Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Offers (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Volunteer for writing reviews! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=30730)

Japo 13-06-2013 05:42 PM

Volunteer for writing reviews!

So you want to write for Abandonia? Thank you in advance! Reviews are the most difficult material to get when we want to add games.

Please remember that plagiarism is not allowed: no parts of your text may be copied from other reviews, articles or websites, including Wikipedia. The whole text must be originally yours!

Look at the next post for a list of particular games that need reviews more or less urgently. If you don't like any of those, there are many more possibilities; keep reading here.

Whatever the reason why you want to review a game for Abandonia, there are two other things you need: first and foremost the game must be approved as abandoned; and we'll need the game itself. If a game that you want to review is approved and you don't have it, we might have an archive in our stash, or we can try to find it. If we consider a game approved, any source is acceptable to get an archive from.

How do you know if a game is approved? The requests board. Use the forum search function to find titles. If the title's in the approved requests child board, it can be added (and we don't have it yet); so you might want to shop around there, if you want to write a review but don't have a particular title in mind. If it's in the"on site" board, the game's already on Abandonia; if it's on the "rejected" or "invalid" boards, it can't be added; if it's on the mother requests board, we're still working on determining its status, but if the last post is old feel free to post to ask again. If we don't have the title at all yet, either in the requests boards or on the website itself, post a new thread over there to ask if it can be approved (one thread per game, the title must be that of the game literally). Consider that Abandonia deals with games at least 10 years old, although this isn't the only requirement (you can read about all our rules in the sticky post of the board).

It's also possible that you arrived here through a link from a particular game. In case of lack of reviews, we may publish games without them, and these will be stamped with a banner in place of the missing review text, linking here. Here's where you can tell us that you'd like to provide a good review for that game :)

We appreciate your support! :OK:

Japo 13-06-2013 05:44 PM

Games needing review

The following games would need someone to write reviews of them. Thanks in advance!

- The Abbey of Crime

Japo 13-06-2013 05:46 PM

Reservations

The following games already have reviews in the process of being written, as promised on the indicated date by the indicated user.

:thanks:

(no reservations currently)

dynomutt 14-06-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 453586)
The following games would need someone to write reviews of them. Thanks in advance! "Staff picks" are in boldface.

:onsite:

Chuck Yeagers Air Combat
Warcraft II

I'll do a review of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. I LOVED that game back in the 90s ....

Japo 14-06-2013 11:44 AM

Thanks much! :) Let me know via PM when it's finished, and I'll publish it right away.

RogueMule 17-06-2013 12:38 AM

Warcraft II Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 453586)
The following games would need someone to write reviews of them. Thanks in advance! "Staff picks" are in boldface.

:onsite:

Warcraft II

I'd love to do a review for Warcraft II, I have been playing the series from start to finish and feel I could do it justice.

Japo 17-06-2013 08:33 PM

Thanks! :) Same procedure.

I knew it wouldn't be long until someone picked this one. We'll continue publishing games that need reviews from our HUGE backlog, so stay tuned.

ThelastAmerican 22-06-2013 05:05 PM

I would love to write reviews

Where can I sign up?

Smiling Spectre 22-06-2013 08:35 PM

Me still waiting for my Elite 2 review to appear. ;)

Japo 22-06-2013 10:36 PM

Thanks Dynomutt, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat already has its review now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelastAmerican (Post 453860)
Where can I sign up?

I have edited the first post to give some information on how to find games to review. Our requests board is the place to go. :) I'm sure there are many games to choose from, that we also have archives of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 453864)

And complaining is what you had to do, ;) because I had no idea. You're next in line then (not this weekend probably).

Deuce Traveler 10-07-2013 10:30 PM

Just sent you a Pool of Radiance review so you can get the game up. If you like it, I am quite willing to do the other Gold Box games you lack on the site, as I've played them all within the last half year.

I found the request here: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...light=radiance

arete 17-07-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler (Post 454481)
Just sent you a Pool of Radiance review so you can get the game up. If you like it, I am quite willing to do the other Gold Box games you lack on the site, as I've played them all within the last half year.

I found the request here: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...light=radiance

A 'Merickan, judging from the wanton cruelty to the common double "L" :P

Also, would you like to help out in Grammar? As long as you don't change English Usage to Incorrect USA-iain {Die. Yuppie. SCUMM} then I will not be required to destroy you with my long-nines. Wch have sapient pearwood gun-carriages, as they follow me from ship to ship :p

Japo 17-07-2013 06:02 PM

Thanks again Traveler! :)

Japo 17-07-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 453864)

I can't find it in the FTP :(

Japo 29-07-2013 05:28 PM

Warcraft II is again up for grabs for anyone to review, since we didn't hear back from the last volunteer.

Capo 30-07-2013 03:29 PM

I have a review of Mission Critical if you want

Japo 30-07-2013 06:07 PM

This one?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/mission-critical
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...light=critical

Awesome :OK: Do you have the archive? Are screenshots included?

Capo 31-07-2013 04:02 PM

No screen actually, i can bring them from youtube in case.
If is ok i start translating it in english

Japo 31-07-2013 04:23 PM

But did you use the review elsewhere? Because we can only accept original material exclusive to Abandonia :-/

marko river 31-07-2013 09:09 PM

Not quite true. If user wants to use it elsewhere, he is free to do so. It's just that user can't decide later that abandonia can't use the user's review anymore after it is already submitted and someone else can't just take review from abanodnia because it is submitted by some user anyway.

Japo 31-07-2013 09:42 PM

I thought it was a rule, although I don't feel strongly about it. I can go with what you say.

Capo 01-08-2013 04:43 PM

Only posted on a forum in italian, so no problems about it.

Japo 01-08-2013 05:22 PM

Let's do it.

The video snaps can do if quality isn't too bad. The least lossy way is to download the video file and take JPGs with the media player itself. If you can't do it you can link us to the YouTube.

Grazie!

yoga 04-08-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 455408)
Let's do it.

The video snaps can do if quality isn't too bad. The least lossy way is to download the video file and take JPGs with the media player itself. If you can't do it you can link us to the YouTube.

Grazie!

:hihihi:
Many like Italian Lang, even brave.
So post it in Italian.
Grazie, amigos!
:3:

OFF
What names, Mama mia..
C(apo)
J(apo)
Paco
Same matrix used?
ha ha ha

No intention to hurt any of above hidalgos..

Elpenor 11-08-2013 03:15 AM

I can review Warcraft II if it is still available.

Japo 11-08-2013 03:28 PM

It is, thanks! I've made a note of your reservation, let me know via PM when you're finished.

Japo 29-08-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 455216)
I have a review of Mission Critical if you want

Received, thanks Capo

StaaViinsZ 01-09-2013 05:57 PM

Hello There

I am a bit of a newcomer, but I'm willing to do lots of things to help. I already have posts to (Maybe) join the grammar squad and to also help out with the magazine. If you can give me a full list of Non-reviewed games, via StaaViinsZ http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...psdba84cca.png Yahoo dot-com, or here on Abandonia Forums, I can definitely look into reviewing some.

Even a list of 5 would be fine, if it's not too much to ask... if you actually have that many un-reviewed games. I don't know. Anything to help out!

Japo 01-09-2013 06:46 PM

Hi StaaViinsZ, you can pick a game in a minute by following the instructions on the first post. Any title on the approved requests board is good (although we'd need an archive if we don't have it already).

The reason why we don't have such a list is that it would be too long and impossible to keep up to date. And this way you can pick the first game you see, or you can choose one that you like, however you prefer.

Capo 02-09-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 456592)
Received, thanks Capo

Still waiting to see it actually posted, i hope it was not a waste of time

Japo 02-09-2013 07:56 PM

OK OK most people have waited much longer in the past (regretfully). I waited months for my first one, but it won't come to that; if it's not up in one month feel free to nag at us again. For now ask Marko :whistling:

marko river 03-09-2013 09:59 AM

It will be up soon, don't worry about that.

Japo 17-09-2013 09:20 PM

The Abbey of Crime

This is a special game that we'd like to add to Abandonia, and we only need a review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Abad%C3%ADa_del_Crimen
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/la-abada-del-crimen
http://www.reloaded.org/download/Abbey-Crime/425/

It's a very original adventure from 1987 based on the novel The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Arguably the best and most famous game from the Spanish golden era of videogames. There's a freeware version with better graphics and sound, and translated to several languages including English.

Capo 21-10-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 456692)
It will be up soon, don't worry about that.

:lame:

marko river 21-10-2013 10:48 PM

I didn't forget, although I didn't touched anything for 2 weeks. I'm not putting anything else cause I know I said it will be up. Anyway, I had some problems with ripped version of the game, Smiling Sceptre provided it and guided me to get it working. Should be fine now, but didn't have time today to test it.

Please do post some more info on the game, like your rating and some similar games perhaps.

Capo 22-10-2013 03:43 PM

4/5

Death Gate/Albion/
B.A.T./
B.A.T. II - The Koshan Conspiracy/Project Nomad

marko river 22-10-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 457785)
4/5

Death Gate/Albion/
B.A.T./
B.A.T. II - The Koshan Conspiracy/Project Nomad

:OK: I would actually put Alien Odyssey or something... thx for tips :)

twillight 28-12-2014 07:51 AM

Games waiting for reviews

Arnhem
Battles of Napoleon
Berlin 1984
CivNet
Conquest of Japan
Dark Convergence II
Dreadnoughts
Galleons of glory - the secret voyage of Magellan
Jazz Jackrabbit
Links - the challenge of golf
Manic Miner
Mindshadow
No Greater Glory - the american civil war
Panzer battles
The Dark Convergence

Mystvan 06-07-2017 02:12 PM

Rome: Pathway to Power / Rome: AD 92

I offer to write the review of the game Rome: Pathway to Power (released as Rome: AD 92 in Europe).

I wrote the review of the game, but it is still being refined and polished to make it more acceptable to Abandonia review standard.

As soon as I complete the review, I will submit it via PM to Emperor Japo(deis) :king:, Space God (Celestial) from Holland(e) :ufoalien: and Grand marko River :1stplace:.

Japo 10-07-2017 05:47 PM

Thanks for the review, it's quite good! Marko and I are taking care, if it takes too long you can PM us again.

It also looks like a cool historical game that I didn't know, I'll make sure to try it.

Mystvan 10-07-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 468142)
Thanks for the review, it's quite good! Marko and I are taking care, if it takes too long you can PM us again.

It also looks like a cool historical game that I didn't know, I'll make sure to try it.

Dear Japo.

I am glad you liked the review of the game. To be honest, I used the Wikipedia article and the summary in MobyGames to merge with my words and knowledge about the game in question.

This game is one of those that do not deserve to be forgotten in the Abandonware museum records.

Japo 11-07-2017 02:47 PM

Ohhh... that is a problem. It is not allow to plagiarize reviews from other sources. I thought this was clear.

Comparing to Mobygame and Wikipedia I see some things are copied, and I also see some original content that could be used. Do you think you can rewrite a fully original review?

Mystvan 11-07-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 468155)
Ohhh... that is a problem. It is not allow to plagiarize reviews from other sources. I thought this was clear.

Comparing to Mobygame and Wikipedia I see some things are copied, and I also see some original content that could be used. Do you think you can rewrite a fully original review?

No problems, dear Japo.

I can rewrite the review, but as we (I and the authors of the texts) will be based on the Roman period and its characteristics, it is quite possible that there are similarities in the texts. :dunno:

I honestly did not know that there would be a restriction on copying text snippets, since I had considered them very good to describe (it is like marking texts and key words). :palm: :picard:

As I am busy at the moment, as soon as I can, I will rewrite the text and send it via PM to you and marko river. :PM:

See you later.

marko river 12-07-2017 12:06 PM

Oh, I didn't notice this.

Yeah, please do not use exact sopies of the text snippest, we are pretty much against that.

If the new rewritten text is going to be similar to the first one, it is OK. It is understandable that you want to say the same thing, but just it shouldn't be exact wording as other source. So just try saying it in your own way, that's cool.

And once again, thank you for contributing :)

Mystvan 12-07-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko river (Post 468181)
Oh, I didn't notice this.

Yeah, please do not use exact sopies of the text snippest, we are pretty much against that.

If the new rewritten text is going to be similar to the first one, it is OK. It is understandable that you want to say the same thing, but just it shouldn't be exact wording as other source. So just try saying it in your own way, that's cool.

And once again, thank you for contributing :)

Thankfully I mentioned the sources of my review to Japo, if it could not be hard to re-edit the text after it was uploaded on the main site.

I suppose the game will be available for download, right?

I am willing to write more game reviews that I know and enjoy. Unfortunately I believe GOG.com has these games available on online store.

Mystvan 13-07-2017 01:30 AM

A new review.

Dear Japo and marko river.

I sent a private message to you saying that I rewrote the review. I hope it is acceptable to you.

Any problem with the review, please contact me.

Myst

Japo 13-07-2017 04:46 PM

Thanks, we are editing it. But some plagiarized parts you've just rephrased further but kept them. However I think we can do something with the many original parts you did contribute into the text.

In the future if you want to contribute reviews, please write always original content. You may consult other websites to find out facts e.g. what year the game was released; but never take any sentences from them, no matter how much you rephrase them!

Mystvan 14-07-2017 12:36 AM

Pulling Poke-man’s ears

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 468204)
Thanks, we are editing it. But some plagiarized parts you've just rephrased further but kept them. However I think we can do something with the many original parts you did contribute into the text.

In the future if you want to contribute reviews, please write always original content. You may consult other websites to find out facts e.g. what year the game was released; but never take any sentences from them, no matter how much you rephrase them!

My great apologies, O great Imperial Majesty, Japo(deis) :king:. Maybe Poke-man :poke2: misunderstood the words (like a big river) of the Grand marko River :1stplace:. Poke-man :poke2: now understands the contents of the Imperial edict :rules:.

Pulling Poke-man’s ears

Mystvan 24-07-2017 03:02 AM

Capo, Japo, Paco and (H)yoga...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryebrewls (Post 464709)
Hello Japo, Hello Capo... Where's Dot?

Get it? haha

yeah...

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 455592)
:hihihi:
Many like Italian Lang, even brave.
So post it in Italian.
Grazie, amigos!

OFF
What names, Mama mia..
C(apo)
J(apo)
Paco
Same matrix used?
ha ha ha

No intention to hurt any of above hidalgos..

Wow! I thought I was the only Abandonian who likes puns, jokes and nonsense expressions. :omg: :o

Please do not tease the Emperor Japo(deis) :king: otherwise he will be in (S)pain. As for Capo, he may scold you digitally, pulling your ears. :ouch:

Dear yoga :zen:, to calm your enthusiasm, nothing better than practicing (H)yoga... :OK: :hihihi:

Frodo 06-09-2017 05:43 AM

Gruntz got approved a few days ago, so I made review for it. :OK:

I also have the game archive - 270 MB. :smile2:

Who do I send it all to? :mhh:

Japo 07-09-2017 06:46 PM

Got it! Thanks Frodo. We'll put it on the to-do list :p
If you don't see action soon enough, do poke...

LianneJW1912 11-09-2017 09:00 PM

Anyone interested in writing some reviews for AT? :P You can't blame me for trying ;)

Andy Reed 02-11-2017 11:13 AM

Great topic on this forum. I generally like writing reviews about everything new: about new films, about the release of new albums of favorite singers, about the books I read, and of course, the games are no exception.
I believe that there is no more significant science than history. The only history reveals to us a huge world of events, instructive stories, legendary personalities, and destinies. History does not stand still, with each passing day it becomes wider, richer.
And now to the point. XD
Arnhem is an excellent historical game, in which I fully get used to the role. The atmosphere is really thought out to the smallest detail, which creates the impression of a complete reality :OK:. It is in this game that I like to play alone. The only thing I do not like is that the combat units occupy a square 2 × 2. Too little territory is obtained.
I also want to say a few words about the Battles of Napoleon. The most surprising thing about it is that you can choose the terrain by yourself, choose the types of troops, and edit weapons. But the graphics are not so good.
About games, I can write endlessly ... :max:
I have two favorite things to do - to play games or write scientific articles.

Hillimhere1 02-11-2017 11:34 AM

I like Mindshadow because the detective story simultaneously intersects with the fantastic. and in general, it is very interesting!

Japo 02-11-2017 06:18 PM

Hi guys welcome. :-) This kind of short forum reviews are welome, although they belong over in the Gaming Zone. You're always welcome to create threads or post on existing ones about your favorite games.

This thread here is specifically to volunteer to write reviews to be published officially on the main website, for games we don't yet have (and are approved -- search for the title on this board and refer to these rules).

If we already have the game, or it can't be approved, or it's not for PC, you should think about writing for the magazine. You can post here and get in contact with Lianne like she says.

And again if you don't feel like writing a proper, full length review right now, you're welcome to post over at the Gaming Zone.

Thanks and make yourself at home...

The current time is 06:54 AM (GMT)