PDA

View Full Version : Name Of An Old Rpg Game...

c45207
08-08-2005, 04:47 AM
I am trying to remember the name of an old RPG/adventure game. I can only remember a few details:
You had to move using the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys. If Num Lock wasn't on, it wouldn't work. (or vice versa)
There were these annoying dragon things in the water.
There was a weapon that would kill the dragon things easily. It had "sun" in its name, maybe. To level-up, you went to an altar in a castle.
To the north in the game land there were some caves, with, if memory serves me, robots.
To help to robots, you got radioactive material for them.
The land was green and lush.
The graphics were primitive, but still VGA (probably)
The sound was PC speaker based.
The game operates on a grid.
Not turn based really; more like timer-based.

Sorry the details are so random...

The game also had a sequal. Some information about it: In this one, you had a rival. He wore a black cape. He would sometimes give you hints.
The land was arid.
Eating certian plants would change your stats.
Same controls, same graphics.
The game opened with the implications that a simulation on a computer had gone wrong.

xenphn
08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Sounds like Might and Magic 4 Clouds of Xeen and MM5 Dark side of Xeen.

Borodin
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
No, not MM4/5. They were turn-based, didn't have uber-dragon-killing weapons, sound was via AdLib and SoundBlaster, and you leveled up without going anywhere.

efthimios
08-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Is it a 3D game, a top perspective or what?

xenphn
08-08-2005, 04:28 PM
I think in MM4/5 you had to go to trainers to level special abilitites.
With the sound you are right it was more than just beeep!
And MM has some robots and the bad guy has a black coat. Alamar if I remember it right!?
And it had a special turn-based movement type!

c45207
08-08-2005, 07:26 PM
No, not MM4/5. They were turn-based, didn't have uber-dragon-killing weapons, sound was via AdLib and SoundBlaster, and you leveled up without going anywhere.

Yeah... It wasn't MM. And in the game I remember, you are on your own as a player; you don't have a party are anything.

Is it a 3D game, a top perspective or what?

Top down. Not 3D. Not isometric.

Thanks to all who replied so far: you've been able to jog some more from my memory.
The graphics were actually simpler than VGA, but not ASCII.
I remember getting the games from a BBS or AOL before the Internet was huge.
I think that games were programmed by one person, not a team.
It did more that beep at you, but not much. It could play scales.
In the sequel, you start of in a empty building that is just big enough to hold you. You must go south through the door to get out.

GraveDigger
08-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Seems like A Journey into Xanth or Companions of Xanth ?

c45207
08-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by GraveDigger@Aug 8 2005, 07:34 PM
Seems like A Journey into Xanth or Companions of Xanth ?
No, it was not text-based. It only had simple graphics, though.

a1s
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I have no idea what the game is, but i've noticed that most guesses are in the fantasy genre, while from your descripton i would guess it was sci-fi, whic one was it?

c45207
09-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by a1s@Aug 9 2005, 04:36 PM
I have no idea what the game is, but i've noticed that most guesses are in the fantasy genre, while from your descripton i would guess it was sci-fi, whic one was it?
Seeing as it had dragons and cyclopes and was set in a medieval time period (at least the first on was), I would say fantasy. With regard to the sequel, I am not sure about the computer thing; I never finished the game.

Now that I think about it some more, you weren't really a wizard: you were more like a champion fighter.

I do wish my brain would work properly...

Doc Adrian
09-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Sun swords, Sea Serpents, altars and castles sounds like one of the Ultimas...

I know one of the earlier ones had time travel and space but not entirely sure

Borodin
09-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Ultima III had space and time travel. But you didn't need to visit a castle to advance in level, robots weren't in the game, and it was turn-based, not timer-based.

TheChosen
10-08-2005, 11:30 AM
It could be Ultima II.....

Borodin
10-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Ultima II had used turn-based mode exclusively, and allowed you to level up anywhere. It's that timer-based thing which gets me.

TheChosen
11-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I was just guessing! I have never played Ultima II(Never had that change... :cry: )

Borodin
11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by TheChosen@Aug 11 2005, 09:26 AM
I was just guessing! I have never played Ultima II(Never had that change... :cry: )
It's not for me to say, but I think guesses aren't going to help c45207 find the game he/she wants. In any case, it's better to remove inaccurate guesses, than let 'em linger. ;) I just wish I could come up with a reasonable suggestion, based on my previous experience--but I can't.