Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #101
omg
Games Master

have you never heard of the national front? what about ukip ring any bells?
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 17-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #102
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Do you have any idea what nationalists and racist think?

As for those two, yes, do you know how much support they have? And all that support (which in case someone doesn't know, is not much...) of people doesn't mean that those exact people want what PS said.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 17-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #103
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Anyone up for Griffin as a new leader -

Remember what happened to that Dutch MP who was far-right. About 6 hours after he was elected he was shot.

I can't honestly say that the same won't happen soon with the way that Labour and the Conservatives are going.

And I tell you now that also a fair few parties would like nothing more than a war for resources, or a crusade. These attacks give them just that.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 17-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #104
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jul 17 2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone up for Griffin as a new leader -

Remember what happened to that Dutch MP who was far-right. About 6 hours after he was elected he was shot.

I can't honestly say that the same won't happen soon with the way that Labour and the Conservatives are going.

And I tell you now that also a fair few parties would like nothing more than a war for resources, or a crusade. These attacks give them just that.
You mean Pim Fortuyn, and he was assassinated two months after he was elected--not 6 hours. :blink: He said among things that he favored an end to all immigration from Islamic countries, and even went so far as to say that all immigration should be stopped, since the Netherlands had enough people. He was opposed to the clause in the Dutch constitution that forbids discrimination, and remarked that he considered Islamic culture "backward" and "hypocritical." Reading some of his articles, he comes across as a populist who used the immigration issue to get ahead, as opposed to a zealous xenophobe. For what that's worth.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 17-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #105
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

Here's more on Fortuyn coming from a Dutchman.

It wasn't so much what he wrote (he was a terrible writer) but the way in which he acted on camera. Fortuyn was on the one hand claiming that the other political parties were against him, the media included.

Some months after his assassination, it turned out that his 'being unfairly treated' by the media was largely made up by himself. It was just a way to create a hype around his person plus the more emotional people would think Fortuyn really was the underdog. There were a few open confrontations with the press that later turned out to be staged by Fortuyn.

But there was a more unpleasant side to him. He could act like any right-wing extremist when Islam was concerned. In fact, from what I've seen he was much worse than the extremists, because the extremist politicians try to look respectable (which has worked to an extent in Belgium). Fortuyn would lash out against muslim youth in front of the camera, saying it was an outrage that Dutch (read white) elderly women were being harassed and attacked by muslim youths. I guess he would have been OK with the fact if they were white christian youth instead of muslims.

He also liked to sneer: "Islam is a backward religion." And he used a much worse word: retarded.

Of course, he didn't deserve to die. But then I think nobody does.
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 18-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #106
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Actually, to be honest, I would say that anyone who makes sweeping statements/offensive comments about religions in particular (and not just "well that's all right, but") or indeed races should be at the very best exiled.

Extremist parties have no real place in this world apart from with right-wing nutjobs who want to keep what is theirs to themselves.

Sadly there are a fair few people like that.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 18-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #107
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hi, I heard this news in new York first from my brother who sent me a message on my cellphone (well, my dad's cellphone) saying "something is going on in London and my tube but i'm safe" we turned on the TV and got the shock of our life. You see my brother always took the targetted tube at Kings Cross Russel station (I think I mentioned my brother to some of you, he lives in Kings Cross) turns out he overslept, went to the tube when he saw it was filled with people and others were running up out of the tube.
If he wouldn't have overslept he would have been in the tube.

We're far from being a religious family but me and my parents went to pray on friday in a synagogue in Philadelphia.

Damn terrorists.
Old 18-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #108
mm_pie
Forum hobbit

Angry

Predjudice in general (not just racism), should be targeted by law far more than it is. I don't know how those people in Burnley can look at themselves in the mirror everyday, afterall, the majority voted for the BNP (British Nazi Party officialy known as the British National party). Up here in the north, things are just getting worse. Up here they seem to have a big thing about Jewish People???!!! Up here in the sociallist north, i am still shocked that George Galloway was not voted 4 MEP, those bloody american lies. But still, we linger on with New Labour...
mm_pie is offline                         Send a private message to mm_pie
Old 19-07-2005, 06:17 AM   #109
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yeah, Councillor Galloway should have been voted in.

And the Jews have always had a hard time here, I can't really see why Clifford's Tower is marketed as a tourist attraction when hundreds of Jews were killed inside it.

And to be honest if it was my country, I'd burn Burnley to the ground and salt the remaining earth there.
Old 19-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #110
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jul 19 2005, 07:17 AM
I can't really see why Clifford's Tower is marketed as a tourist attraction when hundreds of Jews were killed inside it.
Why shouldn't it be? nearly every castle in Europe has a bloody past. If mere persecution of for example jews in medieval times is a reason to discourage tourism, Spain would have to be blocked off.
And voting in Galloway would help the jews little, the man is worse than Livingstone .