Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #81
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Hostages look like a sleeping women in blue kimono. You can pick them up with Enter button(The selector button).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #82
KNesHere

I've beening encountering a problem and I was wondering if anyone else had.
I'm running the game in DosBox on an XP; When my Daimyo dies and I am highest ranking it won't allow me to do anything. It shows the screen saying he died in battle and asking who can replace him, and whenf I hit enter nothing happens. THe music plays for a while then stops. My daimyo died once when I was to low to try for his position and it worked fine.

Old 16-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #83
Aubor

Quote:
Originally posted by Roddent@Nov 11 2004, 07:00 PM
Finally finished the game :Titan: :w00t: Thanks for all your help
I cut through all my rivals like a No Dachi ??? :blink:
One more thing, in the scroll of honor it said I only get 100 years of Shogun. The guy in first place got 300 years. How do I get more years? LOL
You get more years by upping the difficulty level from the easiest. Ensuring all statistics of your Diamyo are maxed makes the ratings maxed. But there is a cap on years determined by what difficulty setting you use. (going on memory from 10+ years ago)

I used to own this game years upon years ago. Cannot tell you how many hours I put into it. This game is timeless masterpiece that transcends technology. Its truly an example of how you don't need to have pretty eye candy to have a great game. I'm suprised someone hasn't scooped up the rights and wrote an updated version of it. The concept is solid and still has yet to be duplicated.

Question: I looked this game up just last night at the underdogs and it said it was supposedly property of the devil worshipping heathen cult of nazis who protect software rights for games. :not_ok: Would sure hate for anyone to get into trouble over it. I already downloaded it. Could not hit the button fast enough. So if it turns out to be "protected", too late. I GOT MY COPY!!!!!! :w00t:

As a side note, this was one of the only games I wasn't able to back up in the old days. It had some funky asci code on the disk which just wouldn't copy over onto a fresh floppy. Something like "I (heart character) Samurai!". Could not back this game up. So when the floppies went bad, I was up the creek. :angry:

I would like to extend my personal "Thank you" for all who made things like this possible. Cannot adaquately express my glee at discovering, just recently, how I can once again play fantastic games that are no longer in "print" for lack of a better word. I have since spent the last week playing old classics like "Master of Magic", "Fantasy Empires", Ghengis Khan, and now this title. I know it's not just one person who made this happen but a literal legion from the ones who crack the disks, research the rights, set up web pages to host them, ect. ect. ect.

So if your part of the big picture in making this happen, my personal thank you goes to you.

Old 18-08-2005, 04:37 AM   #84
Takagawa

After a month of playing this game (I took a few breaks in between :whistle: ) I've come across three specific circumstances that haven't been covered in this forum.

1. ONCE, recently I noticed a rival daimyo being praised for having defeated a group of bandits and instead of having EXTREME HONOR he had UNSURPASSED HONOR. He of course had all eight honor slots full. After seeing that I tried to attain that coveted title of "unsurpassed" honor by neglecting everything else besides gaining honor well after having filled all eight honor slots - alas, to no avail. Then again I only noticed it once, but I made sure I wasn't dreaming. This may be important to the fellow(s) interested in attaining the 3530pt 300yr shogunate. Perhaps that's the secret link.

2. If a group of ikko-ikki or samurai from the neighboring province come to attack your fief, you automatically rush back home eagerly to defend your own fief and you can't leave home until you take care of your business. UNLESS your lord dies and you happen to be the favorite and you are promoted before actually facing the enemy group, THEN you don't ever actually face them. BUT the notice on your menu about your fief being under attack by a tiny/small/moderate/large/very large group of attackers never disappears and there's nothing you can do about it (unless maybe you're attacked again, but that hasn't happened and I think the glitch prevents it from happening). I guess they're always at your old farm waiting for you .

3. I'm not sure of the specs on this since it only happened a couple times and I wasn't really paying attention to the cause/solution but I think that when you offer to help a fellow hatamoto defend his fief by offering your own army as aid and he INTENSELY DISLIKES YOU he doesn't let you help him. But the program then forgets to let you go home or maybe it wasn't written in in the first place. So you're stuck there, getting notices about everyone else doing their thing like 20-30 notices in a row (as opposed to the average 2 or 3 notices about your rivals between regular moves). I think I was finally able to play again bc the guy left on a campaign or something. I don't know if you age during this glitch either but you might so you might get stuck long enough to die off and if you don't have an heir that might be disappointing.

TIPS - For beginners the easiest/richest province is the OUCHI clan province located in the western portion of the main island (I think it's always yellow when choosing your home province in the beginning). Ouchi province has 7/8 honor and 7/8 land. And if you're really bright you'll choose generalship as your family advantage so you'll be stacked for field battle right from the start (making it easy to gain land for doing army jobs for your lord) as well as having great or commendable honor.

- If there is no army job available and you want land to increase your troop numbers you can always pay a visit with your army to the neighboring rival province and waste them :evil: . Your lord will always give your something even if only a tiny addition to your fief for your troubles. Plus you're very likely to run into honor enhancing opportunities on such a long walk. So there's no excuse to stagnate.

- I've found it pointless to incite an enemy's peasants to rebellion unless you intend to attack him with your army first thing the next morning because the first thing he's going to do is just replace the troops he lost during the rebellion. Maybe that's why it's the easiest thing to do since all you have to do is go up the village and waste that one tax collector whose always dressed in bright yellow, everyone else is collateral damage. It's much more permanent to screw up his honor or take a hostage and show up the next day and ask for ransom. :bye:

- Finally, if some bastard manages to take YOUR son hostage, do yourself a favor and refrain from going over there with your army to tear up the place. Instead go by yourself in the dead of night and steal back your son or assassinate that punk (if he's home). If you attack with your army he'll KILL YOUR SON and if you don't have a backup son you'll need to be getting freaky with your wife asap before she gets old or you're put on disability.

Old 22-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #85
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Takagawa@Aug 18 2005, 06:37 AM
(...)
TIPS - For beginners the easiest/richest province is the OUCHI clan province located in the western portion of the main island (I think it's always yellow when choosing your home province in the beginning). Ouchi province has 7/8 honor and 7/8 land. And if you're really bright you'll choose generalship as your family advantage so you'll be stacked for field battle right from the start (making it easy to gain land for doing army jobs for your lord) as well as having great or commendable honor. *
(...)
Just looked for it, and might want to make that Suwo province, clan Ouchi (you'll have a hard time looking for it otherwise)

Edit: I'm quite stumped... I'm a daimyo at the moment, and I get messages from matchmakers, but... I can't figure out how to act upon them. I currently have no heir, which could be a bit of a problem.

Edit: Oooh, figured it out. Got to travel to another province for that, which one's mentioned somewhere in that text (Yeah, I know, but when you're Daimyo, you get alot of messages that're rather unimportant, so you skim over them and read the parts of interest)

During melee combats (the RPG-type), inside a castle, avoid staying in one room with only one exit for too long. If the pile of bodies at the door's big enough, the other enemies'll conclude out of there to wait on either side of the door, making it quite hard to break through. You're lucky if there's a door on the exact opposide side that has some other doors attached to its room. Otherwise, you're quite dead. So: avoid trapping yourself in a room and piling up the dead at the only door.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 24-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #86
Goodguy

only prob with this game is that it keeps Locking up whenever someone dies..

rival samurai:tries to rescue a priest, dies, game freezes at the screen that tells you they are dead.

:help: :help: :help:

Old 24-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #87
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Aristharus

The first time (on every run of the game) it locks up for a while the first time it uses a fade-effect on a picture. It does it on the intro (if you look it to the end) and every time someone dies. You'll just have to wait the first time, it can take minutes, but after the wait, the game works well and doesn't lock up anymore.
Old 25-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #88
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

I love taking personal command over the directions of the troops, the AI has this horrible problem with not seeing you charge them from the upper side and rear.

I noticed they get a little better at it though as you go on the higher levels.

Anyone got battle tips?
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 26-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #89

im playing right now, and i just got unsurpassed honor ^^

Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #90
Tanaka

Wow, great game, 'been playin't for some days. Behold The Golden Era of Videogames! All praise Sid Meier, and also Jeff Bridges, and the whole Microprose gang. Valhal awaits them.

I guess nobody's reading this (quite hot) thread anymore, but I'll just record here something which may be of interest, about the scores. First post of mine ever, anyway. Here's my latest score:

SHOGUN OF ALL JAPAN
You are a Shogun of unsurpassed honor :angel:
You have vast land holdings in 48 provinces
You are a General of unsurpassed ability
You command 12700 warriors
Your fomer rivals command 0 warriors
You have an adult heir
You cut through all resistance like a Katana
Shogun points: 3,400

I got a 200-year shogunate, so nothing new there, but I'm not sure whether anybody had got a score over 3,000. Anyhow, my theory is that the only single thing that prevented me from getting 300 years might have been the difficulty level (not the highest). This game is pretty easy (too easy) in all its aspects except in melee encounters (boy do I hate pikemen). I haven't ever managed to clear a castle (three-storey) in no-dachi, nope. Heck, even petty swordsmen parry many of your attacks in that level. I'll keep trying, anyway. I guess my spirit is not one with the Oneness yet. :crazy: