Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #31
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
P.S. Does anyone know the average monthly bandwidth usage of Abandonia, and how much it costs?
Don't know, not sure if Kosta does either now that Studentis owns the place. I'm pretty sure someone from Studentis could tell you, though.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #32
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

LTF - Abandonware France is a warez site, since it allows people to download non abandonware titles. It's even written plain in the menu: non abandonware.

I'm surprised you linked a warez site, but since it was in french you may just have overlooked it. My first language is french though, and it's quite visible from first glance...
Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
Adamg
That one guy.

Alright, here's the results. I'll just post my notes since they are pretty self explanatory.

MDK

original Zip - 85.76 MB
max. Zip in 7zip - 78 MB (Maximum Zip compression using 7Zip.)
maximum with Uharc - 62.9 MB
maximum with 7Zip - 61 MB (29% improvement over original)

decompression time original - 5 sec
decompression time max Zip - 17 sec
decompression time Uharc - 7 min 46 sec (memory required to decom. 22.6 MB)
decompression time 7Zip - 14 sec (memory required to decom. 66 MB)

Basically, it is possible to get a little more compression with Zip format. But 7Zip is considerably better, and doesn't take much longer to decompress either.

So, how does having both Zip and 7Zip archives available for download sound? It wouldn't reduce bandwidth as much as dumping Zip completely. But, it would still help, and questions/problems would be kept to a minimum. A help page could be put up telling people where to get 7Zip, ect. It would probably best to limit 7Zip archives to, say, 10+ MB downloads. Does that sound like something worthwhile? :wondering:

Last edited by Adamg; 05-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Adamg is offline                         Send a private message to Adamg
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #34
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg View Post
How does that sound?
[*irritant voice is here again*]

As some 100 topics a day:
What must I download? I don't understand all this stuff 'cause I'm compy n00b. Can you PLZ give me a beginners explanation? From A to Z in easy steps. KTHXBAI.

[/*irritant voice is here again*]

And check your UHarc facts again, you missed a lot it seems.(Especially how to run it in a comm window).

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 05-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #35
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
So, how does having both Zip and 7Zip archives available for download sound?
Quote:
The whole point here is: Even if we were to offer two downloads, one with .zip and another for 7zip... There would be a lot of computer knowledgable people who will be pleased to download the 7zip version. But 90%+ of the downloads, those made by people who don't know better, won't even bother to try to discover what 7zip is and will download the .zip version anyways.
If you really want your actions to have any kind of sense, talk to Kosta. He's the only one in this whole forum who can actually do something for you.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #36
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
[color=black]

MDK

original Zip - 85.76 MB
max. Zip in 7zip - 78 MB (Maximum Zip compression using 7Zip.)
maximum with Uharc - 62.9 MB
maximum with 7Zip - 61 MB (29% improvement over original)

decompression time original - 5 sec
decompression time max Zip - 17 sec
decompression time Uharc - 7 min 46 sec (memory required to decom. 22.6 MB)
decompression time 7Zip - 14 sec (memory required to decom. 66 MB)

[/font]
you know, the results may and will differ on what are you trying to pack
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #37
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
So, how does having both Zip and 7Zip archives available for download sound? It wouldn't reduce bandwidth as much as dumping Zip completely. But, it would still help, and questions/problems would be kept to a minimum. A help page could be put up telling people where to get 7Zip, ect. It would probably best to limit 7Zip archives to, say, 10+ MB downloads. Does that sound like something worthwhile? :wondering:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea of switching archive types was to lighten the bandwide usage... how does having double archives (in both format) help?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #38
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatianos View Post
Hopefully there will be a sort of a sister site that would deal with full disk images only (like ISOdonia or something)
Actually there is ALREADY a site Dedicated to abandoned ISO's. (games)

It's called ISO ART - Lost in Cyberspace and it's run by Gargantuan Orangutan.
And he 'happens' to be a (more like The) moderator in the ISO Cellar.

OK there is no dedicated bandwidth, So ISO Art has to use external hosts for it's ISO's.
As a matter of fact 90+% of the Cellar ISO Links are on ISO Art and Vice Versa.
So it's basically the same place. :cool:

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
Adamg
That one guy.

dosraider - "As some 100 topics a day:
What must I download? I don't understand all this stuff 'cause I'm compy n00b. Can you PLZ give me a beginners explanation? From A to Z in easy steps. KTHXBAI."

dosraider - "And check your UHarc facts again, you missed a lot it seems.(Especially how to run it in a comm window)."

To unzip a .7zip file, first you must download 7Zip. Open your internet browser, and go to http://www.7-zip.org. Once you are there, click on the "Download" link on the left side of the screen, it's three lines below "Home". If you can't figure that out, go to the appropriate link that follows for which operating system you are using. (Most likely you are using Windows if you don't know what your using.)

7zip for Windows download; http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z457.exe

Detailed instructions for downloading 7zip for other operating systems can be found at this page; http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Once 7zip is downloaded, start the program and follow the instructions to install it. After 7zip is installed, all you need to do is double-click on the archive you want to open with it. If you need further instructions, feel free to ask.

P.S. I grew up using DOS and Windows 3.1, I know what a window and command prompt is. I used the command prompt version of UHarc, using maximum compression, and it took precisely 7 min 46 sec to compress MDK. If I am missing something, feel free to share.

E.O.F. - "If you really want your actions to have any kind of sense, talk to Kosta. He's the only one in this whole forum who can actually do something for you."

Very well, I'll look-up Kosta and talk to him about it.

r.u.s.s. - "you know, the results may and will differ on what are you trying to pack"

Yes, of course. Different data will compress at different ratios.

Sebatianos - "Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea of switching archive types was to lighten the bandwide usage... how does having double archives (in both format) help?"

That's a good question. The archives are hosted on Abandonia, but the only difference would be that instead of having one choice, they could download a larger .zip archive or a smaller .7zip. The file would only be downloaded once (If the person was being responsible.), but if they downloaded the .7zip instead of the .zip, they would have saved Abandonia over 24 MB of bandwidth in the case of MDK.

Hopefully they wouldn't download both the .zip and the .7zip, since that would definately not help us any. But I don't see why they would do that, unless they couldn't figure out how to open one of them. But, hopefully they would download 7Zip first and figure out how to use it before they downloaded anything from here. I'll try to contact Kosta about all of this.

Last edited by Adamg; 05-02-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Adamg is offline                         Send a private message to Adamg
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #40
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
dosraider - "As some 100 topics a day:
What must I download? I don't understand all this stuff 'cause I'm compy n00b. Can you PLZ give me a beginners explanation? From A to Z in easy steps. KTHXBAI."

dosraider - "And check your UHarc facts again, you missed a lot it seems.(Especially how to run it in a comm window)."

To unzip a .7zip file, first you must download 7Zip. Open your internet browser, and go to http://www.7-zip.org. Once you are there, click on the "Download" link on the left side of the screen, it's three lines below "Home". If you can't figure that out, go to the appropriate link that follows for which operating system you are using. (Most likely you are using Windows if you don't know what your using.)

7zip for Windows download; http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z457.exe

Detailed instructions for downloading 7zip for other operating systems can be found at this page; http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Once 7zip is downloaded, start the program and follow the instructions to install it. After 7zip is installed, all you need to do is double-click on the archive you want to open with it. If you need further instructions, feel free to ask.
you actually told him how to uzip an archive? rofl