Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
mattex
Wink

i cant play any dos games heres is my error:
when i goto load it by double clicking on the exe it says something about c:/windows/system32/autoexe.nt is not sutible for running MS-DOS and microsoft aplications...... can someone tell micosoft to put erros into plain english so i can fix it?

anyways can someone help me out here? :help:

Old 11-11-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Use DOSBox or VDMSound.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
mattex
Wink

were would i be able to get dosbox?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #4
Wink

its all right i found it ill try it now

Old 11-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This site will provide you a link for that program.

You will probably love that site, it's really usefull and it has a lot of abadonware games to download... And it also has a very good forum, the members there are always very helpfull and interesting to talk to. k:

Edit: seems like I posted this just after your second post... Oh well, a good laugh never killed anybody isn't?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Wink

how do i load a game with dos box the commands are very confusing :blink:

Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I beleive all the commands are well described in the helpfile.

If you really don't want to read the helpfile (altought I don't see why), you only need to know a few commands to get you started. First if you have any knowledge of DOS altogether, know that all the old basic commands such as cd and dir works in DOSBox.

First you will realise that you are on a strange disk labelled Z. That disk is emulated and is DOSBox default tree. It is not really important.

To get your game running you will need to "mount" the directory of your game into another drive emulated by DOSBox. For example I have my copy of Lemmings 2 - The Tribes on my real computer HD, located at c:\jeux\lemm2. To "mount" that game into DOSBox I would type (without the brackets) "mount c c:\jeux\lemm2" where c is the emulated drive I wish to "mount" the game folder to (could be anything from A to Y as long as I know) and c:\jeux\lemm2 is the directory where the game is located on my real HD.

After the game directory is successfully "mounted" on the emulated drive "C" (read above), you will need to move from drive "Z" to drive "C". To do this you use the old DOS commands. Simply type c: and you will get there. Once there you can use the DOS command DIR to look at all the files in that directory. If there is too much files and you can't see them all in a single screen, you can use DIR/W or DIR/P instead.

Once you are in the right directory (you should already be in the right directory if you did it well, but you might need to switch directory with the CD command) you only need to type the name of the starting file to get to the game. For example, I would need to type "L2-FIX.com" to play Lemmings 2. Note that you do not need to type the .com to do so, typing simply L2-FIX would be enough.

After you start your game use the CTRL-F11 and CTRL-F12 keys to slow or speed up the game as needed. You will need a big computer to emulate perfectly some of the new games and you should have no problems to run older games (like Lemmings 2) even with a slow computer. The perfect cycles (speed) for each game is very computer dependant and you should test a little with each game to get optimal speed.

Do not forget that you can go fullscreen with the ALT-Enter key.

I think that's pretty much it. k:
Old 11-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #8
mattex
Wink

i got it now with its intro file
i mounted my games as c then went c: dir
and typed in the game name
it was a long and annoying process but i got it :Brain:

i just have to type in the mount command every time.........

Old 11-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, that's what I do. Being used to using DOS in my early computer days I don't find it annoying at all, but I do understand your point. I think another program meant to run alongside with DOSBox exist. It would be called D-Fend but I have no clue about it. I don't use it and only heard from it briefly from other members of this forum.

They might be able to help you better than me on this matter when they log on latter on today.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Data
retired

Eagle of Fire is becomming quite a dosbox expert! I should becareful.

I'm glad to see that more experts rise from the depth of the ancient dos eara