Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #1581
geron
Forum hobbit

I LOVE UFO !!

geron is offline                         Send a private message to geron
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #1582
Ethanerial

One has to ask oneself, when there are games like Rome Total war, Doom 3 etc around , with awsome graphics, massive maps, and massively multiplayer capabillityies. Why we are going back to play old dos games?
You think maybe that game developers somewhere along the line lost thier sense of fun?
Clever graphics will never beat truly great game play.
Xcom is definatley in the same league as my other favourite game of all time StarCraft/Broodwar, talk about value for money and longevity. I have now been playing SC for 6 years straight. Whereas Rome only lasted a couple of weeks (those that have the game know its short comings), Doom was completed and never touched again in a couple of days (swapped it for Warcraft compendium).
Your thoughts please!
Ethanerial is offline                         Send a private message to Ethanerial
Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1583
Ethanerial

WE ALL LOVE UFO
Ethanerial is offline                         Send a private message to Ethanerial
Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #1584
Toxik
Game Wizzard

I dont think its about creators of the game,there are surely at least some of them that want to make good things.Its about the people who get money for producers,cause they want the x-th copy of AoE/Doom/Dune/Whatever to make money.When is something primary about making money is usualy stops being amusing
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #1585
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

We're going a little off-topic here, but my opinion is that they focus too much on technicalities like graphics, sounds, engines and so on, and not enough about the game itself and its background, the storyline,...
Old 12-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #1586
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Urmm I thought that Rome : Total War was close to perfect... the only problem is that if you´re not the Romans there´s very little structure to the game, plus the Selucids are just beardy.

Anyway, the reason I play this game is because it´s incredibly addictive and can be finished in a single day (although you have to try quite hard)...

By the way, here´s a tip if you´re willing to sacrifice a few Rookies -

If you have just stunned an alien you REALLY NEED like a Sectoid Commander from a base or whatever, then here´s a useful way to get them out, with a few casualties.

If you´re willing to take a couple of turns about it, then everyone can be saved, but to be honest, with psychic aliens then it´s not worth the risk.

Well, I´m sure you´ve all noticed that stunned aliens can be picked up, but have you also realised that you can throw them?

What you need to do is to ´chain´ your throws so that your soldiers throw, for example, an Etherial to each other. If you create a chain that leads right back to your transport then you can easily make an Etherial travel the whole map in a single turn - very, very useful!

*edit* You can also knock out your own soldiers and throw them back to your transport, which is a lot faster than bothering to walk them - if you remember that knocked out soldiers stay alive at the end of a battle if you put them in your transport then you can very quickly evacuate your soldiers!
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 13-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #1587
zoloth

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Aug 12 2005, 10:08 AM

*edit* You can also knock out your own soldiers and throw them back to your transport, which is a lot faster than bothering to walk them - if you remember that knocked out soldiers stay alive at the end of a battle if you put them in your transport then you can very quickly evacuate your soldiers!
I do belive that stunned soldiers count as MIA.
zoloth is offline                         Send a private message to zoloth
Old 13-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #1588
Toxik
Game Wizzard

No they do not at least if you complete a mission,i think if you put them in transport then evacuate it should work
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 13-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #1589
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yep. Very useful. Even if you just run away, anything at all in your skyranger gets kept.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 16-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #1590

For all of you who get kicked back every time to Windows when you intercepted your first UFO and start your first mission.. It did the same for me when I downloaded the game on abandonia, when you download the same but patched game at http://www.the-underdogs.com, this bug is fixed (at least for me)

don't be too happy however, now i just got kicked back to windows, not before but AFTER the mission. maybe this was a one-timer, but i fear the worst. i'll keep on trying though.