Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-05-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
DavidtheGnome

The other day I went to go turn on my comp and it wouldnt start. I got kinda mad and pushed the on button 5 times really fast (like an idiot). Two seconds later there was a loud crack and smoke started coming out of the power supply. The noise scared the muck outta me LOL. Im wondering what could have been damaged. There was no smoke coming from the rest of the computer. I have already ordered a new power supply which is on its way. Now im just scared somthing else is damaged like the whole motherbroad or the hard drive is fried...Now I know not to trust standard case power supplies. What are the chances somthing else is wrong?
DavidtheGnome is offline                         Send a private message to DavidtheGnome
Old 03-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Probably not to much. If your computer wasn't running at the time the thing blew up, there's afaik little danger that any power surges messed up any of your mainboards components. Just try the new power supply (it will certainly cause no new damage).
This sort of thing can happen to older power supplies esspecially when they're used with newer hardware. It's just wear and tear of the thing. Luckily they're not that expensive
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 03-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

Good power supplies are expensive.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
chickenman
Hero Gamer

my power supply has caught fire twice and i still use it even though it's full of tape and a load of other junk :P
chickenman is offline                         Send a private message to chickenman
Old 03-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

If the computer was properly grounded, there should be no dmg at all.
If not, there is a slim chanse something might have been electrecuted.

The smoke is usualy when plasic melts around wires, so don't worry.
Just a short-out and some heat.

Had a mushroom-cloud prom my monitor once.. well... it didn't realy work after, but it was an impressive display.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I've replaced many power supplies at work and at home, but always on friends computer, never on my own computer.

Mostly reason for power supply to burn is dust, which helps heat accumulation. Very often same dust shuts down fans, again overheating the power supply.

If nothing melted, open it, replace fan, clean it, check the fuse and check if nothing burned. Then try it again.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 04-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
DavidtheGnome

thanks for all the replys guys. I dont think im gonna mess around with the old power supply especially cuz I dont know how to fix them, plus standard case power supplies suck. I had problems with it before it blew up and stopped working. Whenever I was playing BF 1942 it was run for 5 mins and my comp would turn off, for some reason I never thought it could be the power supply.. I actually was thinking it was my video card but that it running 100% fine. Turns out I needed a new one anyways and if all is not ok, this may have been a good thing hehe.
DavidtheGnome is offline                         Send a private message to DavidtheGnome
Old 04-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Not many people understand how important PSupply is to your comp. Mark my words. k:
Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 AM   #9
win98
In the loop on hardware.

My old compaq deskpro 2000 was stuffed so i was testing out some harddrives and cd-rom drives i got for $20 bucks i had it all pluged in and powerd it on it crakeld ant pwer pack and one of the hraddrives started smoking lots man it stunk
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 31-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Xinithaous
Abandonia nerd

LOL I recently have had two comps psu go My Main Pcs one went a Expensive one but no damage to the pc & a old PII i was fixing up it wrecked the mobo and mucked up one of the sticks of RAM.

Expensive PSUs are good and honest with the Wattage but cheap ones are obviously easyon the pocket. 5 rubbish ones or one good one?
Xinithaous is offline                         Send a private message to Xinithaous