Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Firstly, I've been away for ages because of computer problems that became a saga involving two computer techs, mucho money, some neighbours and eventually the police. :whistle: But it's good to be back here in my online home. :angel:

Once I got the computer back, I tried getting some Dos games from Abandonia up and running again. (Some nice new ones have been uploaded) However, I couldn't remember how to install the Dos drivers for the mouse. After a lot of mucking around and net research, I found the answers. Easy when you know how. I thought newbies to Dos games and/or Abandonia might also need help in this area, so I'm sharing the wealth.

Firstly, you need to download a mouse.exe or mouse.com program from a site that has them. Just google something like 'mouse dos drivers' and you'll be able to choose from many. Then you click on 'Start', 'run' and type 'sysedit'
This will bring up a heap of system files. In the autoexec.bat file you type something like: LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
('LH' means load into high memory, thereby freeing up conventional memory. The rest of the line is obviously just the address of your mouse drivers and the name of the file.)

During my net searches for the info, I came across a site that has a lot of easy to understand instructions about Dos system files, a dos driver for the mouse and a lot of technical stuff: http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

TTFN :bye:

wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 31-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Very good old DOS configuration turorial, from the Good Old Days site.
Old 29-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Draconis1982

Red face

CuteMouse is an excellent and very small footprint mouse driver for DOS

"CuteMouse is a DOS based, open source mouse driver, which supports many protocols of serial and PS/2 mice. It can search for a serial mouse at all COM ports or only at a specified port.
An important CuteMouse feature is its small memory footprint: the resident part (TSR) occupies less than 3.5K. CuteMouse can also install itself in upper memory, when available, without requiring external utilities such as the DOS 'lh' (loadhigh) command. "

it can be found at http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net

k:
Draconis1982 is offline                         Send a private message to Draconis1982