Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #91
AJBuwalda
Lurker

Default Great!

This game is awe-inspiring! I used to play this with friends all the time... That was back in the day that the keyboard allowed more than 3 buttons to be pushed at once. Having one play with the mouse and player 2 with the keyboard makes it work though! The sheer onslaught of content makes this a keeper.

AJBuwalda is offline                         Send a private message to AJBuwalda
Old 27-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #92
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I really love this game, beats any SNES or Aracde games. The music is awesome,gfx and sounds are also good, the upgrade system was pretty unquie for the time, and theres a story.
Too bad at episode 4/5 the game gets stupid(shooting eyes, mouths,lips and fruits, ahh come on!!!!)
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #93
Cengco

Default One of the best shooters

Tyrian 2000 is one of the best DOS-Shooters beside Stargunner. Better than Raptor or other games of this genre.
Cengco is offline                         Send a private message to Cengco
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #94
ScytheKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Run the game's setup and configure it accordingly. DOSBox' defaults are Sound Blaster 16, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

Furthermore:
1. Change Core to Dynamic in Dosbox.conf
2. Increase cycles.
3. Increase frameskip.
4. If that's still not enough, decrease the details.
Can you give anything more specific.. I can't get the sound to work under VDM-Sound ((hasn't stopped me from finishing the game a couple of times))

however I simply can NOT get stable speed using Dosbox.. no mater what I try the game randomly jumps between crippled snail and hyperdrive overload...
ScytheKnight is offline                         Send a private message to ScytheKnight
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #95
Acethor
HECU Marine

My favorite arcade shooter of all time... The "ship customizing" portion of the game + storyline and music are what sets this game apart from others for me.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #96
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheKnight View Post
Can you give anything more specific.. I can't get the sound to work under VDM-Sound ((hasn't stopped me from finishing the game a couple of times))

however I simply can NOT get stable speed using Dosbox.. no mater what I try the game randomly jumps between crippled snail and hyperdrive overload...
You might want to set DOSBox to a single cycles value - the "max" setting can produce very uneven results, and not always for the better.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #97
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
I really love this game, beats any SNES or Aracde games. The music is awesome,gfx and sounds are also good, the upgrade system was pretty unquie for the time, and theres a story.
Too bad at episode 4/5 the game gets stupid(shooting eyes, mouths,lips and fruits, ahh come on!!!!)
I agree with every one of the thing you said, even the stupidity of the lasts episode (but that doesn't mean that they aren't fun as all hel ;P). I love this game, even when I am not a shooter lover. But THIS game is awesome!
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #98
ScytheKnight

Quote:
You might want to set DOSBox to a single cycles value - the "max" setting can produce very uneven results, and not always for the better.
I still have no idea what you're talking about... I set the CPU Core setting to Dynamic in the config file, but it doesn't matter what combination of frameskip or cycles I use the speed is wildly unstable... perhaps if you where to give some specifics that didn't need a dosbox master to understand (IE don't assume that I know what the heck you're talking about, because chances are I DON'T) then I wouldn't be so damn confused...
ScytheKnight is offline                         Send a private message to ScytheKnight
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #99
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

cycles=max

change to

cycles=12000

And ingame, decrease the detail level in the options.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #100
ScytheKnight

Quote:
cycles=max

change to

cycles=12000

And ingame, decrease the detail level in the options.
Woot! Thanks mate, tried those settings and it's running better then it ever did under VDMS, and DAMN this game is fast...

[EDIT]
Hmmm. seems I spoke a bit too soon... game still slows to an absolute crawl on 'dark' missions... and even discounting that the speed is still a bit unstable and can slow down a bit when there are lots of enemies and/or platforms on the screen. Using the High graphics setting, 12000 cycles & 0 frame skips.

Last edited by ScytheKnight; 05-04-2009 at 09:39 PM.