Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-05-2005, 05:49 AM   #91
inotoni
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to inotoni Send a message via AIM to inotoni Send a message via MSN to inotoni Send a message via Yahoo to inotoni

Nothing u can do about graphic distortion. KQ5 just don't support multitasking.
I figured u used UHS Hint to get hints when needed right? Well how about getting a walkthrough and print it. It's only about 2 pages I think. I'm sure u can resist the temptation of reading unneeded hints. That way u don't have to switch windows again.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #92
mom2mcs

I've managed to get into Mordack's castle and I even figured out I needed his wand, but now every time I try and do the power transfer to Crispins' wand I get an error message "Out of heap space" Any ideas how to fix this, I'd love to finish the game, I've really enjoyed this one
mom2mcs is offline                         Send a private message to mom2mcs
Old 09-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #93
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Frankly I've never faced this 'out of heap' problem in KQ 5 as I play the CD version, although sometimes I do get this message in other Sierra games (floppy ones). It is usually solved by either slowing down the PC speed, or while using the DOS Prompt by starting the exe. command rather than com. or bat. files! Do use DOSBOX?

I am sure you're using cheese to transfer powers from M's wand? k:
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #94
mom2mcs

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Dad@May 9 2005, 03:13 PM
It is usually solved by either slowing down the PC speed, or while using the DOS Prompt by starting the exe. command rather than com. or bat. files! Do use DOSBOX?

I am sure you're using cheese to transfer powers from M's wand? k:
I don't use DosBox, frankly I've never been able to figure it out :blink:
How do you slow down the PC speed? Do you mean game speed? Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep working on it. And yes, I am using the cheese k:
Karen
mom2mcs is offline                         Send a private message to mom2mcs
Old 10-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #95
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

There are a number of application which slow down the PC speed, I use Turbo which I found to be the best. Google search and you'll find it then download it, it's free.

I don't use DosBox either I prefer MS-DOS.

Happy gaming dear Karen! If you need any other tip don't hesitate to ask k:

Regards,

Shamim.
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 11-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #96
Johnny Astro
Lurker

Don't know much about computers, at least I'm not familiar with running these old DOS games on Windows, but KQ5 is the first game I ever played, and I'd LOVE to play it again.

With that said, I've downloaded it, unzipped it, and run both the SIERRA application, and the KQ5 application, and in both instances, it gets to the "sierra presents" screen, and then freezes.

I've run the SETUP application, and it says that my current display driver is not supported by this game...

Anyways, I'm not comfortable with changing things that I can potentially mess up my computer, so if anyone's seen this, or knows how to make the game work, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again, in advance.
Johnny Astro is offline                         Send a private message to Johnny Astro
Old 11-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #97
inotoni
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to inotoni Send a message via AIM to inotoni Send a message via MSN to inotoni Send a message via Yahoo to inotoni

[quote] I've managed to get into Mordack's castle and I even figured out I needed his wand, but now every time I try and do the power transfer to Crispins' wand I get an error message "Out of heap space"

I got that too on my first time on my WinXP. Restoring again and setting the game options with lowest details and fastest speed got rid of that. BUT THEN, what I got was I'm able to take repowered Crispin's wand BUT unable to use it against the flying bug/Mordack - as if the object wasn't there.

Maybe u can try using slowing processor program - I don't know. In my last resort I used a savegame provided by Sierra Planet site at:
http://www.sierraplanet.com/kingsquest5/technical.html
It is labeled: KING'S QUEST 5 PATCH 1
The readme file says it's ending savegame for DOS version but actually it can also be used for Windows version. Cheer up, for all its bugs and nosy 8-bit sounds, KQ5 was well the effort ur time!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #98
M

If abandonia wont let me download the Kings Quest Series where on earth can I get the versions of it for Dosbox?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #99

I've noticed that sometimes the site will list a game as being protected and thus cannot be downloaded, but one game that I've downloaded was initially available but now it seems to be blocked...

is there a window or a rule I'm not aware of? can someone help me out? I'd like to get the Kings Quest games myself as well as some others it wont let me...can someone help out?

Old 11-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #100
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

As of today the ESA forbade us to offer it for download. If you want the game you'll either have to buy it or ask Sierra to allow Abandonia to put it up again. Remember to be polite about it.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG