it up (so you should still be wary of gems), and some items (like the dunce cap, which looks like a wizard's cap when un-IDed) become cursed when worn, so you're never totally safe unless you've fulled IDed an item.

Old 14-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #68

Oh, yes... one more thing about naming items. If you name an individual item instead of that type of item, it can turn it into a relic. The two examples I can think of right offhand are elven daggers named Sting and elven longswords named Orcrist. This is a nice way to get a quick bonus, but every named weapon in existence makes it harder to find another. So if your valk already has gauntlets of strength, it may be a better idea to wait for Mjolnir to be bestowed upon you instead.

Old 14-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #69
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Also, if I remember correctly, name an elven dagger Grimtooth, it's also an enchanted relic.

On another note, if you name an elven dagger Sting or Grimtooth, and it ends up being misspelled (e.g. Gremtooth) then the weapon ISNT an artifact. It goes misspelled on purpose, not a glitch or anything.

Edit: Sorry, that's orcish dagger can be named Grimtooth. It has to be called orcish, even though orcish daggers are crude daggers.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 15-12-2005, 03:20 AM   #70
omg
Games Master

LOL if you get a chance to name a spell book dont name it necronomicon. you will go blind and get attacked by shreiking things. altho i was using a lawfull monk so i guess it could be different if you are chaotic